Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

La Flamme Rouge **off topic discussion**

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,799 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

silverharp wrote: »
    whats the good word on Schwalbe? I don't see them mentioned much but got them on a recommendation

For city/touring tyres, they are great, for racing tyres, they are satisfactory (personal opinion) but I wore through my schwalbe pro one in under a month of commuting, I found them slower too but that is most likely all in my head.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭Eamonnator

Feckin Mavic tyres, 4 punctures now in two weeks, two on each tyre and they look to be cut to shreds. Only 1200kms on them, they are a lovely tyre but the payoff is that they are very soft rubber.

Back to contis for me. Anybody get the GP5000s yet? Although there are some great deals to be had on the 4000s

I have a pair on my best wheels. They're lovely, grippy, roll really well and are as comfortable as 4000s. I cannot say anything yet about their longevity.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,987 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

whats the good word on Schwalbe? I don't see them mentioned much but got them on a recommendation
    Which ones? They come in all sorts from bomb proof to racing tyres.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,189 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

Which ones? They come in all sorts from bomb proof to racing tyres.

i was aiming more for their bomb proof features namely minimise chance of a puncture being the only criteria. I got the Durano DD. i saw one review saying they were heavy but not something i'd notice

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

anyone notice that there is a near permanent "cyclists light up" sign as you go over Pearse St Bridge in Dublin. why not share the love and have "motorists dont park i cycle lanes"?

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,442 ✭✭✭LollipopJimmy

Movie-extras.ie are looking for cyclists between 18-45 for anybody interested.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,890 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

i was aiming more for their bomb proof features namely minimise chance of a puncture being the only criteria. I got the Durano DD. i saw one review saying they were heavy but not something i'd notice

I've been using Lugano and Durano and they are indeed bomb-proof. Marathon-Plus supposedly tougher again.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 6,845 Mod ✭✭✭✭eeeee

Movie-extras.ie are looking for cyclists between 18-45 for anybody interested.

*Male

I think someone mentioned it a while back, it's a film about the 1998 Tour de France I think it was.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,442 ✭✭✭LollipopJimmy

nee wrote: »
    *Male

The ad said male and female

Capture.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 26 Missus Doubtfire

loyatemu wrote: »
    I've been using Lugano and Durano and they are indeed bomb-proof. Marathon-Plus supposedly tougher again.

I had Marathon Plus for over 2 years without any "P" words. (I don't want to tempt fate!) Commuting 20km e/w daily plus weekend leisure cycling.
    The only reason I don't have them now is I got a new bike. When the time comes I'll go back

file this under morons that probably shouldnt be on the road

https://twitter.com/CitizenW0lf/status/1139836847687962624

What a muppet, "you're viability is very low" but she could see enough of him to beep from a fair distance back. Beep Beep silly entitled bint coming through get off my road tax paid for road.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,381 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S259019821930017X?via%3Dihub#s0025

5. Conclusion
    In conclusion, this analysis supports the notion to accept, or even promote, e-bikes as a healthy and sustainable transport option based on e-bikers travel behaviour and self-reported mode substitution. Planers should be aware that e-bikers travel longer distances than cyclists. Thus, e-bikes might be used for longer commuting trips than non-electric bicycles. To accommodate (or promote) this new demand and to avoid conflicts with other road users in urban areas, cycling infrastructure should be expanded and may need to be adapted to accommodate higher speeds and address safety needs. The health benefits in terms of physical activity of using e-bikes, particularly when replacing car trips, should be factored in when considering subsidizing e-biking.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,171 ✭✭✭Rechuchote

rubadub wrote: »
    https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S259019821930017X?via%3Dihub#s0025

5. Conclusion
    In conclusion, this analysis supports the notion to accept, or even promote, e-bikes as a healthy and sustainable transport option based on e-bikers travel behaviour and self-reported mode substitution. Planers should be aware that e-bikers travel longer distances than cyclists. Thus, e-bikes might be used for longer commuting trips than non-electric bicycles. To accommodate (or promote) this new demand and to avoid conflicts with other road users in urban areas, cycling infrastructure should be expanded and may need to be adapted to accommodate higher speeds and address safety needs. The health benefits in terms of physical activity of using e-bikes, particularly when replacing car trips, should be factored in when considering subsidizing e-biking.

Terribly badly written, but I think they're saying ebikes are a good thing?

• Registered Users Posts: 32,381 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

Rechuchote wrote: »
    Terribly badly written, but I think they're saying ebikes are a good thing?
    yes, basically that people who switch to ebikes end up cycling more so there is a not such a big drop in exercise benefits.
    this data suggests that e-bike use leads to substantial increases in physical activity in e-bikers switching from private motorized vehicle and public transport, while net losses in physical activity in e-bikers switching from cycling were much less due to increases in overall travel distance.

Many posters here seem to think ebikes are pretty much motorbikes and you get pretty much no exercise from them. Myself and others pointed out it does require effort but you will also go on spins and or maybe a more scenic route simply since it is easy and a joy to cycle on ebikes.

I would go to distant shops as carrying home stuff is easy.

