Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

La Flamme Rouge **off topic discussion**

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 6,848 Mod ✭✭✭✭eeeee

Wind forecast for tomorrow sounds like it might be good for people cycling home from town to howth in the afternoon.

Aaaaaaah :( It's my first day back in work post festivities, and it's gonna be a slog *tantrum*
    Eamonnator wrote: »
    This is giving me a headache.

Edit:
    Dear Jesus, I just googled Tor. I'm going to have to go for a little lie down and then go to bed.

It's the way forward! I came to it through these people, they're awesome: https://rlc.radicallibrarianship.org/about-2/

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 6,848 Mod ✭✭✭✭eeeee

Which VPN do people use? I always use/d Tunnelbear cos I've a mac but it's very basis and not amazing, I am in the market for a change and wondering if ExpressVPN is all people make it out to be!

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,507 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

I use Vpn unlimited but only because I got a liiftime sub for 5 devices real cheap on stacksocial I think. It's grand, no more, no less clunky sign in

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,614 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

i don't bother with one; i have no need to mask my region to watch the likes of the iplayer.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,507 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

I've only used mine for iPlayer and jumping around netflix regions and for getting a savagely cheap Deezer sub I think once.

I've also used it for looking for bike parts in specific countries when (in my head at least) the search engines will be localized and I might find something specific in Germany say beyond the normal shops.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,123 ✭✭✭daragh_

If you are interested in ultra-endurance - Mark Beaumont is speaking at the Pavilion Theatre in Feb.

https://www.paviliontheatre.ie/events/view/mark-beaumont-around-the-world-in-80-days

Apologies if this has been posted before.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,246 ✭✭✭Hungrycol

CramCycle wrote: »
    Message their club secretary about their behaviour, usually the quickest and simplest way to hopefully see an improvement in behaviour. Cyclists are far easier to ID than people think but this alone should hopefully sort the issue out.

I have some old club kit I still use but haven't been a member for years. I wear it mainly under other non-club branded kit, not because I'm acting the d!ck on the bike but because I'm too slow to do it justice. Other ex-club a$$holes however may be less concerned. My point is that a complaint to the club might be ineffective.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,614 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

suggested cycling earworms for when out cycling and you can't shift a tune from your head?
    'legs are burning' by midnight oil.
    'help me zondas' by the beach boys.
    'the sound of cyclists' by simon and garfunkel.
    hello cunard my old friend
    i've come to bust myself up you again...
    this morning's earworm; 'degreaser' by the pixies.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,269 Mod ✭✭✭✭Chips Lovell

this morning's earworm; 'degreaser' by the pixies.

Beat you to it by a decade.
    Got me a movie
    I want you to know
    Slicing up eyeballs
    I want you to know
    Girlie so groovy
    I want you to know
    Don't know about you
    But i am un chien andalusia
    Wanna grow
    Up to be
    Be a degreaser
    Degreaser

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭Eamonnator

I've just finished mowing my lawn.
    There are a surprising number of people, who think that I'm not mad.
    I also cycled 75kms this morning.
    I'm going to have a long hot bath now.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,377 ✭✭✭franglan

Lads I'm going to Tenerife in a month, would love to climb Mount Teide something I've always wanted to do. Haven't been on a road bike even with one sitting in my bedroom for at least a year. Used to go out once a month roughly for 30km - 50km cycles few climbs here and there. I'm reasonably fit, play gaelic football and keep myself in grand shape. Just haven't got out on the bike of late do to other sports taking over. Haven't cycled anything like this before, climbed caranthouhill recently and it was no bother but not on a bike naturally enough and probably isint anyway comparative. Is it feasible to do this - will try and get a company to guide me up it (will see if Bike Point, Tenerife do tours up there). Any advice appreciated.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,938 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

Hungrycol wrote: »
    I have some old club kit I still use but haven't been a member for years. I wear it mainly under other non-club branded kit, not because I'm acting the d!ck on the bike but because I'm too slow to do it justice. Other ex-club a$$holes however may be less concerned. My point is that a complaint to the club might be ineffective.

Might not, might be, never know but if you do nothing, nothing will happen.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,995 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

franglan wrote: »
    Lads I'm going to Tenerife in a month, would love to climb Mount Teide something I've always wanted to do. Haven't been on a road bike even with one sitting in my bedroom for at least a year. Used to go out once a month roughly for 30km - 50km cycles few climbs here and there. I'm reasonably fit, play gaelic football and keep myself in grand shape. Just haven't got out on the bike of late do to other sports taking over. Haven't cycled anything like this before, climbed caranthouhill recently and it was no bother but not on a bike naturally enough and probably isint anyway comparative. Is it feasible to do this - will try and get a company to guide me up it (will see if Bike Point, Tenerife do tours up there). Any advice appreciated.
    Don't want to seem pessimistic but that's a long haul especially for someone who isn't climbing regularly. It's not particularly steep but it's 50k from Playa de Las Anericas to the cable car station. And, after the village of Vilafor (at 24k), there's no opportunity to get food or water for the next 26k. I doubt that any tours go up that far. Good place to spot pro-cyclists training in the off season.

