Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

La Flamme Rouge **off topic discussion**

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,799 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

tomasrojo wrote: »
    Someone's knockin' at the door
    Somebody ringin' the bell
    Do me a favor
    Open the door
    and let 'em in

Someone's knockin' at the door ...

• Registered Users Posts: 18,189 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

I don't know if it was a crush and run

https://twitter.com/Rich_OC/status/1146087951518130176

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

If you look at the larger image it looks like a splatter of blood on the front of the cab.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,189 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

If you look at the larger image it looks like a splatter of blood on the front of the cab.

it looks like it but there is no damage to the grill so would expect it to be something else. reading the comments it was a class piece of driving all the same, went up a street the wrong way, reversed I think out into Georges st without any help.

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

• Registered Users Posts: 24,987 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

silverharp wrote: »
    it looks like it but there is no damage to the grill so would expect it to be something else.....
    Presumably done by the rear of the truck while reversing and perhaps initially not realised by the driver.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,442 ✭✭✭LollipopJimmy

Somebody said on Twitter that the damaged bike was there a while and was already crushed

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,799 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

Somebody said on Twitter that the damaged bike was there a while and was already crushed

I seen that as well, said it was like that for a week, whereas the poster claimed the truck done all the damage. i imagine it was probably the truck hitting an already destroyed bike, not that excuses the lack of spatial awareness any the less.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,766 ✭✭✭✭tomasrojo

Yes, the bike was in bits already and for weeks too. I pass it every day. I did wonder if someone had driven over it, because the seat tube had snapped. But it was a total wreck anyway.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,426 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

random thought last night, after being close passed by a white van. stupid question: are you better off being clipped at speed?
    this is in the sense that if it's fast enough for the mirror mount to snap, it might impart less energy to your elbow; in the same way that a karate chop is better if done at speed, because if it's not fast enough, the wood won't break, and you'll get all that force transferred into your hand.

obviously, a wing mirror is not the same as a piece of wood, i understand.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,442 ✭✭✭LollipopJimmy

random thought last night, after being close passed by a white van. stupid question: are you better off being clipped at speed?
    this is in the sense that if it's fast enough for the mirror mount to snap, it might impart less energy to your elbow; in the same way that a karate chop is better if done at speed, because if it's not fast enough, the wood won't break, and you'll get all that force transferred into your hand.

I am happy to help with this experiment, I'll get a Transit from GoCar, get that elbow ready

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,176 ✭✭✭RobertFoster

I am happy to help with this experiment, I'll get a Transit from GoCar, get that elbow ready
    It'd be better if it was unexpected, for science.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,387 ✭✭✭cunavalos

700 mountain bikers down a ski slope at close to 100km/h funnelled through a narrow bottleneck.

What could possibly go wrong?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭Eamonnator

About 25 years ago, while cycling in the hard shoulder of the N1 south of Drogheda, I was struck by the mirror of a white VW van. It got me in the back. The mirror broke at the base. The van was travelling at about 100kph. The driver didn't stop. I wasn't knocked off the bike. I was badly winded and my back was black and blue for a couple of weeks, nothing broken
    Does this help with your conundrum?

Just to add, this happened at night, I had very good lights, front and back and was wearing hi-viz. I was unable to get the number of the van, but I retrieved the mirror and saw the VW logo on it. I went home, reported it the Gardai. My wife and I drove around Drogheda for about an hour. We found the van parked with it's left side right against a hedge. I spoke to the owner, who denied hitting me. He did, however, admit to thinking he had hit a bird(first time, I was mistaken for a bird), thus knocking off his mirror. Eventually, through his solicitor, he admitted hitting me.

Sorry for digressing so much.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,426 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

Eamonnator wrote: »
    Does this help with your conundrum?
    it's the first data point!

i guess you might have suffered cracked ribs?

Some new shorts needed after that I'd say, lucky not to be a statistic that night.

Some new shorts needed after that I'd say, lucky not to be a statistic that night.

