Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

La Flamme Rouge **off topic discussion**

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,484 ✭✭✭manafana

I see Olivia Dillon, former national champ and Rás na mBan winner, finished 5th at the Dirty Kanza 200 in the US at the weekend. She had led by over 3 minutes at one point but had a visit from the Puncture Fairy later in the race.

(The DK200 is probably the worlds' top gravel race)

puncture stories in DK are crazy, the tyre options ridden varied so much be interesting to see tech choosen by all, mens winner was sick should be pro but for coming so late to sport.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,333 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,424 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

Ultimate limit of human endurance found
    The ultimate limit of human endurance has been worked out by scientists analysing a 3,000 mile run, the Tour de France and other elite events.
    They showed the cap was 2.5 times the body's resting metabolic rate, or 4,000 calories a day for an average person.
    https://www.bbc.com/news/health-48527798

Weepsie wrote: »

Try again 4, 2 from Trek 2 from EF

+ a 3rd from EF who i'm not sure finished so in theory at least 5

• Registered Users Posts: 31,067 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

The ultimate limit of human endurance has been worked out by scientists analysing a 3,000 mile run, the Tour de France and other elite events.
    They showed the cap was 2.5 times the body's resting metabolic rate, or 4,000 calories a day for an average person.

Or 15 seconds of reading comments on thejournal.ie

• Advertisement

manafana wrote: »
    Try again 4, 2 from Trek 2 from EF

+ a 3rd from EF who i'm not sure finished so in theory at least 5

Was that Taylor Phinney? He suffered a lot with punctures but it said he was 198th I think

Was that Taylor Phinney? He suffered a lot with punctures but it said he was 198th I think

Yeah he got a load of punctures, listening to podcast sounds like most punctures happen in first 100 when people ride in groups, once solo you pick your lines and become bit more smart about it.

Guy who won it really should be a pro,

• Registered Users Posts: 18,189 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

it would be interesting to see this discussed with the "J curve" of benefits and negatives of exercise

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

• Registered Users Posts: 16,731 ✭✭✭✭dahat

Garmin 520 issues again... Won't power on but connection to PC works fine. The device can be accessed as per normal.

Prayers to be said for the nighttime fairies to fix it.

dahat wrote: »
    Garmin 520 issues again... Won't power on but connection to PC works fine. The device can be accessed as per normal.

Prayers to be said for the nighttime fairies to fix it.

Any use?

Worked on my uncles one a few months back.

• Advertisement

Tried but to no avail, screen won't turn on at all. Looks like it may be end of life, disaster.

Currently trying to source one in a b & m between Tipperary and Cork. It isn't as easy as i thought!

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,667 Mod ✭✭✭✭RobFowl

dahat wrote: »
    Tried but to no avail, screen won't turn on at all. Looks like it may be end of life, disaster.

Currently trying to source one in a b & m between Tipperary and Cork. It isn't as easy as i thought!

Halfords stock them if you can find one nearby...

RobFowl wrote: »
    Halfords stock them if you can find one nearby...

None in stock according to the site.

Thinking now if the 520 is a viable purchase as updates will stop eventually with the 530.

The Wahoo would be good and cheaper once i can be sure it will download workouts from Training Peaks.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,442 ✭✭✭LollipopJimmy

Is it cost effective to send it back to Garmin for repair?

I'll do that anyway but i need to source a unit asap. As the PC recognises it i'm sure it can be saved and if a reasonable price i'll get it done. I would be fairly sure they will advise of the cost bepfre going ahead with the repair.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,381 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

the auld "multiple use mobile health apparatus"

loads more on the Pathe channel

https://www.youtube.com/user/britishpathe/search?query=bicycle

anyone use google maps for directions? i had put the directions into a pc and texted it to my phone, it reverted to N roads when i has specifically picked the small roads.