You can always lower the assist to get more exercise too, my ebike on lowest assist takes more effort to cycle than my hybrid. You could cycle to work with full assist, and get exercise on the way home as you can shower at home but may have none in work.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 6,845 Mod ✭✭✭✭eeeee

rubadub wrote: »
    Many posters here seem to think ebikes are pretty much motorbikes and you get pretty much no exercise from them. Myself and others pointed out it does require effort but you will also go on spins and or maybe a more scenic route simply since it is easy and a joy to cycle on

I don't think most posters on here think they're motorbikes.
    I have used an ebike, and there is a huge, huge difference in the effort required to go the distance/ terrain on both (I did a direct comparison on a spin). They're not comparable at all. On the ebike it didn't feel like I'd gone for a cycle at all. However I cycle a lot, it can be different for those who are not used to a lot of non e biking.

However I am fully pro ebikes. They get people out on bikes who wouldn't normally cycle, for a variety of reasons. I think a lot of people see them as an option for commuting instead of a normal bike.
    Anything that gets people out on bikes is a good thing full stop in my opinion.

It's got its own sport now too. I was shocked that the motorbike governing body wants to run e mtb races, for me I couldn't understand how it could be governed by any other organisation than the UCI.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,424 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

yeah, there seems to be an nearly overwhelmingly positive reaction to e-bikes on the forum in general, the only point of debate seems to be whether the 25km/h power cutoff should be changed or not.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,987 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

... the only point of debate seems to be whether the 25km/h power cutoff should be changed or not.
    Can the 25km/h limit be maintained uphill or just on the flat?

My only gripe with them is seeing a lot of users with Garmins etc. fitted and wonder if a user could head to the Sally Gap at an average of 25km/h.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,424 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

my understanding is that as long as the bike is doing under 25km/h, the motor can boost the power.
    that's on 'legal' bikes too. there's plenty of bikes i've seen where this has clearly been violated. not the greatest issue in the world, but yeah, it might skew some times on strava.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,766 ✭✭✭✭tomasrojo

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Can the 25km/h limit be maintained uphill or just on the flat?

My only gripe with them is seeing a lot of users with Garmins etc. fitted and wonder if a user could head to the Sally Gap at an average of 25km/h.
    my understanding is that as long as the bike is doing under 25km/h, the motor can boost the power.
    that's on 'legal' bikes too. there's plenty of bikes i've seen where this has clearly been violated. not the greatest issue in the world, but yeah, it might skew some times on strava.

Under 25kph they can output the full 250W. If you think that most cyclists aren't FTPing at that its a big help.

Say an 80KG rider on a 10KG bike sustains 200W. 2.2W/tKG
    Same rider on an eBike of 22KG eBike (Cannondale Hybrid, you can go lighter) is 4.4W/tKG!

On the flat they're slower but on climbs they can be way faster.

DAdOCFI.jpg

Strava had OOOOOOOOODLES of time to sort this. But ofc they've phoned it in. Quelle surprise. eBike riders have to record it on their Garmin/Wahoo/Whatever and then go back and edit the ride to an eBike ride. Im sure some do, most don't. You should be able to add a bike in my gear as an eBike and then default it so all rides are classified by default but you can't.

There are bike shops reportedly selling 2:1 eBikes to traditional, problem is only gonna get bigger.

Sample segment:
    https://www.strava.com/segments/4244156
    KOM is 316W. 250W for a meagre 10KG penalty is huge. And there are (not legal) 750W options.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,799 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

Considering the number of people who drive around getting segments, ebikes are the least problem for Strava. People wonder is it only the elite athletes who dope/cheat in high percentages and then you see Johnny Clipins hop in his car when he knows traffic is light to spin around Dublin targetting segments. It is really bizarre.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Froome and now Phil Gaimon. Tis the season for crashes eh?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,484 ✭✭✭Fighting Tao

CramCycle wrote: »
    Considering the number of people who drive around getting segments, ebikes are the least problem for Strava. People wonder is it only the elite athletes who dope/cheat in high percentages and then you see Johnny Clipins hop in his car when he knows traffic is light to spin around Dublin targetting segments. It is really bizarre.

I reported one a couple of days ago. It may not have sounded much but doing over 40km on a stretch I wouldn’t even drive it at was a bit rich. Bumpy concrete road, cracked, ramps, blind bend, to name just a few hazards. The spin has since been removed from strava.

the only time i ever reported a segment on strava, it came back as having already been investigated and allowed (i can't remember how it was phrased though).
    it was someone who managed a 5% climb at 50km/h, but on the same cycle, spent the first half averaging about 10km/h and the second half at an average of abuot 50km/h, including the uphills; and reached 84km/h on the N11 too. just a very strange looking cycle.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,731 ✭✭✭✭dahat

Stung on the lip by a bee at 6am, great start to the day.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 15,750 Mod ✭✭✭✭smacl

dahat wrote: »
    Stung on the lip by a bee at 6am, great start to the day.

Save a few bob on the botox bills so :) Always nervous I'll swallow one myself when gasping for air on climbs when sucking in through the teeth just isn't working for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,731 ✭✭✭✭dahat

smacl wrote: »
    Save a few bob on the botox bills so :) Always nervous I'll swallow one myself when gasping for air on climbs when sucking in through the teeth just isn't working for me.

Exactly what the wife said!!

A lip sting beats a swallow all day long.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,333 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

I was stung by one last year as I was descending into Enniskerry. Think I'd rather it happen uphill than downhill.

Advertisement