Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

La Flamme Rouge **off topic discussion**

Options

Comments

eeeee wrote: »
    Oh no Why?

Much slower to charge off the front on the typical office PC. More juice in the back ports.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,771 ✭✭✭✭keane2097

Looking at a Trek Madone 2019 at the moment. I'm 5'7 and the Trek site's sizing guide reckons I want a 54cm, which I think sounds a bit big for me.

Anyone around my size have experience with a recent H2 Trek in that size? Trying to figure out where I can go to try out the sizing.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,766 ✭✭✭✭tomasrojo

Dutch Bike Shop in Goatstown won't be renewing its lease. Will still retail online:
    https://twitter.com/DutchBikeDublin/status/1212326566816047105

So, as it says, there'll be a sale of stock soon.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 6,845 Mod ✭✭✭✭eeeee

Anyone unable to reject non functional cookies on chainreaction? No more chainreaction for me :mad: between that and using fastaway for delivery wiggle and chainreaction are off the table now boo!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,442 ✭✭✭LollipopJimmy

Today for the first time ever insaw a car get pulled over for skipping through the bus gate on bachelors walk, and in spend a lot of time sitting in the donut shop there..

• Advertisement

eeeee wrote: »
    Anyone unable to reject non functional cookies on chainreaction? No more chainreaction for me :mad: between that and using fastaway for delivery wiggle and chainreaction are off the table now boo!

I work in the IT industry I block the **** out of a lot of stuff online and realise the futility of it at times, only 2 trackers on me as I type this but to worry about chainreaction ?????? They don't need your IP address they have your home address !!!! Even if you Onion up and vpn (some of them track and sell your data too) along with it you buy something unless it's with bitcoin etc. and even then they have you in a lot of cases if the will is there.

My attitude is I don't want to make it easy but resigned to the fact I have a foot print online companies make money off.

I work in the IT industry I block the **** out of a lot of stuff online and realise the futility of it at times, only 2 trackers on me as I type this but to worry about chainreaction ?????? They don't need your IP address they have your home address !!!! Even if you Onion up and vpn (some of them track and sell your data too) along with it you buy something unless it's with bitcoin etc. and even then they have you in a lot of cases if the will is there.

My attitude is I don't want to make it easy but resigned to the fact I have a foot print online companies make money off.

I've gone beyond caring, I've said it here before if online advertisers want to direct ****e at me that I'll ignore anyway then fire away. Also I dont use adblockers cos sites like this very site rely on ad revenue (well in the olden days of boards anyway)

I've gone beyond caring, I've said it here before if online advertisers want to direct ****e at me that I'll ignore anyway then fire away. Also I dont use adblockers cos sites like this very site rely on ad revenue (well in the olden days of boards anyway)

I allow some for that reason but cyclingnews breaks when you block the ads which are the worst kind that are intrusive. Then look at how facebook with ad blocks and crap filters on it's 2/3's white space and has been for years now

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 6,845 Mod ✭✭✭✭eeeee

Yep I tor and vpn, and if a website won't let me use it without allowing non essential cookies (and I begrudge the flip out of them!) I don't use it. Lots of American sites are inaccessible as a result, the Washington post is the most annoying loss so far.
    And now Chainreaction. Which I only use to get the names of stuff and then buy on other sites cos of the fastaway thing. But is extra annoying cos as you say they have your deets anyway!
    Grrr!

I know it's also mainly futile, but I will resist!

• Registered Users Posts: 24,987 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

Strobing wrote: »
    Few groups in Clontarf today taking up the whole cycleway cycling two abreast and forcing oncoming cyclists to slow down significantly...
    I experienced it today. Idiot in Clontarf CC gear with another rider on the wrong side of the track at the city end. He pointed to the grass to my left as I neared as if to say I should be riding there.

• Advertisement

I'd have pointed back at him with a middle finger.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,801 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

Message their club secretary about their behaviour, usually the quickest and simplest way to hopefully see an improvement in behaviour. Cyclists are far easier to ID than people think but this alone should hopefully sort the issue out.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,484 ✭✭✭manafana

CramCycle wrote: »
    Message their club secretary about their behaviour, usually the quickest and simplest way to hopefully see an improvement in behaviour. Cyclists are far easier to ID than people think but this alone should hopefully sort the issue out.

its a few idiots, problem is the path gets narrow in parts and people don't change to single out, as suggested email the club, at least its easy to do something than a few randomers causing the issue.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,450 ✭✭✭Harrybelafonte

I experienced it today. Idiot in Clontarf CC gear with another rider on the wrong side of the track at the city end. He pointed to the grass to my left as I neared as if to say I should be riding there.

