Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

La Flamme Rouge **off topic discussion**

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,431 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,431 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,801 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

this is an extension of a 'tell us something about you that sounds like a lie but is true' thing that's gone viral on twitter.

https://twitter.com/TrueBS/status/1215649778769563648

I had a KOM on strava in which Ryan Sherlock was in 2nd place. I then reported it as it went through a right turn at lights in Dundrum but for one brief moment I was close to glory :(

this was my entry. happened about 15 years ago on parnell road approaching the bridge at the canal (i.e. the one at the bottom of harold's cross):

https://twitter.com/JSWeetabix/status/1215791039153410048

• Registered Users Posts: 11,766 ✭✭✭✭tomasrojo

One day, a man drove at high speed up onto the Luas bridge as I was cycling by, ran out of the car and vaulted over the railings into the water below. I never saw him surface, and I cycled around looking for a life preserver after calling Kilmainham Garda station. Minutes later the emergency services were all over the bridge, and by the time I left, there was still no sign of him.

Not very funny, but one of the weirder things that happened to me while out and about on the bike.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭Eamonnator

I once did the Maracycle (Dublin-Belfast) on a mountain bike and averaged over 32kph.

monday looks like fun for those of us in dublin:

499782.png

and a hell of a lot of fun for anyone on the west coast (this is for derrynane):

499783.png

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

I didnt need to know that M :pac:

So insoles???? Anyone use them in their cycling shoes? I use them in my every day shoes/boots and runners but never occurred to me to use them in my cycling shoes :confused:

I find the cool gel ones from lidl when they have them nice and scholls much more expensive equivalent do a nice job of keeping my feet from sweating so might give them a go in the cycling shoes and was just wondering if there was any reason I shouldn't????

• Registered Users Posts: 5,442 ✭✭✭LollipopJimmy

Was about to pull the trigger on a CX bike, Cinelli zydeco, can get one for sub 1000, 2019 version bought by a lad I know and never used.

I ended up putting a deposit on a Honda CBR instead... Now I need to figure a way of buying both. I am aware one day I will need to grow up and stop throwing money away, today is not that day

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,176 ✭✭✭RobertFoster

So insoles???? Anyone use them in their cycling shoes? I use them in my every day shoes/boots and runners but never occurred to me to use them in my cycling shoes :confused:

I find the cool gel ones from lidl when they have them nice and scholls much more expensive equivalent do a nice job of keeping my feet from sweating so might give them a go in the cycling shoes and was just wondering if there was any reason I shouldn't????
    Do your shoes have vents that would be blocked by gel insoles more so than the current insoles? Could cause drainage/heating problems.

Also, how stiff are your soles? Would the gel add more flex than you want to the shoe?

Do your shoes have vents that would be blocked by gel insoles more so than the current insoles? Could cause drainage/heating problems.

Also, how stiff are your soles? Would the gel add more flex than you want to the shoe?

Actually tested them this morning with the ones from my runners, ended up riding 35km with them in my back pocket :o

• Registered Users Posts: 3,484 ✭✭✭manafana

iv had winter/summer insoles come with my spiuks which i added to get tighter fit

• Registered Users Posts: 16,734 ✭✭✭✭dahat

My trusry winter steed needs a new groupset before next winter as the 5800 on its is getting battered especially the shifters.

Anyone use the 4700 tiagra? Full gs for 350 ish euro currently. I know it's a step back from 11 speed but this bike sees turbo & winter only.

Am I too assume the chain set & pm (stages) can be used with 4700?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,930 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

Im pretty useless at bike maintenance but GCN are seriously scraping the barrel here:

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

They ran out of content 18 months ago and have been full blown filler mode since.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,484 ✭✭✭manafana

should do more travel diaries and trips, guy they hired used do weekly blogs for cycling weekly and they wherent bad, he tried hill climb tt's around uk, did lots of stuff you'd do yourself then trips away and was interesting.