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

I got a few laughs from this, seems to be a good new series Matt Stephens has going. Great seeing a pro get a flat and have to change it himself. Good insight to me anyway as to how normal life is for these lads, Blyths house would be like many of ours. I've sat there winding babies pre spin just like him. Credit to him though his house is a fair bit tidier for having a kid in it that ours is :D

I got a few laughs from this, seems to be a good new series Matt Stephens has going. Great seeing a pro get a flat and have to change it himself. Good insight to me anyway as to how normal life is for these lads, Blyths house would be like many of ours. I've sat there winding babies pre spin just like him. Credit to him though his house is a fair bit tidier for having a kid in it that ours is :D

Blyths a pure essex boy, changing the tyres are funny, some pros are as good mechanics as the guys working on their bikes, others call the wife/mum when they get a flat (ride tubeless now)

i might be immortalized, an Apple maps vehicle with a mounted camera UK reg passed me yesterday near the sallygap. was thinking what a waste of time and resources duplicating google

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,297 ✭✭✭secman

silverharp wrote: »
    i might be immortalized, an Apple maps vehicle with a mounted camera UK reg passed me yesterday near the sallygap. was thinking what a waste of time and resources duplicating google

Saw one yesterday parked up.in Ballycanew yesterday afternoon, thought it was a Google mapping car, but noticed Apple's logo on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,171 ✭✭✭Rechuchote

silverharp wrote: »
    anyone use google maps for directions? i had put the directions into a pc and texted it to my phone, it reverted to N roads when i has specifically picked the small roads.

Have you ever used Brouter?

http://brouter.de/brouter-web/#map=10/53.4697/-6.2636/standard&lonlats=-6.271305,53.361104;-6.15303,53.451465

Search for a placename, zoom in and click, search for another, zoom in and click, it'll find a route, Esc to finish the route, then tweak it as you like. You can save it in various formats then.

The RSA is bringing out a new Rules of the Road, and adding some useful cycling facts - well worth contacting them if you'd like to ask for something to be added.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,424 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

unfortunately i doubt they take requests...

random weird thought; some GPS units record temperature. how often do they record it? i.e. when a record of a ride is being written, does it include a single temperature reading, or multiple ones?
    just wondering if that's the sort of info which could be in any way useful to met eireann, tracking the variability of temperature as terrain changes.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,236 ✭✭✭Idleater

I get a graph throughout the recording (Garmin 500 and 820). Seems to record at whatever rate you set - I use 1second.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,333 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

Temperature measured by Garmin's can be wrong anyway. Read higher in sunlight due to the device heating up ,or if you're using it with a battery pack, so it doesn't read air temperature accurately all of the time.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,440 ✭✭✭cdaly_

random weird thought; some GPS units record temperature. how often do they record it? i.e. when a record of a ride is being written, does it include a single temperature reading, or multiple ones?
    just wondering if that's the sort of info which could be in any way useful to met eireann, tracking the variability of temperature as terrain changes.
    Check out https://wow.met.ie/. Recently available and still under development. It currently only allows static stations but I believe there exists the capability for mobile observations also. Don't know if/when that will be available though.
    Weepsie wrote: »
    Temperature measured by Garmin's can be wrong anyway. Read higher in sunlight due to the device heating up ,or if you're using it with a battery pack, so it doesn't read air temperature accurately all of the time.
    This is true of many modern data sources (eg. cars standing in traffic, mobile phone in your pocket etc) but there is potential for information to be gathered from the data in any case. For example, the 2000 garmins wandering around the Wicklow mountains on a Sunday morning could provide a lovely map of temperature variation which could then be used to inform the temperature forecast on https://www.met.ie.

There are some intriguing ideas out there for meteorology. I attended a talk last year from Erricsson on the subject of using telecoms microwave attenuation as a means to measure rainfall.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 6,845 Mod ✭✭✭✭eeeee

cdaly_ wrote: »
    Check out https://wow.met.ie/. Recently available and still under development. It currently only allows static stations but I believe there exists the capability for mobile observations also. Don't know if/when that will be available though.

This is true of many modern data sources (eg. cars standing in traffic, mobile phone in your pocket etc) but there is potential for information to be gathered from the data in any case. For example, the 2000 garmins wandering around the Wicklow mountains on a Sunday morning could provide a lovely map of temperature variation which could then be used to inform the temperature forecast on https://www.met.ie.

There are some intriguing ideas out there for meteorology. I attended a talk last year from Erricsson on the subject of using telecoms microwave attenuation as a means to measure rainfall.

This is all kinds of excellent

Advertisement