This is a constant on that route. It's why I stopped using it. They get testy really quickly if pulled up on it.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,335 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

2 clubs regularly on the path. Them and Naomh Barrog. The latter are always courteous in my experience.

Their ones have a definite air if entitlement about them.

Weepsie wrote: »
    2 clubs regularly on the path. Them and Naomh Barrog. The latter are always courteous in my experience.

Their ones have a definite air if entitlement about them.

I use this route a lot, purely because I live more or less in the City Centre and it's 50kms on the nose if I head to Howth and do the hill twice. I've had cause to have words with Clontarf CC folk a few times, with Naomh Barrog I've only had pleasant chats.

The thing is about that cyclepath is that it's a greenway and should be treated as such, if you want to go for speed on that stretch you do it when it's quiet or go onto the road.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,431 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

Even if you Onion up and vpn (some of them track and sell your data too)
    worth a watch:

sure it all doesn't matter if the NSA have working quantum computers.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,440 ✭✭✭cdaly_

Now that rings a bell. I have a vague memory of taking several left turns in a sort of a 'square' to get onto the N4 a few years ago.

It's not a nice square though. Fast traffic heading for the motorway getting annoyed by bloody cyclists in their way...

• Registered Users Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭Eamonnator

I'm pretty sure, I didn't understand any part of that post.
    I gave up, when I walked past a restaurant lately and when I got home, I had a notification(?) asking if I had enjoyed my experience in the restaurant.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,431 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

turn location off on your phone unless you actually need it at the time.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,987 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

Eamonnator wrote: »
    I'm pretty sure, I didn't understand any part of that post....
    Likewise!

IP, Onion up and VPN? WTF?

Likewise!

EK4Oy8iXYAALLMM.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 9,176 ✭✭✭RobertFoster

Likewise!

IP = Internet Protocol - A series of numbers that identify a machine (and possibly its geographic location) connected to a network, be it a computer, phone, printer, server hosting a website, etc. e.g. Google = 172.217.7.3, my printer = 192.168.1.200

Onion up = Use Tor ("The Onion Router") to anonymise your browsing.

VPN = Virtual private network, another way to try and anonymise your browsing. Can be used to bypass regional restrictions, like watching BBC iPlayer outside the UK, by making your IP appear as if it's connecting from somewhere else.

Sake, cycling kit got soaked this morning on the way in, the radiators here aren't working, waiting on an engineer and heating the office with those electric thingys so can't dry clothes. So I'll be cycling home in wet kit and then straight to boxing. So I'll have a wet hole while getting punched in the face

• Registered Users Posts: 14,891 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

So I'll have a wet hole while getting punched in the face

some people would pay good money for that!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,298 ✭✭✭secman

Can be used to bypass regional restrictions, like watching BBC iPlayer outside the UK, by making your IP appear as if it's connecting from somewhere else.[/quote]

That sounds the biz, BBC iPlayer would be cool to have access too :)

loyatemu wrote: »
    some people would pay good money for that!

What to see it happen to me or to do it themselves :pac:

Wind forecast for tomorrow sounds like it might be good for people cycling home from town to howth in the afternoon.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,602 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

Wind forecast for tomorrow sounds like it might be good for people cycling home from town to howth in the afternoon.
    I've no doubt that whatever direction I'm going in, the wind will be against me :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭Eamonnator

IP = Internet Protocol - A series of numbers that identify a machine (and possibly its geographic location) connected to a network, be it a computer, phone, printer, server hosting a website, etc. e.g. Google = 172.217.7.3, my printer = 192.168.1.200

Onion up = Use Tor ("The Onion Router") to anonymise your browsing.

VPN = Virtual private network, another way to try and anonymise your browsing. Can be used to bypass regional restrictions, like watching BBC iPlayer outside the UK, by making your IP appear as if it's connecting from somewhere else.

This is giving me a headache.

Edit:
    Dear Jesus, I just googled Tor. I'm going to have to go for a little lie down and then go to bed.

Advertisement