ALot GCN content is so bland.

• Registered Users Posts: 985 ✭✭✭Miklos

dahat wrote: »
    My trusry winter steed needs a new groupset before next winter as the 5800 on its is getting battered especially the shifters.

Anyone use the 4700 tiagra? Full gs for 350 ish euro currently. I know it's a step back from 11 speed but this bike sees turbo & winter only.

My winter bike is a total ten speed mongrel with bits of 105, ultegra and Tiagra. The newest part on it is a 4700 chainset and I really like it.

ED E wrote: »
    They ran out of content 18 months ago
    there have been some interesting videos recently, but there's only so much you can produce without repeating yourself if you're producing probably 10 videos a week across the main channel and the tech channel.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,176 ✭✭✭RobertFoster

I have over 13,000 winter kms on a 4700 groupset since November '16. No problems with it. Other than a new chain every winter, I only replaced the bottom bracket recently and the cassette at 8,000 km.

Not sure about compatibility with 5800 or your pm. A quick search brings up needing to use the 4700 FD no matter what because of cable tension.

• Advertisement

Not sure about compatibility with 5800 or your pm. A quick search brings up needing to use the 4700 FD no matter what because of cable tension.
    and the 5800 is 11 speed, 4700 is ten speed, so shifters wouldn't match cassette/RD.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,801 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

Is Conor Dunne getting a job with them? I seen him linking to them on Twitter or Instagram,

CramCycle wrote: »
    Is Conor Dunne getting a job with them? I seen him linking to them on Twitter or Instagram,

Yeah he's been on a couple of times now, both in disguise and as himself.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,335 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

and the 5800 is 11 speed, 4700 is ten speed, so shifters wouldn't match cassette/RD.

He just wanted to use the chainset though. The 5800 chainset will work fine with the Tiagra. I've done it on several bikes.

Alternatively,just have mismatched crankarms as it will also be fine on it to put the Stages onto a Tiagra crankset.

Thanks for the replies on the 4700 query.

As i'll be replacing the whole GS issues around rd etc aren't relevant. The bike is old and a 4700 gs makes sense cash wise for the purpose of the bike. The comments here are positive for 4700 but online reviews are iffy on the brakes so i may at the time source new 5800 or above brakes.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,987 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

.... is getting battered especially the shifters.....
    I would have thought the shifters would be the last to go. I got 63,000kms out of a pair of shifters on one of my bikes. They'd probably last a good while longer but the frame cracked so I retired it.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 6,845 Mod ✭✭✭✭eeeee

Interesting one on the advantages and disadvantages of shared spaces.

I would have thought the shifters would be the last to go. I got 63,000kms out of a pair of shifters on one of my bikes. They'd probably last a good while longer but the frame cracked so I retired it.

They would have done a fair amount of mileage, bike is easily 5-6 years old. 'll get the rest of turbo season out of them but would like to have them replaced by next turbo season.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,335 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

Why I'm watching it , I'm not sure. But 2009 winner of the Shay Elliot memorial, Matt Cronshaw is a contestant on Great Pottery Throwdown

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,760 ✭✭✭Effects

Came out of the off licence in fairview this evening, noticed a woman close by getting off her bike.
    Went off to unlock my own bike and started to cycle off, noticed the woman wasn't there anymore. Figured she went into a doorway where the bike was left.
    Dodgy looking bloke eyes it up in passing so I turned around and went up on the path.
    The guy turned back, started handling the bike to size it up. At this point I noticed she didn't have it locked.
    The guy turned around and noticed me, asked if it was my bike. Not a very smart question, as I was on my bike, but I replied that it was my friend's bike.
    He said he thought it was a nice bike, and was going to take it as he thought nobody owned it.
    He acted like it was kind of a funny situation, rather than just opportunistic thieving.
    After he left I waited a few minutes, but she didn't come back and I had to head on.

Advertisement