Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

La Flamme Rouge **off topic discussion**

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,796 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

buffalo wrote: »

Not a union and I knew of them. the paperwork issue seems to come from higher up and a refusal to reform, with no attention paid to the clear frustration this brings on new recruits. I have a few friends who are Gardai, the "you are now talking to ..." thread with a Garda had the same highlights as conversations with them. When over half your working week is desk bound filling out forms, its no wonder they simply don't bother anymore.Only when a Super says we have a PR drive do they do it. In some occasions it works where they use discretion and the people they catch get a shock but more and more, I feel those they catch simply do not care.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,331 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

They are appointing new civil servants at the moments to take away a lot of the paper work that Gardaí have to do. Someone I know is due to start in the position soon, but they have to go through more clearance than a regular civil servant position it seems.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,062 ✭✭✭cjt156

manafana wrote: »
    Jesus you could put that 2nd paragraph in your political leaflet, its the very type of sentence that ignores law braking because its seen as ok like road traffic incidents as long as your a good middle class person. I think most here agree they are been too heavy handed with the scooters and should have just pulled over those using footpaths, picking them out solely is silly.

I never condoned any law breaking.

It's a question of what is prioritised and why.
    Are scooters causing harm on a widespread scale?
    Are the owners likely to kick off once stopped?

Now ask the same question of the drug dealers and their clientele just up the road. And ask why one is targeted and not the other.

Weepsie wrote: »
    They are appointing new civil servants at the moments to take away a lot of the paper work that Gardaave to do. Someone I know is due to start in the position soon, but they have to go through more clearance than a regular civil servant position it seems.

There is also the issue of what paperwork they are allowed do, my understanding is that there was concern if someone challenged and went to court something that was not processed by the Garda who was involved, if not why is it simply not an automated process like in the US. Handheld device, pick the appropriate rule broken, if no scannable form of ID, input name and address, and no more people interference unless they do not pay.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,269 Mod ✭✭✭✭Chips Lovell

cjt156 wrote: »
    I never condoned any law breaking.

It's a question of what is prioritised and why.
    Are scooters causing harm on a widespread scale?
    Are the owners likely to kick off once stopped?

Now ask the same question of the drug dealers and their clientele just up the road. And ask why one is targeted and not the other.

I think it's fair to say that the amount of Garda time that goes into policing illegal scooters is a tiny, tiny fraction of that which goes into general road traffic policing, which in turn is a fraction of the time which goes into policing drug-related crime.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,799 ✭✭✭✭zell12

Anyone know when Decathlon Dublin is due to open?
    all I know is '2019'

• Registered Users Posts: 173 ✭✭CormacH94

zell12 wrote: »
    Anyone know when Decathlon Dublin is due to open?
    all I know is '2019'

https://www.irishtimes.com/business/retail-and-services/decathlon-plans-nine-outlets-for-ireland-starting-with-ballymun-1.3762912

Early 2020 at best according to this

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,422 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

a couple of days ago we were being promised temps near the 20s for early next week.
    now according to met.ie, monday will enjoy a max of 11C with 40km/h southerlies.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,442 ✭✭✭LollipopJimmy

a couple of days ago we were being promised temps near the 20s for early next week.
    now according to met.ie, monday will enjoy a max of 11C with 40km/h southerlies.

Great. We've a fairly big day in the saddle planned for tomorrow, was hoping for decent weather

Few cheeky pints last night which is fine, however eating a batter burger and garlic cheese chips at 1.30 in the morning is never a good idea. The sooner the better I get back into fight camp and stop this messing :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,440 ✭✭✭cdaly_

"Promised"?...

Anyway, forecast models run in Kelvin so 20C == 293.15K, 11C == 284.15K. That's like only a 3% difference, pretty near...

;)

• Advertisement

cdaly_ wrote: »
    "Promised"?...

Anyway, forecast models run in Kelvin so 20C == 293.15K, 11C == 284.15K. That's like only a 3% difference, pretty near...

