Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

PRTB refuses the dispute with landlord

Options
  • 23-04-2018 7:09pm
    Registered Users Posts: 8

I have moved out from previous accommodation at the end of October. Unfortunately (stupid me) with 3 week spoken notice since 3-year relationship with landlord was very smooth and based on trust. They were not even in a particular rush to collect the keys. I left the appartment spotless clean (photographed all before leaving). The landlord never mentioned any issues.
    3 weeks later deposit was not returned. I texted them and in 2 more weeks they replied that the would be happy to return deposit but they did not have my bank details (weird, since all the time I was paying them monthly from one and the same account, which was also mentioned in the original contract). Info sent, still no deposit. Few more weeks later they are texting me telling that they are not sure how much they owe me. Looks like they simply are not going to return it.
    Filed the case with PRTB and got a letter today from PRTB telling "we do not have a current address for the respondent involved in this dispute". I copied the address that they provided me in the original contract. They also own a business, so if I send PRTB their business address, would it be accepted? I also provided PRTB with their phone numbers, but that seems not enough?
    What can I do if PRTB refuses assistance with the reason that they cannot find them? The landlords are 100% in Dublin, running their business successfully, and they are easy to google.

Comments

• Site Banned Posts: 28 FelchWivMe

I think you should just cut your losses and move on. Obviously you aren't being very truthful here and probably left the place in an absolute state. Probably very distressing for the landlord who will have to foot the bill. Disgusting behaviour

• Registered Users Posts: 8 greengrass90

FelchWivMe wrote: »
    I think you should just cut your losses and move on. Obviously you aren't being very truthful here and probably left the place in an absolute state. Probably very distressing for the landlord who will have to foot the bill. Disgusting behaviour

Not sure if you read my message. I mentioned that the landlord did not claim any damage or losses. There is a thread of personal messages between us after they checked the apartment and all of them just involve their promises to pay "tomorrow", but no issues or complaints.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,357 ✭✭✭hawkelady

Well this escalated quickly !!!

• Registered Users Posts: 632 ✭✭✭return guide

FelchWivMe wrote: »

WOW.... I hope you are having a bad day and this is not your normal demeanor.

OP have you tried talking to the landlord rather than text?

We were always texting with them, and also now I thought it is better to keep on texting to have at least some written proofs on where it is going.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,121 ✭✭✭amcalester

Did you tell her he landlord how much you are owed?

The landlord asking for your bank details and the amount certainly sounds like they’re going to pay you.

Granted it’s taking a while but you haven’t exactly exhausted all avenues with the landlord.

amcalester wrote: »
    Did you tell her he landlord how much you are owed?

The landlord asking for your bank details and the amount certainly sounds like they’re going to pay you.

Granted it’s taking a while but you haven’t exactly exhausted all avenues with the landlord.

Yes, the sum of the paid deposit is in the contract that we both signed and they have a copy of it. When I asked them if 3 week notice is OK, they told it was grand since the last time the visited apartment was in good condition and due to the popular area they could rent it in a second.

What seems suspicious to me first that they never even remembered about the deposit. Weeks into that I remind them, and though they do not refuse directly, they ask for bank details (which they have by default). Again weeks of silence, my reminder, and another excuse "how much do we owe you". I do reply and then silence again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 383 ✭✭cinnamony

We were always texting with them, and also now I thought it is better to keep on texting to have at least some written proofs on where it is going.

OP keep those texts and any other electronic communication you may have. I had problems with a LL before too and when I asked for legal advice I was told to use these as proof. I also provided things like bank statements to show I had paid rent and a deposit!

Just because you send them money by bank transfer doesn’t mean they have your bank details. It doesn’t work like that.

And they’ve probably lost the original contract.

How long is it since you’ve confirmed your bank details and the amount owed? And what have they said about the delay?

cinnamony wrote: »
    OP keep those texts and any other electronic communication you may have. I had problems with a LL before too and when I asked for legal advice I was told to use these as proof. I also provided things like bank statements to show I had paid rent and a deposit!

I am happy to provide all that to PRTB but as I mentioned they refuse opening the case since they cannot find the landlord's new home address.

• Advertisement

Just because you send them money by bank transfer doesn’t mean they have your bank details. It doesn’t work like that.

And they’ve probably lost the original contract.

How long is it since you’ve confirmed your bank details and the amount owed? And what have they said about the delay?

Moved out last day of October, they collected the key in a week's time. First reminder sent to them early December. They asked for bank details early January, sent them the info immediately. Sent the reminder again late January, they asked about the sum and nothing after I pointed out the sum and that it was in their contract as well.

Moved out last day of October, they collected the key in a week's time. First reminder sent to them early December. They asked for bank details early January, sent them the info immediately. Sent the reminder again late January, they asked about the sum and nothing after I pointed out the sum and that it was in their contract as well.

So nearly 3 months since they’ve had both the bank details and the amount, doesn’t look good for you.

You need to get the landlords address in order to lodge a dispute.

Is it on the contract?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,285 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

OP- ring them and talk to them?
    They haven't disputed that they owe you the deposit- however, they also haven't returned it.
    I'm not entirely sure how/why the RTB don't have current address details for the landlord (unless of course they haven't registered the following tenancy- or have refused receipt of a registered letter- leading the RTB to believe the address must be wrong.

If they have a business- websites like Solocheck.ie have all registered addresses on public facing websites- put the name of the landlord, their business name and solocheck.ie into google- and see what comes back- and use this as the formal address at which to contact them?

Given that they have not disputed that they owe you the money- I'd imagine its more a case of organising how to collect it (hell, it may even suit them to hand it to you in cash, though I absolutely hate cash with a passion myself).

Ring them and talk to them?

So nearly 3 months since they’ve had both the bank details and the amount, doesn’t look good for you.

You need to get the landlords address in order to lodge a dispute.

Is it on the contract?

I provided PRTB with the address that I have on the original contract, but they returned the letter with the message that they cannot find them (maybe they moved out?). They are still in Dublin, they own few businesses here and I have the main address of their business with proofs that they are the owners, but I am not sure if they accept it.

OP- ring them and talk to them?
    They haven't disputed that they owe you the deposit- however, they also haven't returned it.
    I'm not entirely sure how/why the RTB don't have current address details for the landlord (unless of course they haven't registered the following tenancy- or have refused receipt of a registered letter- leading the RTB to believe the address must be wrong.

If they have a business- websites like Solocheck.ie have all registered addresses on public facing websites- put the name of the landlord, their business name and solocheck.ie into google- and see what comes back- and use this as the formal address at which to contact them?

Given that they have not disputed that they owe you the money- I'd imagine its more a case of organising how to collect it (hell, it may even suit them to hand it to you in cash, though I absolutely hate cash with a passion myself).

Ring them and talk to them?

First of all, thanks a lot for reminding me about Solocheck!!! Just did the report and guess what, their home address is still the same as stated in my contract!

Will give them a call, but at this stage it seems that they were contacted by PRTB and refused the registered mail.

• Registered Users Posts: 324 ✭✭beaufoy

Best not to phone the person receiving the call might lie and say you threatened them during the call, and unless you record the phone call you cannot prove you did not make threats

• Closed Accounts Posts: 118 ✭✭r0qi4162fux9kg

Just an idea.
    Could you go down to their ‘business’ and demand the deposit be returned?
    Bring a couple of friends and bed in until they come to their senses.

It’s ridiculous that this carry on is still ongoing!

Advertisement