Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

La Flamme Rouge **off topic discussion**

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,431 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

Weepsie wrote: »
    Why I'm watching it , I'm not sure. But 2009 winner of the Shay Elliot memorial, Matt Cronshaw is a contestant on Great Pottery Throwdown
    my wife watches it because the big burly judge cries all the time, and it's endearing.

Weepsie wrote: »
    Why I'm watching it , I'm not sure. But 2009 winner of the Shay Elliot memorial, Matt Cronshaw is a contestant on Great Pottery Throwdown

Not the same without Sara Cox :(

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,431 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

i never knew she'd participated in the shay elliot.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 6,845 Mod ✭✭✭✭eeeee

Not the same without Sara Cox :(

Agreed! She's great.
    This one seems a lot meaner, I don't like that.
    I have to commend Keith's commitment to hair gel.
    Bake Off is gone mean and uber competitive too, I've stopped watching it.

Thank flip for the Sewing Bee, that's just lovely.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,450 ✭✭✭Harrybelafonte

eeeee wrote: »
    Agreed! She's great.
    This one seems a lot meaner, I don't like that.
    I have to commend Keith's commitment to hair gel.
    Bake Off is gone mean and uber competitive too, I've stopped watching it.

Thank flip for the Sewing Bee, that's just lovely.

Junior Bake Off with Harry Hill is good.

• Advertisement

not cycling, but this is a hell of an activity.
    elevation is 2.5 times an everest; and check out the difference between average and max speed.

https://www.strava.com/activities/2133695655

• Registered Users Posts: 8,073 ✭✭✭buffalo

not cycling, but this is a hell of an activity.
    elevation is 2.5 times an everest; and check out the difference between average and max speed.

https://www.strava.com/activities/2133695655

Was he getting a ski lift back up though?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,335 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

Mooc on Urban planning for the Bicycle

https://www.coursera.org/learn/unraveling-the-cycling-city

After listening to a radio report on the incident where the homeless man in a tent was 'moved' was by a JCB, I was wondering if someone had parked a car in the same spot, what would they have done?

My gut tells me they would've hired a crane to gently lift it out onto the back of a tow truck, or onto the side of the road.

And I wondered how society came to value a tool of transport more than someone's temporary home (while noting they can be one and the same for some unlucky souls these days).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,442 ✭✭✭LollipopJimmy

buffalo wrote: »
    After listening to a radio report on the incident where the homeless man in a tent was 'moved' was by a JCB, I was wondering if someone had parked a car in the same spot, what would they have done?

My gut tells me they would've hired a crane to gently lift it out onto the back of a tow truck, or onto the side of the road.

And I wondered how society came to value a tool of transport more than someone's temporary home (while noting they can be one and the same for some unlucky souls these days).

This morning on newstalk?

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,602 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

We've had a fox prowling our estate in recent times. I was putting the bins out a few weeks back before bed and he was checking me out from my neighbours gate. Thank fook I'd not let the dog out with me like I sometimes would :eek:

I've seen him a couple of times since. Is it typically a bad sign to see them in an urban or residential area? Or is it just they think they can get easy food?

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,602 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

I've seen him a couple of times since. Is it typically a bad sign to see them in an urban or residential area? Or is it just they think they can get easy food?
    Apparently more live in urban areas than rural areas nowadays because we throw away so much food.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,801 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

No harm for us, bad for them, apparently obesity and type 2 Diabetes is on the rise in the urban fox population with their life expectancy in turn reduced

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,450 ✭✭✭Harrybelafonte

Apparently more live in urban areas than rural areas nowadays because we throw away so much food.

This isn't true. In Ireland, we have no clear idea of how many foxes live here as they've never been counted. In the UK, maybe 13% of the population live in urban areas. They're less shy of humans and seen more often, when in urban areas.

Mange is still the biggest killer (and they're still hunted by a certain type), so I still wouldn't get too close to them. They're still a wild animal.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,098 ✭✭✭NamelessPhil

We have suburban foxes in my estate and surrounding parks. I counted 6 within 500m one morning last year.

