Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

La Flamme Rouge **off topic discussion**

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 985 ✭✭✭Miklos

Weepsie wrote: »
    I'd agree. I'd say lots in Wicklow are, Arklow might be the exception. It's not terrible or anything, but I always feel like it's really falling short of its potential. gorey isn't too far away and its bustling when I'm there. Arklow is just going through the motions

Arklow's a great spot now if you want vape refills or a tattoo.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,338 ✭✭✭Lusk_Doyle

Was stranded there for an entire afternoon.

Jesus, how ever did you survive an ENTIRE afternoon!

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 6,845 Mod ✭✭✭✭eeeee

Alek wrote: »
    Longford.

I'm from Longford (not the town) and I completely agree it's an absolute kip. It has lots of good ingredients, that are unfortunately baked into a pie of absolute shyte. Or, more accurately, just left in a bowl to congeal and rot by themselves. Beautiful country though.
    Weepsie wrote: »
    Funny that, as I would have said Granard after stopping there on a cross country cycle. Another forgotten place I think

Oh god Granard is where hope goes to die. Grim.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,751 ✭✭✭Large bottle small glass

Alek wrote: »
    Also: Milford, co. Donegal.

I was just passing, stopped to check the route and the look from a few chaps standing in front of the central bookies convinced me I'll be chased by a white van, hit, abducted and slaughtered in a short order. The avg speed getting out of there was pretty good.

Very unfair to judge a town on basis of a few bookie customers! They are going to look like an unhappy bunch of lads whether they are in Westport or Carrick.

Rumour has it they were appalled by your sock height and mismatch of components on your steed!

Carrick has a brilliant location, but he town seems to have its back to the rive and mountains.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,520 ✭✭✭Alek

Very unfair to judge a town on basis of a few bookie customers!

I was only joking, nothing against Milford, I did not even have a chance to look around ;)
    Rumour has it they were appalled by your sock height and mismatch of components on your steed!

Not surprising at all! :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,585 ✭✭✭Mickiemcfist

Out of sheer frustration at my 3 punctures in 2 weeks, I've invested in Schwalbe marathon plus for the rear wheel, hopefully they're as bomb-proof as online reviews would have me believe!

• Registered Users Posts: 16,731 ✭✭✭✭dahat

Off to Killarney for 2 days this weekend and bringing the bike as i've never been round there on a bike with an agreement to be gone early and not gone "all day"!!!!

The route below i took off a Strava profile and fits my time free 3-4 hrs very early morning. Is it a good route for a spin?

Killarney

Weather looks good for am Saturday so plan to depart @ 6am.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,976 ✭✭✭Plastik

It's ok - but Kenmare back to Killarney is a pain in the arse. Two very busy roads, and plenty of close passing between Kenmare and the N22.

When you come out of the Black Valley up to the Molls Gap road turn right (instead of left for Molls Gap) and then turn right again after about 10km to go over Ballaghbeama and loop around the Reeks through Glencar. Or don't take the climb out of the valley and continue straight. You'll eventually come out on the Sneem/Molls road again, turn right and right again.

A bit more elevation, but much more scenic, and infinitely less traffic.

Is the surface okay?

Plastik wrote: »
    It's ok - but Kenmare back to Killarney is a pain in the arse. Two very busy roads, and plenty of close passing between Kenmare and the N22.

When you come out of the Black Valley up to the Molls Gap road turn right (instead of left for Molls Gap) and then turn right again after about 10km to go over Ballaghbeama and loop around the Reeks through Glencar. Or don't take the climb out of the valley and continue straight. You'll eventually come out on the Sneem/Molls road again, turn right and right again.

A bit more elevation, but much more scenic, and infinitely less traffic.

Killarney 3+ hrs

Any better? Been crusing strava like a wierdo for routes. 3hrs is my threshold really as much a si'd like to be gone longer!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 174 ✭✭barleyman

Lots of nice 3 hour routes about

instead of turn for black valley keep going to Ballaghbeama, go over Ballaghbeama then turn left for molls.

Its about 80+km and a nice spin and keeps you off main roads.

i'm actually doing this route at 6am tomorrow if you want company.

PM if you want to meet
    dahat wrote: »
    Killarney 3+ hrs

Any better? Been crusing strava like a wierdo for routes. 3hrs is my threshold really as much a si'd like to be gone longer!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,976 ✭✭✭Plastik

dahat wrote: »
    Killarney 3+ hrs

I think your first route but going back over Ballaghbeama is better, personally. Out of the black valley you can either do the climb up to Molls, or continue on straight through the next valley and come out almost at the Ballaghbeama turn.

upfj8uil.jpg

hMi22t9l.jpg

https://ridewithgps.com/routes/30664655

I think Dunloe and Black Valley are essential cycling for someone that has never done them before, and at that time of the morning particular. Surface was very poor at the bottom for a short stretch the last time I did it.

For the one you mapped there the descent from the Sneem-Molls road to Blackwater is nothing to write home about. The main road on the ROK from Blackwater to Kenmare is traffic busy, fast moving, no hard shoulder and they tend to fairly whip by. The climb up Molls from Kenmare is only a drag, probably one of the most boring on either the Iveragh or Beara peninsulas and is rough as a badgers for a few KM out of Kenmare. I like the Molls descent to Killarney for the most part though.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,766 ✭✭✭✭tomasrojo

A two-act play in one image

486520.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,171 ✭✭✭Rechuchote

https://newyork.cbslocal.com/2019/07/26/cannondale-caadx-cyclocross-bicycles-recalled/

NEW YORK (CBSNewYork) — Thousands of Cannondale bicycles are being recalled after one person was killed and several others were seriously injured.