Very lucky.
    I think pal needed new shorts, more than me, when I landed at his door.

it's the first data point!

i guess you might have suffered cracked ribs?

No, no cracked ribs, I was incredibly lucky. I managed to stay upright, mostly because at the time, I weighed about 17 stone. I had lots of fat as padding. And the van itself must have been millimetres from me.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,585 ✭✭✭Mickiemcfist

No, no cracked ribs, I was incredibly lucky. I managed to stay upright, mostly because at the time, I weighed about 17 stone. I had lots of fat as padding. And the van itself must have been millimetres from me.

Pretty impressive to have found the van in a place as big as drogheda. That's unbelievable, that should have been a criminal case also.

Pretty impressive to have found the van in a place as big as drogheda. That's unbelievable, that should have been a criminal case also.

My wife (more than I) doesn't give up, when she gets annoyed. She was very annoyed that night.
    The driver worked for a cleaning company, it was a company van. He would have lost his job, if his employers had found out about the incident. I didn't want that to happen.

• Registered Users Posts: 31,067 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

My wife (more than I) doesn't give up, when she gets annoyed. She was very annoyed that night.
    The driver worked for a cleaning company, it was a company van. He would have lost his job, if his employers had found out about the incident. I didn't want that to happen.

Are you actually Jesus?

• Advertisement

Lumen wrote: »
    Are you actually Jesus?

Far from it, I'm not even a Capricorn.

Meant to post this yesterday. Trek and Voxwomen have teamed up to show highlights of the Giro Rosa. They have an hours worth of highlights each day.

https://racing.trekbikes.com/girorosa?utm_medium=us_social&utm_campaign=Giro_rosa&utm_source=Twitter

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,365 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

Marlay park and its surrounds, crawling with Gaurds this weekend due to Longitude. Depressing to see that that hasn't changed driver behaviour at all. Still blatant red light breaking, dangerous overtaking of cyclists on the narrow 'back roads' of Marlay, stopping in advanced stop line despite the light being red before they got to it.
    Guards too busy on instagram themselves as they tap away on their phones it seems.

bought a pair of photochromatic cycling glasses in the LBS, i suspect they'd been on the display for a while. looked fine though.
    however, when they darken in bright light, there's an obvious 'ghost' of the sticker that had been on the lens, almost in the way a computer monitor would burn in; does this just happen at the start, or is it straight back to the shop with them?

saw something very like this today, except it was a proper mini parked beside an XC90. the difference was comical.

https://twitter.com/theJeremyVine/status/1147869121612275718

• Registered Users Posts: 24,987 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

saw something very like this today, except it was a proper mini parked beside an XC90. the difference was comical.

https://twitter.com/theJeremyVine/status/1147869121612275718
    I used to think my neighbour's Audi Q7 was fairly big until another neighbour bought a Cadillac Escalade and used to park it beside the Audi.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,176 ✭✭✭RobertFoster

I understand that cars have got bigger (thanks to crumple zones etc.), but you could compare any generation of Range Rover to Fiat 500 and the size difference would be comical.

Comparing the different generations, I think the Fiat gained more than the Range Rover.

Old vs new Range Rover: https://www.flickr.com/photos/60338281@N06/29233718837
    Old vs new Fiat 500: http://motoringme.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/11/Fiat_500_old_new_2.jpg

all granted, except that the range rover in the tweet above is probably being used for the same purpose the fiat 500 is.
    and the fiat 500 looks waaay cooler and is probably much cheaper too.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,263 ✭✭✭robyntmorton

Planning on taking the bike into work the next few days to see how I get on. N11 to the grand canal.

Anyone know any particular points to be wary of? It'll be just pre rush hour to work and rush hour return.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,073 ✭✭✭buffalo

Lots of glass in the cycle lane outside the Custom House (Dublin) this morning. I think it was drop-off point after the concerts in Marlay Park at the weekend. Don't get penned in by the orcas!

Advertisement