Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

La Flamme Rouge **off topic discussion**

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,442 ✭✭✭LollipopJimmy

I never used Fitzcycles, not my locality at all but it's always sad to hear of an independent shop in trouble. I won't cross the door of any of the 'Superstores', I'm into the personal touch.

Cycling along the canal this morning and I pass a guy, he wasn’t exactly hanging around but neither was I, time wasn’t on my side today. So I pass him and then he grabs my wheel only to make a big sprint that Peter Sagan would have been proud of to get back in front of me then drops back to the original speed he was at before I passed. I wasn’t getting into a willy measuring competition so I hung back but people are saps

• Registered Users Posts: 4,520 ✭✭✭Alek

I'm into the personal touch

Even if it means not paying the employee for a month of work, because "this has covered the costs of the training he received"? Heard from the horses' mouth, but mods feel free to delete if needs be.

I bought two bikes there personally and in fairness I can't recall any too positive memories this has left.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,218 ✭✭✭✭Hurrache

I never used Fitzcycles, not my locality at all but it's always sad to hear of an independent shop in trouble. I won't cross the door of any of the 'Superstores', I'm into the personal touch.

In fairness to Cycle Superstore it's the same owner, and possibly a same employee or two, from when it was a small little place.

He built it right up to what it is now, it's not like a large multinational coming in and buying the little guys out. I wouldn't punish them for being big and successful, unless it was done by nefarious means.

Alek wrote: »
    Even if it means not paying the employee for a month of work, because "this has covered the costs of the training he received"? Heard from the horses' mouth, but mods feel free to delete if needs be.

I bought two bikes there personally and in fairness I can't recall any too positive memories this has left.

Jaysis, like I said, I'd no experience of the store in question.
    Hurrache wrote: »
    In fairness to Cycle Superstore it's the same owner, and possibly a same employee or two, from when it was a small little place.

He built it right up to what it is now, it's not like a large multinational coming in and buying the little guys out. I wouldn't punish them for being big and successful, unless it was done by nefarious means.

I was using the term 'Superstore' in a more general term, I wasn't referring directly to those boys.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 11,391 Mod ✭✭✭✭Captain Havoc

I've only ever had good experiences in CSS.

https://ormondelanguagetours.com

Walking Tours of Kilkenny in English, French or German.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 173 ✭✭CormacH94

Cycling along the canal this morning and I pass a guy, he wasn’t exactly hanging around but neither was I, time wasn’t on my side today. So I pass him and then he grabs my wheel only to make a big sprint that Peter Sagan would have been proud of to get back in front of me then drops back to the original speed he was at before I passed. I wasn’t getting into a willy measuring competition so I hung back but people are saps

Had something similar a few weeks back commuting from Dun Laoghaire, was pushing a decent pace, passed this chap out, he didnt take too kindly to it and started bombing it past me eventually slowing down, passed him again, this happened a few times (maybe he was doing intervals???) until I hit a red light, stopped and he goes wizzing past me through traffic and all, just to get ahead of me, couldn't believe what I was seeing.

Still ended up passing him...

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,796 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

Fitzcycles were always good to me when I called in, kept up the niceties even if they were out the door in the background. I hope they get sorted with somewhere
    I've only ever had good experiences in CSS.
    Same here, one bad experience where a guy behind the counter seen my boards jersey and went on a rant about what a bunch of assh&ts the people on the boards adverts forum were for stealing all their business. I never seen him again though and everyone else I have met there have been really sound.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,766 ✭✭✭✭tomasrojo

• Registered Users Posts: 8,132 ✭✭✭dinneenp

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,422 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

CramCycle wrote: »
    Same here, one bad experience where a guy behind the counter seen my boards jersey and went on a rant about what a bunch of assh&ts the people on the boards adverts forum were for stealing all their business. I never seen him again though and everyone else I have met there have been really sound.
    interesting timing, i'd been talking to derek in humphries about wheel options for the bike i bought on the ad forum here, but got sorted, also on here, for wheels.

was around there today picking up supplies so was expecting to have to say to him that i got sorted elsewhere. was dealing with jimmy instead though.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,422 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 11,391 Mod ✭✭✭✭Captain Havoc

17h24, all the parking wardens are gone home for the day.

https://ormondelanguagetours.com

Walking Tours of Kilkenny in English, French or German.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,730 ✭✭✭✭dahat

Quick question rather than opening a thread....

As a M40 license holder can i race the A3 Championships in September? Or am i limited to Masters 40-49 Category?

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,269 Mod ✭✭✭✭Chips Lovell

dahat wrote: »
    As a M40 license holder can i race the A3 Championships in September? Or am i limited to Masters 40-49 Category?

No. You can only do one, the M40. You need to have Senior on your licence to do the A3.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,730 ✭✭✭✭dahat

No. You can only do one, the M40. You need to have Senior on your licence to do the A3.

