Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

La Flamme Rouge **off topic discussion**

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,484 ✭✭✭manafana

I noticed the three local retirees that I see walking regularly have only recently become builders started wearing hi-vis. How they made it into their 70s without it baffles me.

yeah frustrating isn't it, do 100 other things you can easily do but yeah im wearing a yellow jacket so its ok. Usable clothing with panels, rather than a building site jacket if your that worried.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,236 ✭✭✭Idleater

Vel wrote: »
    Anyone else seeing a huge increase in pedestrians in hi-vis? And plenty of cyclists without lights but with hi-vis. Argh! Well done RSA.....

Actually I was "almost" run into by a car exiting a business at a fair speed (the entranceway has a dished footpath so I had right of way).

He winds down the window and mouths off about how I should have hiviz.

My retort was would it have protected me from his speeding, however I thought later I should have asked how he got to his car.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,430 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

i wonder if the folks in Cycling Ireland are currently scratching their heads going 'all we needed was €15m for an indoor velodrome, and no-one told us we just needed white water to get the authorities behind the idea'.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,987 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

I noticed the three local retirees that I see walking regularly have only recently become builders started wearing hi-vis. How they made it into their 70s without it baffles me.
    I see that our soldiers are now required to wear hi viz vests over their camouflage fatigues. :rolleyes:

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,430 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

to be fair, it probably makes them invisible.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,176 ✭✭✭RobertFoster

It's to scare the enemy into thinking there's hi-vis ghosts floating about.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,366 ✭✭✭McGrath5

Anybody registering for the Wicklow 200? Noticed it opened today, 65e if one registers before December 20th. Seems a little expensive for what it is, but I would like to set myself the goal of doing it next year.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,442 ✭✭✭LollipopJimmy

McGrath5 wrote: »
    Anybody registering for the Wicklow 200? Noticed it opened today, 65e if one registers before December 20th. Seems a little expensive for what it is, but I would like to set myself the goal of doing it next year.

It's two week before I'm due to fight again, it's always **** timing for me. At that stage of camp it'll be trying to not get injured and winding the training down a touch.

I must just get a few of the lads together and do the route

• Registered Users Posts: 536 ✭✭✭lissard

Plus €5 for insurance and €4.50 booking fee. They are taking the piss this year.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,734 ✭✭✭✭dahat

Previous early bird prices have been €55, as with most sportives price has gone up. A great event but once is enough at that price.

A few dishonest lads I know just roll up on the day and pass through the start finsh part and use garages etc for food. Not for me though.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,450 ✭✭✭Harrybelafonte

This is not really cycling related, but I think videos of 60s Dublin have struck a chord with a few here, so this is a YT channel with nothing but home movies of the time:

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC5ZPoP7BBTORI-QYcTkFv3Q

For those not in the know, there's a meme on Twitter which basically is 'name something you can say during (insert activity here) and also during sex'.

https://twitter.com/IBIKEDublin/status/1202423166859124738

Some festive strava hi-jinks

http://www.stickybottle.com/latest-news/cyclist-creates-brilliant-festive-reindeer-on-strava-during-9hr-ride/

There is a link to another one in the piece from Dublin a few years ago.

RD-1-e1575977353777-600x488.png

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,602 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

The RSA recently had a back slapping night out in Croker.
    Seems like their target audience only uses one form of transport...

https://twitter.com/RSAIreland/status/1204490970944983041

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,335 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

Croke park 's car park actually has prety nifty bike stands too. Not many of them, but they can be put in and hoisted or something.

Weepsie wrote: »
    Croke park 's car park actually has prety nifty bike stands too. Not many of them, but they can be put in and hoisted or something.
    Yes but you won't drive your bike to it!

Yes but you won't drive your bike to it!

You won't. The Car park also has the harshest speed bump I've ever come across, so you nearly need to bunny hop it or go really really slow if you do go in by bike

not cycling related but still nice to see the kids reaction...
    https://twitter.com/OConnorOisin/status/1204906217732227073

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 6,845 Mod ✭✭✭✭eeeee

I am also loving the bunch skills in those cyclists. There's nothing like cycling in the Netherlands.

• Advertisement

More kids in that video cycling than I've seen all year here cycling to school.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,766 ✭✭✭✭tomasrojo

Speaking of kids cycling,this is quite a nice photo:
    https://twitter.com/YourWullie/status/1205942141899493382

Can't see who this was in the Irish kit. Lydia maybe?

Watch the lady at the top near the back , she damn near holds on to it !!!!!!

https://twitter.com/Eurosport_UK/status/1206255408328908800

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 6,845 Mod ✭✭✭✭eeeee

Jesus I gasped out loud at that.
    It's Shannon, which is really, really shyte as she had a bad concussion from a race crash not too long ago. And she did absolutely nothing wrong there, and she's a savage bike handler. She's been on track since she was wee.
    Shyte luck.
    I hope she's ok

*goes off to Instagram to check

ETA She's ok. Nothing broken, track rash, banged up so not finishing the omnium but she's ok. Phew!

I really wish Eurosport wouldn't put crashes like that out as news from the Track World cup, it's a hideous 'viewpoint'.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,987 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

eeeee wrote: »
    ...I really wish Eurosport wouldn't put crashes like that out as news from the Track World cup, it's a hideous 'viewpoint'.
    It's just human nature to want to gawk at 'incidents'. I have zero interest in anything equestrian but will probably watch a clip of a jockey becoming unseated or a show jumper falling into a fence. To me it would be the most 'newsworthy' part.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,073 ✭✭✭buffalo

In fairness the car wasn't wearing hi-viz

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,269 Mod ✭✭✭✭Chips Lovell

“Sorry mate, I didn’t see you”

that happened my aunt and uncle on the M50. dutch artic pulled into their lane - while they were still in it, spun the car 90 degrees sideways and drove them down the M50; not sure how long it took for the driver to cop but i tell you they needed a stiff whiskey when they got home.

• Advertisement

Advertisement