Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

La Flamme Rouge **off topic discussion**

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 6,845 Mod ✭✭✭✭eeeee

Any trackies watching the champs? Just me or are there a lot of out of the saddle efforts? Convinced I’m seeing more of it. French rider in points race and there was plenty in a women’s race yesterday too?

Don't have eurosport to see. :(
    Are they predominantly roadies doing it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,450 ✭✭✭Harrybelafonte

eeeee wrote: »

That’s exactly what I was wondering too

Won't be many road riders in future with the changes to the season. Could take some very good riders out of the equation.

5 or 6 quid will get you eurosport player for the month eeeee which you can cancel immediately to stop it recurring or the yearly sub for about 40.

What about Murphy yesterday? 4th but still shaved the national record by 5 seconds I think it was in the end.

EDIT: I've likely commented about it before here but the Team Ireland kit is one of if not the best out there both on the track and road. Really looks the business.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,438 ✭✭✭Ryath

You can sign up on the Polish Eurosport site for just over €20 a year. Works fine here no VPN needed.

http://promo-pl.eurosportplayer.com/promo/all-sports/ogladaj-eurosport-na-zywo

They had it at half that price last Black Friday!

Ryath wrote: »
    You can sign up on the Polish Eurosport site for just over €20 a year. Works fine here no VPN needed.

I know where my next "holiday" is going to be come renewal time :)

• Advertisement

Ryath wrote: »

I think they've closed that loophole for me anyway :mad:

I shall keep looking :D

On the topic of Eurosport, I wonder why they never show Gree-Tour of Guangxi :confused: Not even delayed highlights. They show every other world tour race.

Anyway Quigley is commentating the highlights of that on the Velon youtube channel for those interested.

• Registered Users Posts: 282 ✭✭Acquiescence

My OH has started coming out for a spin with me if I go for a short one on a Sunday.

She's cycled at most 10 times in her adult life and didn't really learn as a kid.

I'm no cyclist but I've done like 1000km a month for the last 3-6 months so I'm not unfit per se.

I was legitimately in trouble trying to hold onto her wheel yesterday. Finally caught her at the top of a hill that she'd averaged a good 30kph+ going up, I'm dying and ask what she'd rate her perceived exertion at.... 5

I give up.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,440 ✭✭✭cdaly_

My OH has started coming out for a spin with me if I go for a short one on a Sunday.

She's cycled at most 10 times in her adult life and didn't really learn as a kid.

I'm no cyclist but I've done like 1000km a month for the last 3-6 months so I'm not unfit per se.

I was legitimately in trouble trying to hold onto her wheel yesterday. Finally caught her at the top of a hill that she'd averaged a good 30kph+ going up, I'm dying and ask what she'd rate her perceived exertion at.... 5

I give up.

Don't give up... keep up!

If you can...

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,427 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

1000km a month is a hell of a good rate to set, probably more than most people on the forum here. i'm happy if i get 200km a week.

• Advertisement

I give up.

Now is a good time to start training if she wants to race next year ;) - join a club and see how ye get on over winter!

Now is a good time to start training if she wants to race next year ;) - join a club and see how ye get on over winter!

She has literally no bike handling skills!

I'm still trying to teach her how to actually get on a bike without heading for a ditch.

She got somewhere in the region of 1400-1500 out of a 6 second watt bike test a few years back. She's a bit of a monster to be fair to her. It makes me a bit sad.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,440 ✭✭✭cdaly_

I'm still trying to teach her how to actually get on a bike without heading for a ditch.

She got somewhere in the region of 1400-1500 out of a 6 second watt bike test a few years back. She's a bit of a monster to be fair to her. It makes me a bit sad.

Proud I would have thought...

• Registered Users Posts: 6,458 ✭✭✭lennymc

Any trackies watching the champs? Just me or are there a lot of out of the saddle efforts? Convinced I’m seeing more of it. French rider in points race and there was plenty in a women’s race yesterday too?

yeah - i noticed that too.

on a side note, my 5 yr old daughter now wants to take up track cycling after watching some of the Irish women during the week. I'll bring her out to some of the track racing next season to see if she still like it.

cdaly_ wrote: »
    Proud I would have thought...

Sad when reflecting on own ineptitude!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,450 ✭✭✭Harrybelafonte

lennymc wrote: »

on a side note, my 5 yr old daughter now wants to take up track cycling after watching some of the Irish women during the week. I'll bring her out to some of the track racing next season to see if she still like it.

Cool. Give me a shout. I coach senior and kids sessions now.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,799 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

Sad when reflecting on own ineptitude!

Your not inept if she happens to be really good, so decide now to encourage her and then flip a coin of her being really good (you were beaten by one of the best) or she is awful (you are worse than awful). The other option is to discourage her and presume she could have been a contender.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,427 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

Get her out with a club, seriously, it'll bring on her handling skills loads. A lot of clubs have beginner groups that leach a lot. Tell her to go out and mess around on the bike, try to learn how to trackstand etc. just to spend time on the bike and get used to how it moves and balances. Work some really slow speed balanceing stuff into your pedals.
    Credit me when she wins her first world cup :D
    lennymc wrote: »

Aw yeahie mini Len! I bet she's as smooth and steady as her dad!

Get her out with a club, seriously, it'll bring on her handling skills loads. A lot of clubs have beginner groups that leach a lot. Tell her to go out and mess around on the bike, try to learn how to trackstand etc. just to spend time on the bike and get used to how it moves and balances. Work some really slow speed balanceing stuff into your pedals.
    Credit me when she wins her first world cup :D

Her response on hearing this was to ask if she can win money... I'll keep fighting the good fight anyway and try get her out more than once a week!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,484 ✭✭✭manafana

we all started somewhere, i'd reckon none of us handle a bike anywhere near as good as we do now, she sounds like an ideal candidate for the track, wattage boozaka

Her response on hearing this was to ask if she can win money... I'll keep fighting the good fight anyway and try get her out more than once a week!

Yes she can! Less than the men, sometimes a lot less, but she can!

Four Week Bicycle Maintenance Workshop
    This is a four week evening course for the beginner bike mechanic covering all of the most common repairs and maintenance areas in detail:

- Tyres: Identifying the size and type of tyre for your bike, correct tyre pressure, and how to remove and replace the tyre and tube on either wheel.
    - Brakes: Fully stripping and rebuilding a cable-operated brake, including the brake pads and cable, from scratch and adjusting it to optimal performance.
    - Chains: Breaking and reconnecting a chain as well as cleaning, lubricating, and identifying a worn chain and what type of chain is need for replacement.
    - How to tune Gears: both front and rear gears, learning the function of each adjusting bolt and troubleshooting shifting issues.
    - Other small adjustments and checks: tightening bearings in the wheels, bottom bracket, and headset; Adjusting saddle and handlebar positions; learning a full comprehensive method for checking the bike in full.

http://www.rediscoverycentre.ie/events/four-week-bicycle-maintenance-workshop/

Aw yeahie mini Len! I bet she's as smooth and steady as her dad!

She drops me on hills......

1500 watts, i'd say yeah.... :)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,442 ✭✭✭LollipopJimmy

That looks pretty cool. I'd do that only I've a fight right in the middle of it

it'd be very basic, beginners level maintenance though.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,335 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

I'm hopeless at maintenance, I've stripped down a few, and put 2 back together but so hopelessly that I gave up and brought them to lbs.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,901 ✭✭✭De Bhál

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,335 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

Also at rediscovery centre (one for those with kids)

Making decorations out of old bike parts!

http://www.rediscoverycentre.ie/events/upcycled-christmas-bike-decorations-workshop/

Advertisement