Thanks, suspected so. That was a huge error.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,180 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

im beginning to feel sorry for these lads now, i wish the police put as much effort into policing the canals and deterring bike thefts

https://twitter.com/sanzscript/status/1126144093615267842

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

Is that a regular scooter or motorised one, hard to tell :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Is that a regular scooter or motorised one, hard to tell :confused:

Its a Xiaomi escooter (M365 etc).

• Registered Users Posts: 569 ✭✭✭Peter T

People shooting/ burning each other out of it in parts of the country and they have 3 garda pulling someone on a scooter :confused:

well, they have been policing parking in cycle lanes in certain (limited?) parts of the city recently, so someone in the garda hierarchy decided 'we'd better clamp down on everyone else too lest we be accused of bias'.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,484 ✭✭✭manafana

Those scooters solve a problem, people are using them for a reason, anything that gets people out of cars should be regulated to be used, obviously no one wants them going at 50kmph, but 20-25kmph u see banded around to fit in with normal bike speeds seems fine, i dont find them overly an issue on the bike paths and regulation then keeps them off foot paths.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,796 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

Peter T wrote: »
    People shooting/ burning each other out of it in parts of the country and they have 3 garda pulling someone on a scooter :confused:

You have a point but there is also another point that the Gardai, nay any police force, should not focus solely on the "major" crimes, as to do so would inevitably lead to an increase in minor crimes which would then lead to larger issues. Do I think they should be busting people on scooters as targeted operations though, no. Gardai on walkabout or driving around should use Garda discretion and take scooters of those using it on footpaths or contra to the flow of traffic but for the moment, until it becomes an issue, ignore the rest.

The Garda system is its own best friend and also it's worst enemy. Few police forces have the power of discretion that the Gardai often use quite well, unfortunately the downside is there lack of engagement with more modern practices in regards recording of data and the heavy paperwork load mean that they ended up with regular beat gardai being unable to fufill their duties as quite simply, the paperwork would stop them having time to do their job, it is insanity, and then they end up on these targetted days, which will mean that all three of those Gardai are now desk bound for a day doing the paperwork. It is hard to believe that the Gardai are not unionised with the level of senseless waste built into the system.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,073 ✭✭✭buffalo

CramCycle wrote: »
    It is hard to believe that the Gardai are not unionised with the level of senseless waste built into the system.

http://www.gra.ie/

• Registered Users Posts: 167 ✭✭Torres09

silverharp wrote: »
    im beginning to feel sorry for these lads now, i wish the police put as much effort into policing the canals and deterring bike thefts

https://twitter.com/sanzscript/status/1126144093615267842

So 7 Gardai on scooter checkpoint WOW!!! ! Head down to Darndale on any given day/time and will you see ANY Gardai stopping (let alone have a checkpoint) lads on motorbikes speeding/no insurance/driving on footpaths green areas/ breaking red lights etc etc will you fcuk, I've seen them on numerous occasions just drive by and ignore the lawlessness....

• Registered Users Posts: 6,840 ✭✭✭CrowdedHouse

I see Marcel Kittel has 'mutually consented' with Katusha

https://twitter.com/TourDeJose/status/1126412306655657986

Seven Worlds will Collide

• Registered Users Posts: 24,987 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

manafana wrote: »
    Those scooters solve a problem, people are using them for a reason, anything that gets people out of cars..
    I hazard a guess that most users are not car owners as such and may be simply getting themselves off public transport as opposed to cars.

(I do think they are a bit of a 'soft' target for AGS all the same).

I hazard a guess that most users are not car owners as such and may be simply getting themselves off public transport as opposed to cars.

I'm with you there, I would say these are people that previously walked or took public transport.

Dublin was gridlock again today due to a rope on the Luas power cable. We have the 7th most expensive public transport system in the world yet when one part of it falls down the whole city is ****ed

• Registered Users Posts: 1,585 ✭✭✭Mickiemcfist

Many people (including me a few years back) used to drive because the buses were too full. So reducing occupancy on buses could eventually lead to buses being backfilled with drivers.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,062 ✭✭✭cjt156

A 2 minute bike ride away from that checkpoint there is regular open drug dealing and taking, anti-social behaviour and muggings on the Liffey Boardwalk.

But young, working adults or students, reasonably affluent, with jobs and responsibilities to worry about, are much quieter & compliant to apprehend.
    So the Gardai make a nice public show of targeting them and leave the Boardwalk a no-go area, littered with syringes and human waste.

Your tax Euros at work.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,484 ✭✭✭manafana

cjt156 wrote: »
    A 2 minute bike ride away from that checkpoint there is regular open drug dealing and taking, anti-social behaviour and muggings on the Liffey Boardwalk.

But young, working adults or students, reasonably affluent, with jobs and responsibilities to worry about, are much quieter & compliant to apprehend.
    So the Gardai make a nice public show of targeting them and leave the Boardwalk a no-go area, littered with syringes and human waste.

Your tax Euros at work.

Jesus you could put that 2nd paragraph in your political leaflet, its the very type of sentence that ignores law braking because its seen as ok like road traffic incidents as long as your a good middle class person. I think most here agree they are been too heavy handed with the scooters and should have just pulled over those using footpaths, picking them out solely is silly.

Advertisement