The Consumer Product Safety Commission says the company is recalling about 9,700 model 2013 through 2016 Cannondale CAADX cyclocross bicycles equipped with disc brakes.

Thousands of Cannondale bicycles are being recalled after one person was killed and several others were seriously injured. (Credit: Cannondale)

According to the CPSC, the fork can break, posing a fall hazard. There have been 11 reports of the fork breaking. Five of those incidents happened in the United States.

One person died, and seven people have reportedly been seriously injured. Some victims suffered concussions and one suffered a spinal injury.

The recalled bicycles were sold at authorized Cannondale dealers nationwide from August 2012 through August 2017.

Anyone who bought a recalled bicycle or wants to determine if their bicycle is affected by the recall should visit a local Cannondale dealer. Anyone with questions can call 844-370-1536 or email support@cyclingsportsgroup.com.

For more information, visit cannondale.com/en/USA/Safety-Notices-and-Recalls.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,246 ✭✭✭CantGetNoSleep

Quick q - I'm going out for a group ride tomorrow where it is expected to be 17/18 degrees and showery where I am (only a light wind though). I'm a bit of a fair weather rider tbh so I don't ride much on wet days.

I have the option of a SS Gabba (with or without arm warmers but I'm leaning towards without) and a very thin mesh baselayer, or a baselayer, summer jersey and a rain jacket. It is a bit humid here so I worry I'd sweat too much in any sort of rain jacket, but on the other hand would I be too warm in a Gabba at 18 degrees?

• Registered Users Posts: 454 ✭✭MediaMan

would I be too warm in a Gabba at 18 degrees?

Well everyone is different, but unless you're a very cold person you will melt in a Gabba at that temperature. You'd end up wetter from sweat than from the rain. Bring a rain jacket and only put it on if the rain looks serious.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,484 ✭✭✭Fighting Tao

If anyone left a front wheel behind them at the Ring of Clare I handed it into the organisers. It was on the grass car park. I can’t remember the make.

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 76,136 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

Evidence, if it was ever needed, that certain top cyclists still resort to mechanical doping:

486575.jpg

Porsche Super Cup at Silverstone a couple of weeks ago

Took me a second :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,171 ✭✭✭Rechuchote

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,426 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

whoever the marketing bods are at eddy merckx bikes, they need a talking to.

https://www.mycorsa.com/

whoever the marketing bods are at eddy merckx bikes, they need a talking to.

https://www.mycorsa.com/

Jesus that's horrific

Just to follow up on the trip to Kilarney last weekend, thanks to all that offered help etc.

This was the route which was out together by a well known memebr of the forum, mix of main & proper back roads, some savage climbs too. It bucketed down at Lough Cruagh so no pics from there as i rolled through. I met a few awith one guy in full Aqua Blue kit being the most noticeable.

Rosscossane Hill & Ballaghbeama (N-S) being two nice tough climbs that made me happy i put the 11/28 block on!

Killarney Spin

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,667 Mod ✭✭✭✭RobFowl

nee wrote: »
    Jesus that's horrific

I like it......

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,426 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

this is the entry level steel bike; a nice enough looking bike, but could they not have paid a tiny bit more for a silver cassette?

https://www.mycorsa.com/criterium#/

RobFowl wrote: »
    I like it......

We can no longer be friends :p

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,799 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

I find the advert and website far more offensive than the bike.

CramCycle wrote: »
    I find the advert and website far more offensive than the bike.

It's the advert and website I'm averse to - particularly the middle aged, middle/upper class white male image they're going for.
    i can't think of a more regressive way to go with your advertising, and makes me never, ever want a Merckx bike, a brand that, going on that page is wholeheartedly disinterested in women and indeed any diversity of any form, and instead doubles down on old fashioned, particarchical values and aspirations.
    It's so wilfully out of touch and exclusive.
    Yuck.
    I am also not a big Merckx fan either in the first place, but then again there are almost no past or present pro cyclists I admire so meh.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,585 ✭✭✭Mickiemcfist

nee wrote: »
    It's the advert and website I'm averse to - particularly the middle aged, middle/upper class white male image they're going for.
    i can't think of a more regressive way to go with your advertising, and makes me never, ever want a Merckx bike, a brand that, going on that page is wholeheartedly disinterested in women and indeed any diversity of any form, and instead doubles down on old fashioned, particarchical values and aspirations.
    It's so wilfully out of touch and exclusive.
    Yuck.
    I am also not a big Merckx fan either in the first place, but then again there are almost no past or present pro cyclists I admire so meh.

Jesus I don't read into things much. I saw the measuring tape across the guys shoulders & just thought "Ah, tailored bikes".

• Advertisement

Jesus I don't read into things much. I saw the measuring tape across the guys shoulders & just thought "Ah, tailored bikes".

You don't have to because you see something of yourself in the image (white, Male, age etc.. maybe). That's the thing. If you're not one or all of those things there is no space for you in that message.

Advertisement