;)

I was once "assured" of wind direction by someone who worked with Met Eireann ;) Never again will I trust such statements :pac:

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,422 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

cdaly_ wrote: »
    "Promised"?...
    yes, i believe it was legally witnessed by a peace commissioner.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,073 ✭✭✭buffalo

CramCycle wrote: »
    Not a union and I knew of them. the paperwork issue seems to come from higher up and a refusal to reform, with no attention paid to the clear frustration this brings on new recruits. I have a few friends who are Gardai, the "you are now talking to ..." thread with a Garda had the same highlights as conversations with them. When over half your working week is desk bound filling out forms, its no wonder they simply don't bother anymore.Only when a Super says we have a PR drive do they do it. In some occasions it works where they use discretion and the people they catch get a shock but more and more, I feel those they catch simply do not care.

When it's illegal for you to be in a union, the GRA is your union. :)

buffalo wrote: »
    When it's illegal for you to be in a union, the GRA is your union. :)

Quiet you,

Just looking and drooling over the fiftyone bikes website. Some amazing looking machines there. Even McGregors bike is cool in its own way

• Registered Users Posts: 24,987 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

Don't think it ever took off! :eek:

oer8zRJh.jpg

now they are saying 16C and 17km/h winds.
    WHAT IS THIS SORCERY?

did they fix that big satellite dish on the top of the building that makes the weather?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,766 ✭✭✭✭tomasrojo

My six-year-old is blaming the weathermen(*) for her currently having a cold.

(*) Her words, not mine.

EDIT: She was misreported. She said "weatherpeople".

• Registered Users Posts: 11,766 ✭✭✭✭tomasrojo

• Registered Users Posts: 6,484 ✭✭✭Fighting Tao

It hit 20 degrees up at the Wicklow gap today. I have sun burn to testify to it.

• Advertisement

It hit 20 degrees up at the Wicklow gap today. I have sun burn to testify to it.

It was ok up Sally Gap, I was glad of the long sleeves and under armour on my legs

• Registered Users Posts: 6,484 ✭✭✭Fighting Tao

It was ok up Sally Gap, I was glad of the long sleeves and under armour on my legs

I went to Sally Gap via Kippure and the max temp o. The way as 15 degrees. The wind made it feel very cold at the crossroads.

Knockmaroon and Ballyglass Rd I say.

North County is fairly limited steepness wise. Ducky Rooney's Lane and Ardgillan are 2 that come to mind.

(Snowtown is in Co Meath).
    I found what I assume if the ardgillan climb earlier, albeit as a downhill for me today. Looks like a nice climb, will have to go back to try it

I found what I assume if the ardgillan climb earlier, albeit as a downhill for me today. Looks like a nice climb, will have to go back to try it
    Just checked your Strava ride - yup that was it.

(You could have taken in Ducky Rooney's Lane today also. When you crossed the R132, and turned right at Hedgestown School, if you had turned left instead it would bring you up it.)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,271 ✭✭✭koutoubia

Cant believe you have never been up to Ardgillan from the coast road!
    Also as WA has mentioned turn left at Hedgestown and then right for a small little kick in the nuts!

Maybe its time for another Boards trip around the cafe's laneways of NCD!

i've only been out in balrothery or balbriggan a few times on the bike actually.

Anytime I get to Laytown I wish I could keep going along the coast to Balbriggan and beyond and not have to use the R132 or smaller roads the other side of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,271 ✭✭✭koutoubia

Anytime I get to Laytown I wish I could keep going along the coast to Balbriggan and beyond and not have to use the R132 or smaller roads the other side of it.
    Down the coast from Balbriggan to Skerries. Through Skerries (with a stop for a coffee and a scone in LA Bakery highly recommended) and up the coast to Loughshinney. Take a right in Lshinney and then either the first or second left onto the back roads will eventually take you into Lusk. From Lusk go across Quickpenny back onto R132 at Murtaghs.
    A far more pleasant way!

I'm not sure if you are aware but you can cross the pedestrian bridge and continue south for another bit on back roads (via Mosney) and come out nearer to Balbriggan at Gormanston.

The lower end of this segment: https://www.strava.com/segments/18081595

• Advertisement

Yeah been that way a few times now.

Advertisement