Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

La Flamme Rouge **off topic discussion**

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,189 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,799 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

Planning on taking the bike into work the next few days to see how I get on. N11 to the grand canal.

Anyone know any particular points to be wary of? It'll be just pre rush hour to work and rush hour return.

Depends where on the N11 your going from. The lane is a mix between grand and off road riding in parts. When I worked in Grand Canal Dock, I would have either turned off and went down by RTE or the RDS and headed in the rock road from there. Not sure if it was any better, it certainly seemed shorter and while both of those roads would be potential pinch points, I felt there was alot less than you would get on the N11 through Donnybrook and that final run into town.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,890 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

all granted, except that the range rover in the tweet above is probably being used for the same purpose the fiat 500 is.
    and the fiat 500 looks waaay cooler and is probably much cheaper too.

also 30 years ago hardly anyone drove 4x4s, now every second car is a bloody SUV to the extent that many manufacturers have phased out traditional saloons.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,263 ✭✭✭robyntmorton

CramCycle wrote: »
    Depends where on the N11 your going from. The lane is a mix between grand and off road riding in parts. When I worked in Grand Canal Dock, I would have either turned off and went down by RTE or the RDS and headed in the rock road from there. Not sure if it was any better, it certainly seemed shorter and while both of those roads would be potential pinch points, I felt there was alot less than you would get on the N11 through Donnybrook and that final run into town.

Join at Commons Road, through to Burlington Road. Most likely run there is either Donnybrook or Rock Road through to Baggot Street.

• Registered Users Posts: 31,067 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

loyatemu wrote: »
    also 30 years ago hardly anyone drove 4x4s, now every second car is a bloody SUV to the extent that many manufacturers have phased out traditional saloons.
    No, there are relatively few SUVs (4x4s) on the road. What's happened is that people are buying 2wd crossovers & MPVs which are more like estate cars on stilts, because they're easier to get in and out of, particularly with young kids.

I'd be mildly interested about whether a modern "tall" car is more comfy to get run under than (say) an old Volvo 240. I'd imagine that the initial impact is softer but there's further to fall.

• Advertisement

some of the older carparks can be quite difficult to use these, The Merrion centre in Ballsbridge for example, unless it was designed badly at the time (late 80's), it seemed to assumed that most people parking would be local housewives with the smaller "second car"

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,426 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

i live in a house built in 1953. even after having taken an angle grinder to the gates, there's about eight inches spare either side of the car (i'm including wing mirrors) when pulling in between the pillars. that's in an octavia.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,218 ✭✭✭✭Hurrache

And from my own experience visibility is much better in cross overs than in your standard hatchback, saloon or estate, which in theory should be better for all road users. The problem, as always, is usually the person driving.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,751 ✭✭✭Large bottle small glass

Hurrache wrote: »
    And from my own experience visibility is much better in cross overs than in your standard hatchback, saloon or estate, which in theory should be better for all road users. The problem, as always, is usually the person driving.

A & D pillars of SUVs are getting bigger. The human eye tends to ignore things at the edge of a "frame". That with the wider pillars leaves you with poorer visibility.

You might be able to see in over your neighbours ditch for a gawk but your view of other roads users is worse

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,426 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

best car i ever drove for visibility was my mum's rover metro. was 89 or 90 reg i think - something like this.

1989_rover_metro-pic-19823-640x480.jpeg

i suspect if you flipped one though, the roof would collapse like paper.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 31,067 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

I dunno, I rolled a 1993 Citroen ZX into a field at about 120kph, whilst it (and I) looked a bit second hand afterwards I didn't get any crushing injuries.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,176 ✭✭✭RobertFoster

best car i ever drove for visibility...
    Out or in?

tenor.gif

A & D pillars of SUVs are getting bigger. The human eye tends to ignore things at the edge of a "frame". That with the wider pillars leaves you with poorer visibility.

You might be able to see in over your neighbours ditch for a gawk but your view of other roads users is worse

I wouldn't entirely agree. As I said, this is based on my experience of the cars we have use of within our family, and the cross over has best of the lot, the huge mirrors help a lot too.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,799 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

Hurrache wrote: »
    I wouldn't entirely agree. As I said, this is based on my experience of the cars we have use of within our family, and the cross over has best of the lot, the huge mirrors help a lot too.

I have met alot of people driving the likes of the Nissan Qashqai who simply don't notice huge chunks of the corners as they turn. Now fair enough, my car is a Rav4 so not exactly one to compare but I drove my brother in laws one and the amount of visibility you lose, and I would have the where with all to rock back forth to get a better picture, is astounding. Alot of drivers wouldn't move around to get that better view so I would have to disagree. I have been sitting a a passenger, as well as driven, in several SUVs and the car on the opposite side practically disappears from view if its a small, old style, hatchback or saloon. Every person who drifts off thinking they don't have to pay attention while sitting at a Red, and there are alot, simply don't see it. Every morning on the N11 you hear beeps as SUVs merge over and the SEAT Ibiza or Fiesta needs to alert them that they are there.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,766 ✭✭✭✭tomasrojo

Not sure if it was any better, it certainly seemed shorter and while both of those roads would be potential pinch points, I felt there was alot less than you would get on the N11 through Donnybrook and that final run into town.

I would avoid going through Donnybrook from or to the N11 with any frequency. The cumulative risk of having a collision seems to me to steeply head up towards 1.

Every morning on the N11 you hear beeps as SUVs merge over and the SEAT Ibiza or Fiesta needs to alert them that they are there.

