Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

La Flamme Rouge **off topic discussion**

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,766 ✭✭✭✭tomasrojo

I *very occasionally* tell people that their lights are obscured by their coat/pannier/locks/mudguard/backpack. Usually I don't, but if it's totally obscured from the important angles, and it's a good light (they didn't just stick it on the bike to do the minimum to comply with the law), then I do sometimes.

And clothing taken off and drooping down from the waist/rear carrier, with a high possibility of wrapping up in the rear wheel. Even less often, but sometimes.

And, finally, people who have locked their bike by just the front wheel, but don't have security skewers. The least often of the three, but once in a while.

And, finally finally, I did once tell a postwoman that her saddle might be too low. But it was the lowest saddle I'd ever seen. She was doing the cycling equivalent of the Groucho Marx walk.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,422 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

i see hugh jackman has been spotted cycling around dublin and instagramming it.
    i dearly hope he takes photos of idiotic junctions and kamikaze motorists and starts posting them.

On a Brompton? I remember he was cycling around London on one.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,585 ✭✭✭Mickiemcfist

Only cycling since Sept/October & so far I prefer the winter. The amount of greenflies at the minute is driving me mental. I now understand the cycling glasses everyone wears.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,422 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

on howth yesterday, i spotted two people on what looked like folding fat e-bikes. like bromptons with comical tyres; i think the name i spotted on the bike began with a V?

• Advertisement

yep, not far off that at all.

edit: it was a vulcano i saw:
    https://www.amazon.co.uk/fat-bike-20-Folding-Bicycle-Electric-Assisted/dp/B01I50BN8E

• Registered Users Posts: 6,440 ✭✭✭cdaly_

Only cycling since Sept/October & so far I prefer the winter. The amount of greenflies at the minute is driving me mental. I now understand the cycling glasses everyone wears.

Don't forget to descend with your mouth closed. Coughing up flies as you hurtle down a mountainside is uncomfortable to say the least...

• Registered Users Posts: 24,987 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

smacl wrote: »
    Sweet Jesus - that's insane!

• Registered Users Posts: 141 ✭✭coward

cdaly_ wrote: »
    Don't forget to descend with your mouth closed. Coughing up flies as you hurtle down a mountainside is uncomfortable to say the least...

Wednesday was a strange bug-eating day for me. I ate way more than usual along the grand canal. Lots of flies about.

Wondering what's the largest insect you have (unintentionally!) eaten? I bee smacked into my lip and I was thankful that's as close as it got. Hurt like hell for the rest of the day.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 15,750 Mod ✭✭✭✭smacl

coward wrote: »
    Wondering what's the largest insect you have (unintentionally!) eaten? I bee smacked into my lip and I was thankful that's as close as it got. Hurt like hell for the rest of the day.

Wasp for me which I somehow managed to spit without being stung and just about stay upright while coming off the Wicklow gap a few years back. Since then I carry a couple of antihistamines in case I'm less lucky next time.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,171 ✭✭✭Rechuchote

smacl wrote: »

Got this message:
    Access Denied
    You don't have permission to access "http://dms.licdn.com/playback/C4E05AQEjYraLfYHecQ/feedshare-aws-analyzed_servable_progressive_video?" on this server.
    Reference #18.c5dedd58.1559384429.fe48683

• Registered Users Posts: 24,987 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

Rechuchote wrote: »
    Got this message:
    It was showing for me yesterday but today I get the 'access denied' message.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,667 Mod ✭✭✭✭RobFowl

Bad new from tonight is I can no longer gloat at Beasty that LFC have won 5 European cups.....

I did consider the Ikea hack thread for this, but not really bike-related, so here'll have to do:

https://twitter.com/xtop/status/1134908722990333952

• Registered Users Posts: 18,189 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

Forgot to cancel my Eurosport sub which lapsed and auto renewed today. I normally cancel it as they usually have an offer on during the GT's. Think full price last year was 59.99 and I paid 29.99 for the year taking up an offer of reduced price during the Giro last year. It renewed for 29.99 and full price today is 39.99. Result :)

The fook did I just see :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,442 ✭✭✭LollipopJimmy

Anybody ever brought the bike onto the ferry as a foot/bicycle only passenger? Any issues?

Myself and one of the lads are going to get the ferry to Holyhead from Dublin, cycle to Liverpool and take the Ferry back to Belfast then cycle back to Dub. Timings all look good and it's working out reasonably cheap. Just have no idea what to expect on the ferry, it's been about 20 years since the last time I needed to use a ferry

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,331 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

Irish Ferries have it as an option when booking, or did when I checked the other day. Im going to wales for a conference and toyed with idea of getting a boat over, cycling down and then cycling back.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,514 ✭✭✭OleRodrigo

You can book on as a solo traveler with a bicycle, at no extra cost. Usually you have to store it in the car park, fixing it to a pedestrian rail. There will be someone there to tell you were to put it before you head up to the passenger area.

Great way to travel.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,438 ✭✭✭Ryath

Can depend in on Ferry terminal too. I was sent on with cars going out through Roslare and put bike on car deck. On way back through Roscoff I had to go on with foot passengers lock bikeup in a corner on deck.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,976 ✭✭✭Plastik

Same on the Dublin - Holyhead route. You cycle on with cars at Dublin but at Holyhead you take the bike on a bus as a foot passenger.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,799 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

Depends on the ferry and port as well (some ferries can't use the pedestrian gangway, and in some the car ramp is too steep), long story short, you'll get on, might be walking, cycling or on the ferry bus but you will get on.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 11,391 Mod ✭✭✭✭Captain Havoc

Anytime I did it, I had to mount with the cars.

https://ormondelanguagetours.com

Walking Tours of Kilkenny in English, French or German.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,751 ✭✭✭Large bottle small glass

Walking up the south quay 5 minutes ago and met a group of cyclists on "adventure" type bikes.

Quick chat at lights and turns out they were at the start of this

https://www.transatlanticway.com/

Safe travelling and adventure to all involved over next 6 to 10 days or so. 2500km totally unsupported is quite a challenge

• Registered Users Posts: 1,817 ✭✭✭marvin80

Walking up the south quay 5 minutes ago and met a group of cyclists on "adventure" type bikes.

Quick chat at lights and turns out they were at the start of this

https://www.transatlanticway.com/

Safe travelling and adventure to all involved over next 6 to 10 days or so. 2500km totally unsupported is quite a challenge

Followed a few on twitter last year doing it - savage stuff

• Registered Users Posts: 1,794 ✭✭✭Mefistofelino

I see Olivia Dillon, former national champ and Rás na mBan winner, finished 5th at the Dirty Kanza 200 in the US at the weekend. She had led by over 3 minutes at one point but had a visit from the Puncture Fairy later in the race.

(The DK200 is probably the worlds' top gravel race)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,442 ✭✭✭LollipopJimmy

Thanks for the replies folks. Really looking forward to this cycle now, should be pretty cool. 350kms in 2 days and all on new roads.

The ferry is working out at €85 a head, they all seem to charge extra for bikes now but that's still cheap. Going from home to Dublin Port > Holyhead, biking it up to Liverpool, nice bite to eat then the ferry to Belfast. We were going to get a cabin but apparently there are plenty of places to snooze on the ship.

The last leg is then Belfast > Dublin.

We will leave on the Ferry around 2am on the Saturday morning and be back in Dublin on the Sunday night.

Advertisement