Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

La Flamme Rouge **off topic discussion**

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,427 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

probably my finest ever cycling achievement, that.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,442 ✭✭✭LollipopJimmy

What was it?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,427 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

22min in. some context, the previous week's show had focussed a good bit on the disqualification in the U23 men's worlds for drafting.

Ha congrats on your lovely new bottle :D

Eurosport apps got a facelift today. Looks great on the website and game console apps but the same design layout just doesn't work so well on a phone in portrait.

Have internet issues at the minute so not sure if they've ironed out the casting stutter and freezing.

Some great racing on over the last week or so.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,484 ✭✭✭manafana

fav things about eurosport app is the playback across EU if im away, althou the live stuff doesnt let you go back anymore so have watch live. App worth it alone for cycling that ends up off 1 or 2 and biathlon

also if you have virgin, the app also has most stuff that was on eurosport in past for play back,

Ha congrats on your lovely new bottle :D
    obviously a small enough operation, you'd expect it would be an office underling who would be given the job of arranging that, but it was dan lloyd i ended up swapping emails with to get it sorted.

• Registered Users Posts: 156 ✭✭bingobars

Popping in for a random rant. Check our this beauty of a bike lane near mine. Absolute dinger

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 6,845 Mod ✭✭✭✭eeeee

bingobars wrote: »
    Popping in for a random rant. Check our this beauty of a bike lane near mine. Absolute dinger

Jaysus. Even without the street light in the middle that's completely un-useable!

• Registered Users Posts: 32,381 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

bingobars wrote: »

needs to be some vigilate type with a stencil spray painting "why are they not cycling on this perfectly good cycle lane?"

I loved this story about potholes

This man is painting penises on potholes so the council has to take action

• Advertisement

eeeee wrote: »
    Jaysus. Even without the street light in the middle that's completely un-useable!

It's fine, ride over it and have a pal ready on the other end with a phone to call for a solicitor and a neck brace :pac:

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 11,391 Mod ✭✭✭✭Captain Havoc

I have a proform TdF 1 indoor bike. I was going grand on it until I started going over an hour. The saddle is huge, it's like a padded bench and I doubt there is an arse in this world wide enough for it. My plan is to buy a steel seat post and weld it onto the existing adjustable piece. I can't find a steel seat post with clamp, does anyone know where I would find one?

https://ormondelanguagetours.com

Walking Tours of Kilkenny in English, French or German.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,458 ✭✭✭lennymc

22min in. some context, the previous week's show had focussed a good bit on the disqualification in the U23 men's worlds for drafting.

twas a good caption in fairness. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 173 ✭✭CormacH94

Anyone have been over to the Amstel Gold race? What's the story with getting a good spot to see the start/finish? Seen online they sell VIP packages but I'm not arsed with that, is it fairly easy to watch the race or do they barrier sections of the start/finish off to stop over crowding?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,073 ✭✭✭buffalo

Article in my local paper featuring a councillor calling for a third lane on the local motorway because it will allow for "a wider traffic jam". Actual quote.

There is no facepalm big enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,373 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

thanks shimano:D

492783.jpg

shimano cowbells

buffalo wrote: »
    Article in my local paper featuring a councillor calling for a third lane on the local motorway because "it will allow for a wider traffic jam". Actual quote.

There is no facepalm big enough.
    ah here, you have to scan and share that.

ah here, you have to scan and share that.

I'll snap it later, but here's the fully quote - I misremembered slightly, from Cllr Tim Durkan (FG):

"When you have three lanes instead of two you have a wider traffic jam and there is more off-ramps so traffic can move quicker and there's also an environmental benefit because you have less time in which cars are stuck in traffic."

• Registered Users Posts: 1,098 ✭✭✭NamelessPhil

I'll snap it later, but here's the fully quote - I misremembered slightly, from Cllr Tim Durkan (FG):

"When you have three lanes instead of two you have a wider traffic jam and there is more off-ramps so traffic can move quicker and there's also an environmental benefit because you have less time in which cars are stuck in traffic."

Right...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,240 ✭✭✭Boscoirl

Going by my limited use of the new extra lane on the M7 it’ll only be used for traffic jams as I was the only car in the left lane

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 11,391 Mod ✭✭✭✭Captain Havoc

Boscoirl wrote: »
    Going by my limited use of the new extra lane on the M7 it’ll only be used for traffic jams as I was the only car in the left lane

This is as normal as not indicating on roundabouts.

https://ormondelanguagetours.com

Walking Tours of Kilkenny in English, French or German.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,987 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

I presume he means something like this:

Suppose we have 5km of traffic at a standstill on two lanes at peak times. Lets say there is a very popular exit 1km into the traffic jam, Drivers who intend to take that exit are not moving but if the motorway was widened to 3 lanes, the traffic jam would be wider and shorter allowing that exit to take traffic.

....or I'm I being illogical?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,766 ✭✭✭✭tomasrojo

Suppose we have 5km of traffic at a standstill on two lanes at peak times. Lets say there is a very popular exit 1km into the traffic jam, Drivers who intend to take that exit are not moving but if the motorway was widened to 3 lanes, the traffic jam would be wider and shorter allowing that exit to take traffic.

Sounds plausible. The original quote sounds amusingly weird though.

That only holds true if you discount the effects of induced demand - that is, when you add road capacity, the capacity will be filled with people making extra/adjusted journeys because it's more convenient than before. So your traffic jam will be wider, and about the same length.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,484 ✭✭✭manafana

Boscoirl wrote: »

100% biggest waste of money, just moved bottle neck a little up road,

• Registered Users Posts: 11,766 ✭✭✭✭tomasrojo

I'm torn between admiration and disapproval (the entire article is in the thread):
    https://twitter.com/TinaJordanNYT/status/1183082845356613633

I got passed by a group wearing Orwell kit this morning when I was out running. Hardy lads, its horrid out there

*disclaimer: The run was neither followed or preceded by a cycle and I'm only running cos fight training.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

I got passed by a group wearing Orwell kit this morning when I was out running. Hardy lads, its horrid out there

*disclaimer: The run was neither followed or preceded by a cycle and I'm only running cos fight training.

If it was after 9 then they were en route to Gerry Brannigan to marshal+ride it.

ED E wrote: »
    If it was after 9 then they were en route to Gerry Brannigan to marshal+ride it.

Suir Bridge around 9ish

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,799 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

It was epic out there, I really struggled to be honest, the sound of the rain made it really hard to get back to sleep after I woke up first :pac:

Advertisement