Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

La Flamme Rouge **off topic discussion**

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,667 Mod ✭✭✭✭RobFowl

Is it on the way yet Lenny?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,458 ✭✭✭lennymc

RobFowl wrote: »
    Is it on the way yet Lenny?

I'm sure it's not even built yet Rob! Bang goes that new CX bike....
    I think i'm regressing, sitting here listening to Tiffany and reminiscing about the 80s..... God help me.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,799 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

I put up a question in the taxation forum which has not gotten a response, maybe someone here knows. Sent in forms via myenquiries via Revenue Online. They claim 20 days for a response, and 25 days during peak periods. It is over 25 working days now, does anyone know what their actual response times are? I did ring, and they said it has been assigned to someone, but I didn't feel like being a d1ck and pushing it, but it is something I need sorted. Anyone got a realistic time for a response?

• Registered Users Posts: 18,189 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

Am I going mad? , normally leave 2 locks at work (outdoor bike stand)and keep a smaller one with me just in case, come in this morning , one of the locks is gone, small chance I may have brought it home but cant think why, second lock is there but it wouldn’t open for me? Is there any scam where thieves put something in your lock so you may be dumb enough to leave the bike unlocked next day? My reserve lock is all that is on it , but “they” will be disappointed when they see the bike lol.

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

silverharp wrote: »
    Am I going mad? , normally leave 2 locks at work (outdoor bike stand)and keep a smaller one with me just in case, come in this morning , one of the locks is gone, small chance I may have brought it home but cant think why, second lock is there but it wouldn’t open for me? Is there any scam where thieves put something in your lock so you may be dumb enough to leave the bike unlocked next day? My reserve lock is all that is on it , but “they” will be disappointed when they see the bike lol.

I had heard of thieves either filling the lock while the bike is attached and coming back overnight, or even double locking the bike with their bike and another lock, so it looks accidental and again, coming back later, no idea if it is true or not. Never heard of pre breaking the lock.

• Advertisement

CramCycle wrote: »
    I had heard of thieves either filling the lock while the bike is attached and coming back overnight, or even double locking the bike with their bike and another lock, so it looks accidental and again, coming back later, no idea if it is true or not. Never heard of pre breaking the lock.

Correction, the other one was pre cutting the lock, steel U locks or chain locks so that they are strong enough that you could attach them without realising they were 90% cut through, so they could get through it quicker later.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,766 ✭✭✭✭tomasrojo

Correction, the other one was pre cutting the lock, steel U locks or chain locks so that they are strong enough that you could attach them without realising they were 90% cut through, so they could get through it quicker later.

I read somewhere that that's part of why the woven nylon sleeves often cover the entire chain now in chain locks. It makes it more obvious that the lock has been tampered with and weakened for chains that are left in place, because the sleeve has to be detached and rolled back, or else cut through.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,381 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

I had heard of thieves either filling the lock while the bike is attached and coming back overnight
    Yes, or smashing in a wheel in the hope somebody will leave it there. Might even let the air out of both tyres to give the appearance of punctures.
    The stands can be precut too, easier to cut through than a decent lock. I work with stainless tube and many are surprised when they see how quick you can get through it with a hacksaw. I have tried cutting bog standard "grey" kryptonite and was at it ages and barely made a mark, my key broke and had to get it off with a grinder in the end.

Some stands are terrible, there is one outside an aldi and I reckon they just need a spanner to undo a nut and would be able to bend the stand up, so if people just put a ulock on the cross bar, as many do, they could just cycle off on it.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,426 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

i cycled up to ikea yesterday; now maybe there are better bike stands up there than the one i found, but i stopped looking when i found it. it was shocking how poor the stand was; there was a quasi sheffield stand with room for locking maybe two bikes through the frame, but the rest of it simply allowed for locking through a wheel. i don't think any part of it went high enough to lock through the rear triangle.
    that said, ikea don't want people cycling there, so that makes sense.

i cycled up to ikea yesterday; now maybe there are better bike stands up there than the one i found, but i stopped looking when i found it. it was shocking how poor the stand was; there was a quasi sheffield stand with room for locking maybe two bikes through the frame, but the rest of it simply allowed for locking through a wheel. i don't think any part of it went high enough to lock through the rear triangle.

I have cycled to IKEA and collected items from there. Obviously there is a limit but you can get more than you would think. Also a great stop off on a morning cycle for breakfast and coffee if required.

• Advertisement
  • Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 76,136 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

I put up a question in the taxation forum which has not gotten a response, maybe someone here knows. Sent in forms via myenquiries via Revenue Online. They claim 20 days for a response, and 25 days during peak periods. It is over 25 working days now, does anyone know what their actual response times are? I did ring, and they said it has been assigned to someone, but I didn't feel like being a d1ck and pushing it, but it is something I need sorted. Anyone got a realistic time for a response?

I will comment based on my wider experience of tax authorities across the World

You may think these targets are limits, rather than aims, but I would maybe compare with speed limits and how they are dealt with by motorists....

Add to that the time of year, when things simply pile up when people are on their hols. You might get something by Christmas, but I'm not saying which one:pac:

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,426 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

speaking of which, they've reopened the cafe in the rediscovery centre in ballymun; i got a nice toastie and coffee there for 7 quid the other day.

the comment re ikea not wanting people to cycle there was more in relation to the fact that they (generally) deliberately build in places that walking or public transport is not ideal as a means of getting there.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,333 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

Ikea now has 2 bus routes that terminate at it at least. On the tax issue.

