Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

La Flamme Rouge **off topic discussion**

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,189 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

god help cyclists out there at the moment. utterly torrential on the northside at the moment, and a light show to boot.

I was praying to be on the wimp list today after a tiring spin yesterday, wish granted, it was clear that weather was going to be dodgy this afternoon

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,422 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

i don't think it's fully passed yet, this is the radar from met.ie - the weather is coming from slightly WNW of W.

481287.png

• Registered Users Posts: 18,189 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

West dublin getting it, cloudburst hail, lightening

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

• Registered Users Posts: 4,500 ✭✭✭VW 1

We've been told in work that they'll cover a taxi cost for cyclists due to risk from thunder and lightning, but how dangerous/risky is it actually? I hate going with a car option if I have the bike available.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,442 ✭✭✭LollipopJimmy

I sold my POS commuter over the weekend because I will be taking delivery of a nicer fixie that I picked up for a song so took the 'good' bike in today. Balls anyway I don't even have lights with me

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,987 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

VW 1 wrote: »
    We've been told in work that they'll cover a taxi cost for cyclists due to risk from thunder and lightning...
    You must have a very unusual employer. My employer wouldn't care if I crawled home on my belly in the snow.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,331 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

god help cyclists out there at the moment. utterly torrential on the northside at the moment, and a light show to boot.

I got caught in the 1-1.30 downpour. I thought that was bad until I saw the later one

• Registered Users Posts: 5,442 ✭✭✭LollipopJimmy

Friggin soaked

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,450 ✭✭✭Harrybelafonte

Drenched and the water running down the hill from Whitehall to Drumcondra smelled distinctly of sewage, so many thanks to the bus that hit me with a medium-sized wave of it. Hello also to the lads hiding in the bus stop with all the touring bikes

• Registered Users Posts: 11,766 ✭✭✭✭tomasrojo

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,500 ✭✭✭VW 1

You must have a very unusual employer. My employer wouldn't care if I crawled home on my belly in the snow.

They are decent enough, didn't take the offer,cycled and was soaked. Five mins home and the rain had totally abated.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,668 ✭✭✭sheroman01

The key to my U-lock snapped off as I was trying to unlock it. The remaining part now is now jammed in the lock! Anyone else have a similar problem? I'm guessing I haven't many options as to getting this fixed or getting the U-Lock removed? I have it locked on the back wheel. I guess worst case remove the back wheel?

Are you able to get at the part in the lock with a pliers maybe?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,799 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

Are you able to get at the part in the lock with a pliers maybe?

I had similar and eventually got it out with a needle nose pliers. Had to use the spare key after though as the shaft was no longer long enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,668 ✭✭✭sheroman01

Was rushing and had to leave so will have more time at it tomorrow. 80% of the key is in the lock, doubt it's possible to get at with a pliers but will try tomorow!

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Water ingress in disk detainer locks can lock them totally.

WD40 works wonders. Use liberally then try removing the key. A tweezers for eyelashes etc may be useful here.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,440 ✭✭✭cdaly_

sheroman01 wrote: »
    I have it locked on the back wheel. I guess worst case remove the back wheel?

If you can do this, you're not locking the bike properly. If you lock the back wheel through the rear triangle you shouldn't be able to remove the wheel...

• Registered Users Posts: 15 Romaine

Phil Gaimon is trying to qualify for a spot on the US team pursuit squad. Do cycling people actually like him?

I dunno, I read his books and went off and bought a road bike for half nothing, that had been languishing in a shed from the bike to work scheme, as a consequence.

His content is worth a look, real self-deprecating sense of humour but you can see a bit of fire now that he's training for something.

• Registered Users Posts: 985 ✭✭✭Miklos

I like Phil, he's always poking fun at the seriousness of road cycling and he writes quite well.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,484 ✭✭✭manafana

His books are very good, but yes sometimes he can grind and he won't be everyones cup of tea, but what hes doing now is great and his colombia videos where some of his best content

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,731 ✭✭✭✭dahat

Looking to get a sleep & hr fitness wearable tracker, it's more for resting hr and sleep than steps.

Anyone recommend a reasonably priced device?

Foibit alta HR seems to be mentioned on a few site.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,381 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

sheroman01 wrote: »
    The key to my U-lock snapped off as I was trying to unlock it. The remaining part now is now jammed in the lock! Anyone else have a similar problem? I'm guessing I haven't many options as to getting this fixed or getting the U-Lock removed?
    I have gotten broken keys out by putting a tiny dot of superglue on the broken key and sticking it back into glue onto the left over bit.

My last one did not work though, had to take an angle grinder to it. Not a total loss though, I cut it close to the shackle so had a large left over U shape bit of steel. I put this in a bench vice and closed it over on itself after putting it through the link of a decent motorbike chain, so now the 2 cut ends were touching quite a bit. I then got it welded up so it became a noose lock, which is an efficient use of a chain, which at first glance might not look as strong but is making use of the "weakest link" logic.

41R3Kxz+F+L.jpg

noose-lock-vs-chain-lock.gif

04_11_07_0917_208.jpg

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,422 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

https://twitter.com/dublincycling/status/1133810435071913984

what if i see a bloke out on his bike struggling in a clearly inapproriate gear?
    to be fair, i know attitudes to women cycling, and of women to cycling is something DCC are tackling.

There was a great comment in the replies "not my monkey, not my circus"

The most common thing I see isn't gearing , it's saddles being far too low. Often occurred to me that I should maybe offer some advice but thought better of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,236 ✭✭✭Idleater

The most common thing I see isn't gearing , it's

Helmet perched on the Parietal eminence according to a quick Google search.

"You know that's absolutely no use in any........" Sigh, never mind.

Its the saddles that are too high that bug me, inefficient gearing is what they want to do, if they wanted to spin an easier gear, they would have changed it already. Too high a saddle was pointed out to me on the bike one day, and it made the world of difference.

funny enough, i did pass a woman earlier in sutton; in her 60s, i'd guess, on a giant liv or something similar. she was pushing what looked like 50x12 into a headwind. obviously, not my place to say a word.

funny enough, i did pass a woman earlier in sutton; in her 60s, i'd guess, on a giant liv or something similar. she was pushing what looked like 50x12 into a headwind. obviously, not my place to say a word.

Nothing to say, anything you wold say would imply jealousy.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 15,750 Mod ✭✭✭✭smacl

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,897 ✭✭✭De Bhál

where is that?

Advertisement