If you're on Strava, here's the segment from Las Americas to the Cable Car.

https://www.strava.com/segments/11692544

Stretch of road I use while walking the dog / kids and used by many to do like wise and run etc. and is part of a nice 4.5 km loop has a 50m section where the footpath disappears and turns into a hard shoulder and turns into a footpath again. During this hard shoulder there is a right turn into Lidl which means you get cars bombing down the left side of cars waiting to turn right into said lidl. Had more than one close call on it over the years even hugging the wall.

Imagine my surprise this morning when riding by when I see they have installed some wands to stop the undertaking :D

Van doing the job of the wands and blocking the Colt here maybe I think. Now there are wands in place from the red painted wall to the second entrance of the business on the left.

https://www.google.com/maps/@53.70631,-6.3696261,3a,75y,171.16h,73.81t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1sc3Uo7nRjXt_DnqC5a19Afw!2e0!7i16384!8i8192

• Registered Users Posts: 3,484 ✭✭✭manafana

franglan wrote: »

Its pity you havn't keep up cycling to get to and from gaelic football :),

I did Tiede in decent shape, for a non cyclist its not easy, but its not crazy steep so doable, my main worry for a novice would be a long descent. Recommend some time on bike for that challenge including just getting used to those muscle groups and been in a saddle.

the rediscovery centre in ballymun are looking for a part time bike tech, if anyone knows someone interested. this would be reasonably low-end stuff, i suspect - they take in old bikes and do them up, or do basic maintenance classes:

http://www.rediscoverycentre.ie/wp-content/uploads/2017/08/Bike-Technician-2020.pdf

• Registered Users Posts: 24,995 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

Does anyone know what has happened to the leaderboards for the Strava monthly challenges? None of the January ones have been displayed and Strava haven't answered any of the multiple comments/questions from users.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,081 ✭✭✭buffalo

Does anyone know what has happened to the leaderboards for the Strava monthly challenges? None of the January ones have been displayed and Strava haven't answered any of the multiple comments/questions from users.

Y2K20 bug.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,787 ✭✭✭✭dahat

Think they were removed as the comeption element was being abused and/or manipulated. I had read a few tweets on it but can't remember what account.

• Advertisement

This led me down a bit of a rabbit hole after I watched it earlier when they mentioned Sram 46x10 12 speed etap on the road bike. I'd not read anything on that group set and I backed away slowly when I saw it cost the guts of 4k :D

But still I need to head over to bikecalc and do the numbers, I suspect it betters compact.

But still I need to head over to bikecalc and do the numbers, I suspect it betters compact.

It does but not by 4k

• Registered Users Posts: 5,442 ✭✭✭LollipopJimmy

Left work later than usual this evening and had to from the saddle straight to the mats when I got to the gym. Training partners seem to punch me harder when I'm in cycling kit

Left work later than usual this evening and had to from the saddle straight to the mats when I got to the gym. Training partners seem to punch me harder when I'm in cycling kit

Probably can't see how far away from them you are. I can imagine one of them looking down at you after hitting you full belt to the side of the head, sorry mate, I didn't see you :pac:

On a more humourous note about wearing cycling gear, my partner got me northwave bib tights as a present. Whatever way the lycra grips, it is very much a full frontal picture, may as well be wearing nothing at all. Anyway, wore them in but decided to hit the showers and went straight to them, only too bump into a contingent of co workers who were in far earlier than me. One of them couldn't stop staring, I haven't asked if it was due to being impressed, shocked or pure bemusement

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,844 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

I'd say it was more...
    87f53ebb29a3f33d3bd799acad476a88.jpg

:D

• Registered Users Posts: 16,787 ✭✭✭✭dahat

CramCycle wrote: »
    On a more humourous note about wearing cycling gear, my partner got me northwave bib tights as a present. Whatever way the lycra grips, it is very much a full frontal picture, may as well be wearing nothing at all. Anyway, wore them in but decided to hit the showers and went straight to them, only too bump into a contingent of co workers who were in far earlier than me. One of them couldn't stop staring, I haven't asked if it was due to being impressed, shocked or pure bemusement

Same shorts same problem sometime ago, binned them to to turbo after 2 wears.

so it's not just me then. also, mine kinda feel like you're wearing cheesecutter wires at times. they rarely get used.

Remember getting a pair of I think it was aldi or lidl ones which were probably too small and coming into the kitchen with them on before a spin and my partner doubled over laughing. A retreat up stairs and a look in the mirror told me all I needed to know front..... and rear :D

• Advertisement

this is an extension of a 'tell us something about you that sounds like a lie but is true' thing that's gone viral on twitter.

https://twitter.com/TrueBS/status/1215649778769563648

Advertisement