I find Revenue to be one of the most efficicient departments we have and things tend to get sorted sooner rather than later.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,246 ✭✭✭Hungrycol

I asked a question and waited about 6 weeks and didn't get a reply. Then did a new MyEnquiry a copy and paste of the original which was answered in a couple of days, the next day my original one was answered, different person. Go figure :confused:

The wasps seem to be out in force today. Was plagued by the bastards when I was out earlier.

There is a small cycling park with Sheffield-style stands, with a capacity of about twelve bikes. It's accessible via a side gate a good bit off to the left from the main entrance.

I haven't been there in a while, but Señora Roja sent me to get rugs and mirrors on Monday:
    488232.jpg

That's the longest thing I've ever carried with that trailer. I was stuffing everything I had with me into the front of the trailer to counteract the weight at the back. Worked too, luckily.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,381 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

tomasrojo wrote: »
    There is a small cycling park with Sheffield-style stands, with a capacity of about twelve bikes.
    The square posts in your pic is what I would be locking my bike to. You could not cut them with a hacksaw easily. The mini grinders they nick from aldi/lidl would not have a disc of wide enough diameter unless they went outside of the premises to get the other side -might be able to pass it through the bars and do it but with any luck they would lose a finger.

When you see bike stands with shelters the posts supporting the shelter are usually a hell of a lot stronger than the metal tube you are intended to use. If you know your steel you can give it a light tap and gauge the wall thickness from the sound.

Really annoys me as many use very thin wall wide diameter tubing to give the illusion of it being hard to get through, and solid. But a narrower tube of the same weight per metre is harder (for me anyway) to get through with a hacksaw, and more accommodating to small u locks.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,271 ✭✭✭koutoubia

Send them a message telling them you think you owe them a sh1t load of money. They will put you to the top of the Q then.

Yeah, I'm not sure how good the Sheffield-style racks at Ikea are. I haven't had any trouble there. I guess I've locked there only about five times though.

I lock the rear wheel Sheldon Brown-style with a Fahgettaboudit mini u-lock and the top tube with with a Kryptonite Series 2 955 chain lock. I think there's a lot of sawing involved in stealing a bike you'd probably be lucky to get €100 for. Though it's invaluable to me.

rubadub wrote: »
    Some stands are terrible, there is one outside an aldi and I reckon they just need a spanner to undo a nut and would be able to bend the stand up, so if people just put a ulock on the cross bar, as many do, they could just cycle off on it.

Not sure if you're thinking of the Aldi I'm thinking of, but a guy was warning other cyclists about this very problem with the rack design one day I was there. I have to say, with my locks, you'd have trouble getting the top bar of the rack through the Fahgettaboudit. And then you still couldn't cycle it, as mentioned above.

But it is a strangely bad design.

• Advertisement

Weepsie wrote: »
    Ikea now has 2 bus routes that terminate at it at least.

Just remembered this:
    https://twitter.com/mattressmick/status/1158260604173508608

• Registered Users Posts: 3,477 ✭✭✭rollingscone

Is happy-slapping cyclists a thing?

Was chugging home on my monstercross along Clanbrassil street yesterday evening at about 18:40 when a burly youth started out from behind a bus stop as if he was sneaking
    with his arm extended down his side, palm flat and fingers at a knifepoint.

Then he saw it was me, a hideous ogre buzzing towards him and doubled back apologising/excusing himself to parties unseen.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 11,391 Mod ✭✭✭✭Captain Havoc

Captain's alive. Really busy with the auld hacking there at the moment.

https://ormondelanguagetours.com

Walking Tours of Kilkenny in English, French or German.

Captain's alive. Really busy with the auld hacking there at the moment.
    have you tried benilyn? good for that sort of cough.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,484 ✭✭✭manafana

Is happy-slapping cyclists a thing?

Was chugging home on my monstercross along Clanbrassil street yesterday evening at about 18:40 when a burly youth started out from behind a bus stop as if he was sneaking
    with his arm extended down his side, palm flat and fingers at a knifepoint.

Then he saw it was me, a hideous ogre buzzing towards him and doubled back apologising/excusing himself to parties unseen.

im confused did you think he was going mug you?

manafana wrote: »

I presume just knock you off and then leg it

• Registered Users Posts: 3,477 ✭✭✭rollingscone

manafana wrote: »

Happy slapping was a phenomena in the early 2000s. It basically consisted of running up to a random stranger, smacking them in the face and running off laughing about it

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 2,142 ✭✭✭wanderer 22

lennymc wrote: »
    to buy or not to buy - that is the question

https://www.raleigh.co.uk/stbur19-super-tuff-burner

Saw this and thought of you Lenny :D
    https://www.adverts.ie/bmx/raleigh-burner/18599684

Ben Healy took stage 5 of the Tour de l'Avenir yesterday!!! What a result for the lad.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 890 ✭✭✭brocbrocach

Healy's victory must be all the sweeter as he took his win in UCI colours rather than green. Darragh O'Mahoney also had to rely on an invite from Aigle's composite team to get his chance this year.
    A real shame the national federation didn't get a team into Avenir, especially after the strong teams of the last few years.

Advertisement