They aren't so high as to make it difficult see a car alongside them or coming from behind as you merge. Height hasn't much bearing in this situation if you have wing mirrors. The problem is the driver and their lack of use of mirrors and looking over their shoulder.

If there was a inherent problem due to the height and make up you'd be seeing the same with vans and pick ups, not uniquely with SUVs.

You said it yourself, the problem is the driver
    Every person who drifts off thinking they don't have to pay attention while sitting at a Red, and there are alot, simply don't see it.

Anyway, it's just a difference of opinion I suppose.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,073 ✭✭✭buffalo

Shamelessly stolen from YLYL:

XJn9XjC.jpg

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 6,845 Mod ✭✭✭✭eeeee

Wettest commute of the year coming home this eve I'd say, got caught in every downpour. Lovely smell in the park though.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,373 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

my OH rolled one into a field it didnt fold

• Registered Users Posts: 5,442 ✭✭✭LollipopJimmy

I haven't been able to train since Tuesday after my little commute crash. Left knee is swollen and covered in road rash - training this week was attacking the leg and single leg takedowns so timing was brutal

• Advertisement

Impressive

https://www.theage.com.au/national/victoria/fixie-riding-hash-brown-eating-vegan-wins-6800km-bike-ride-in-record-time-20190709-p525ku.html
    Four years ago, Abdullah Zeinab was riding his single-speed bike down St Kilda Road to work as a labourer.

Now the Melburnian is a record-breaking ultra-endurance cyclist, winning a race across the United States from the west coast to the east, subsisting on a vegan diet of mostly hash browns.

At nearly 6800 kilometres, it's almost twice as long as this year's Tour de France route.

The gruelling test of physical and mental endurance is made even more difficult by being entirely self-supported. Outside assistance is against the rules, meaning riders must source their own food and shelter for the length of the journey.

There are also no stages or set breaks – which means deciding how long to rest before getting back on the bike is a key part of strategy.

Zeinab finished in a record time of 16 days, 9 hours, and 56 minutes

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Must have a look at the details of what they were doing.
    Many of us at Strava have enjoyed using Relive over the last few years, but because of Relive’s recent updates, unfortunately, we have decided to end this integration. The current version of Relive violates several of the terms that we ask of API partners. These terms are in place to safeguard your personal information, to ensure a level playing field for all our partners, and to protect what makes Strava unique. We’ve worked hard with Relive to try to fix this, but they have ultimately chosen not to make the changes needed to honor their agreement. So as of today, Strava will no longer send your activities to Relive for playback.

Rest assured, nothing’s changed about how your information is stored or the control you have over how it’s accessed by API partners. And we remain deeply committed to helping our many API partners build experiences that make your workouts and races even better.

As always, thanks for being a part of the Strava community,

The Strava Team

• Registered Users Posts: 2,246 ✭✭✭Hungrycol

buffalo wrote: »
    Shamelessly stolen from YLYL:

XJn9XjC.jpg

Assuming left of the white line is a path then the notice is facing the wrong way given the bicycle symbol on the track. 🤓

• Registered Users Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭Eamonnator

Hungrycol wrote: »
    Assuming left of the white line is a path then the notice is facing the wrong way given the bicycle symbol on the track. 🤓

You're overthinking it

• Registered Users Posts: 3,444 ✭✭✭TheBlaaMan

ED E wrote: »
    Must have a look at the details of what they were doing.

Its like a couple, decoupling "it was him....no, it was her"
    Relive's take:

"Strava broke up with Relive ��

So, this sucks… Strava decided to no longer work with us. Read more about what happened on relive.cc/strava.

This is a big blow to our small team of 19. We’re working around the clock to keep bringing you Relive, and hope one day we can bring Strava back on board.

Fortunately, you can still keep using Relive. Record directly in our app, or connect one of our many other partners. Learn more.

To be clear; nothing has changed about how we used the Strava API, or how Relive uses and protects your data; it remains safe with us. We believe this is your data, and you should decide how it's used. After all, it’s your legs doing all the work!
    "

It seems to be the case that Relive used the data gathered thru the Strava API to launch their own social media system - I know that I got a 'friend request' thru Relive last weekend, which I though was very odd - and its perhaps no surprise that Strava objected. I like Relive - but not to the point where I want it to become yet another SM channel like this, so I'm out, I think.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Tried their app recently, was very push to monetize and doesnt allow deletion of a video without it so I'd already soured to them. Will probably close my account.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,285 ✭✭✭Mercian Pro

Always happy to create and share Relive videos for special rides. Hadn't really noticed any pressure to upgrade to a paid version unlike Strava who are constantly pushing it. Have now linked Garmin Connect to Relive and looking forward to seeing if it works as seamlessly as the Strava - Relive link.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,333 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

There's an alternative called ayvri too. Think it requires manual uploads though, a while since I tried it

• Registered Users Posts: 5,442 ✭✭✭LollipopJimmy

Always happy to create and share Relive videos for special rides. Hadn't really noticed any pressure to upgrade to a paid version unlike Strava who are constantly pushing it. Have now linked Garmin Connect to Relive and looking forward to seeing if it works as seamlessly as the Strava - Relive link.

And when you upgrade strava to the paid version they pressure you onto buying it and gifting it to somebody else

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,484 ✭✭✭Fighting Tao

I’ll be staying in the Ferrycarraig hotel in a few weeks and plan to take the bike to get out for a spin. Any nice spins from there 50-75k?

Advertisement