Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

2008 Civic 1.8

13»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,491 ✭✭✭bidiots

Mmm. It’s dropped to 2900.
    I know car is 10 years old. But is a car with 163,000 miles just waiting for things to go wrong even more so.
    It will be 11 years old by the time you make a decision tbf..(I've bought two cars since you started the thread)
    ;0)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,943 ✭✭✭from_atozinc

bidiots wrote: »
    It will be 11 years old by the time you make a decision tbf..(I've bought two cars since you started the thread)
    ;0)

Whats your address?

......I need to post you a medal :)

Yes, I know im over thinking etc Just want to be sure on spending dosh.

But is the 163,000 MILES a lot and things just start failing around this kind of mileage.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,917 ✭✭✭✭Toyotafanboi

I think you're thinking too hard. Go view it, if it drives ok, buy it. There can be unknown issues with any second hand car no matter how well it's looked after or how deep you scrutinise it.

Sure it's been bounced around through the trade and there's no documented history but it is a semi obscure car.

At the same time if it's a high miler they are oftern more likely to have been easier miles, 160 motorway miles could be much easier on the car than 60 stop/ start miles. It also wouldn't have made it to this mileage if it hasn't been serviced to some degree. If the engine sounds nice and quiet and the oil is a good colour the engine is likely fine. Same with the gearbox take the car on a long drive, town and motorway, if it's changing gear fine it probably is fine.

If it's in reasonable health there's no reason why it won't last indefinitely longer.

If you buy it and the gearbox craps itself in 3 months time, the trader probably didn't know there was an issue and the same thing could happen to a one owner full history car. There is a huge element of luck in "older" car buying. Thats the risk you are taking with one of these regardless of mileage or history, if it happens you'll always be on your own.

Advertisement