My cats lie in wait for them and chase them out of our back garden. The cats then come back looking very smug. Apparently a healthy cat is no match for an urban fox.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,269 Mod ✭✭✭✭Chips Lovell

We've a good few in my area. One was actually living in our back garden before we moved in (house had been vacant for a while). He seemed to move on once we moved in but he'd still visit the garden regularly. They're harmless for the most part, as long as your bins are inaccessible. Occasionally you'd find bones and other stuff that he'd obviously dragged in. Only time I ran him was when I caught him rooting around in my potatoes one morning.

I think he was killed last week. There was a dead fox on the road around 100m away from the house. Since foxes are territorial, I'm assuming he was our lad.

We have suburban foxes in my estate and surrounding parks. I counted 6 within 500m one morning last year.

My cats lie in wait for them and chase them out of our back garden. The cats then come back looking very smug. Apparently a healthy cat is no match for an urban fox.

Just saw your achievement, amazing work well done! Also, why do you bother with a house given you're clearly never in it!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,796 ✭✭✭Mefistofelino

Was woken a couple of weeks ago by the sound of an apparent murder attempt outside the house. Turned out to be two foxes screaming at each other.

• Advertisement

we used to have foxes regularly in the back garden, but we've not seen any in months. i suspect they were based in a nearby garden which has been cleared - my wife once saw three cubs playing on the flat roof of a shed behind us, overseen by their mother.

they drive the chickens bonkers when they do come into the garden though. as did the hedgehogs too, to be fair. chickens are dumb.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,796 ✭✭✭Mefistofelino

Saw a great definition of a fox last week: "Dog hardware, cat software"

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,335 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

we used to have foxes regularly in the back garden, but we've not seen any in months. i suspect they were based in a nearby garden which has been cleared - my wife once saw three cubs playing on the flat roof of a shed behind us, overseen by their mother.

they drive the chickens bonkers when they do come into the garden though. as did the hedgehogs too, to be fair. chickens are dumb.

There's at least one living in our neighbours garden so they haven't gone far.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 6,845 Mod ✭✭✭✭eeeee

I see loads of them. Love them.
    I couldn't believe how brave urban foxes were when I moved up from home!

No healthy fox wanders around in the day time though, something wrong there.

They don't wreck as much havoc in Dublin than they do in the country, I've come into a field of ewes with their stomachs ripped out and half eaten lambs scattered around.
    They're not so cute and cuddly.
    If there's a load of them around, all the ground laying birds are wiped out.
    I do love them, but they are vermin, and numbers have to be controlled in certain situations.

That said you need them around for balance, rabbits and rats and all that.

Didn't know about urban foxes diabetes, that's sad :(

I see them all the time on the commute, here's one on the Dublin quays from last week. Have nearly run one or two over as they often bolt from cover straight across the road.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,987 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

buffalo wrote: »
    After listening to a radio report on the incident where the homeless man in a tent was 'moved' was by a JCB, I was wondering if someone had parked a car in the same spot, what would they have done?...
    Awful incident but the continued reports that a JCB/digger/forklift/teleporter etc. was used are totally inaccurate. It was a tipper truck with a 'grab' on an extending jib which was used. Those other vehicles wouldn't have been able to access the area. (The tent had collapsed which is why I assume they thought it was unoccupied).

The person in the tent had been served an 'eviction notice' in the days previous.

Lifting occupied tents with a grab has been done before. One might think that it's a tactic of the workers to get the occupants out without a row.

I spoke in the media about this in recent days - I do a fair bit of work with the folk liv9ng in these tents.

Stage 3 of Women's Tour Down Under live here from about 1am https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XlRWeo8pOOo

Should be the decisive stage.

GCN have been great of late for coverage of races Eurosport don't pick up in the CX season and now the road races it seems.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,734 ✭✭✭✭dahat

Nationwide frost & ice warning for tomorrow, 9pm to 11am.

Not good news at all as I just can't face hours on turbo at weekends.

• Advertisement

I didn't chance the bike this morning, even now the place hasn't fully thawed.

Advertisement