Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

La Flamme Rouge **off topic discussion**

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,757 ✭✭✭Large bottle small glass

I didn't chance the bike this morning, even now the place hasn't fully thawed.

Charlie Kelly, Gary Fisher, Joe Breeze & Tom Ritchey came up with a solution for that nearly 50 years ago

EDIT: To be fair the Marin county lads were a bit late to the party despite their legacy

https://www.rsf.org.uk/about-us/history-and-beginnings.html

• Registered Users Posts: 24,987 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

dahat wrote: »
    Nationwide frost & ice warning for tomorrow, 9pm to 11am.

Not good news at all as I just can't face hours on turbo at weekends.
    Does your day end at 11am?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,442 ✭✭✭LollipopJimmy

I was out last night so left the bike in work. I wonder if its thinking about me too

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,431 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

i was up the wicklow mountains today (not on the bike) and there was a good amount of ice. -2 driving through roundwood just after 9.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,817 ✭✭✭marvin80

Probably won't get a chance to thaw out properly between 11 and 4 so I don't think it's worth the risk.

Where's the sense taking the risk, having a tumble and been injured for a few weeks?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,734 ✭✭✭✭dahat

Nope! Hard to know how road conditions will be like so yes I'm holding back till 10am. Once I'm back for 4pm I'm good.

I was out last night so left the bike in work. I wonder if its thinking about me too

Would you be the jealous type it let someone else ride it?

Nope! Hard to know how road conditions will be like so yes I'm holding back till 10am. Once I'm back for 4pm I'm good.

Valid point, refers back to wrecked shoulder in 2017.

Would you be the jealous type it let someone else ride it?

I dont mind sharing ;)

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,335 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

marvin80 wrote: »
    Probably won't get a chance to thaw out properly between 11 and 4 so I don't think it's worth the risk.

Where's the sense taking the risk, having a tumble and been injured for a few weeks?

I'm digging these out tonight https://www.chainreactioncycles.com/mobile/ie/en/schwalbe-winter-spike-road-tyre-k-guard/rp-prod118113

• Advertisement

Weepsie wrote: »

Tube burst when putting on(they're a pita to do so) . The world's way of telling me to have a break

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,431 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

it's a bit frigid out there. frost on the roads in a lot of places, but can't tell if there's black ice.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,602 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

Its freezing, I was up all night watching UFC and had to put the heat on all through the night. Going to bed at 7 and theres my neighbour going for a cycle when its slippy as feck outside. I cant get him out in the good weather

• Registered Users Posts: 282 ✭✭Acquiescence

I've gotten into a really bad habit of just doing a vague approximation of exercise while reading on the spin bike instead of getting out on the road when I have the chance.

Day off today. Got up early, pot of coffee, nice breakfast, adjusted front brake, lubed chain, spent 20 minutes looking for wahoo, gear on, out the door.

Di2 dead as a stone.

Lost will to live.

Currently sitting on spin bike.

Might cry.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,440 ✭✭✭cdaly_

Cables FTW...

• Registered Users Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭Eamonnator

^^^^^^^^^^^^^

followed closely by an apology by Dublin Commuter Coalition to VMN

yep, just spotted that. posted after i'd put the tweet here.

for the record:

https://twitter.com/DublinCommuters/status/1220273923260080128

• Registered Users Posts: 2,116 ✭✭✭Peterx

Saw a post there, a nice person trying to re-unite a bike light with it's owner.

I am not as nice, I would consider a bike light as booty and not even begin to consider trying to give it back*. Same for hats, €10 notes, tubes and so on.

On the other hand, I have gone to fairly extensive lengths to get wallets back to their owners. With the money intact ;)

Where's the line for you?

* I would give the light back if it fell off the bike in front of me..

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,801 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

Peterx wrote: »
    Saw a post there, a nice person trying to re-unite a bike light with it's owner.

I am not as nice, I would consider a bike light as booty and not even begin to consider trying to give it back*. Same for hats, €10 notes, tubes and so on.

On the other hand, I have gone to fairly extensive lengths to get wallets back to their owners. With the money intact ;)

Where's the line for you?

* I would give the light back if it fell off the bike in front of me..

Depends on the situation, if it was a free RSA one, I'd just hand it to the next person I seen without lights, if it was a decent one, I'd probably post here, maybe twitter. Wallets are handy, normally a way of getting in contact in the wallet, if not, to the garda station on the way home.

Peterx wrote: »
    I am not as nice, I would consider a bike light as booty and not even begin to consider trying to give it back*.
    and then the light ends up in the bottom of the spare parts pile because you can't jerry rig a mount that works with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

CramCycle wrote: »
    Depends on the situation, if it was a free RSA one, I'd just hand it to the next person I seen without lights, if it was a decent one, I'd probably post here, maybe twitter. Wallets are handy, normally a way of getting in contact in the wallet, if not, to the garda station on the way home.
    This. If it was something decent, then I've been there and know the pain of having to fork out another forty quid (and the rest!), so I'd make some attempt to return it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,123 ✭✭✭daragh_

There's a nice Lezyne rear light out there somewhere between Gunny Hill and Lamb Doyles if anyone wants it :D

CramCycle wrote: »

I left my wallet in that wee coffee shop on Leeson St Bridge, it was never handed in and none of the cards were ever tapped anywhere - I cancelled the PTSB one but there was a Revolut and N26 card in it and you have the ability to switch off contactless via their apps so I did that to see if anybody would use them, I'd get a notification if somebody tried to use them. But no, the wallet had my business and student cards also so I could have easily been located.

I don't know why somebody wouldn't make an effort to return a wallet

I left my wallet in that wee coffee shop on Leeson St Bridge, it was never handed in and none of the cards were ever tapped anywhere - I cancelled the PTSB one but there was a Revolut and N26 card in it and you have the ability to switch off contactless via their apps so I did that to see if anybody would use them, I'd get a notification if somebody tried to use them. But no, the wallet had my business and student cards also so I could have easily been located.

I don't know why somebody wouldn't make an effort to return a wallet
    By the sounds of it, it probably ended up accidentally being thrown in the bin

Just saw this on YOLO thread...

Currently doing a massive refresh on my bike, new headset bearings, new chain, new cassette and everything scrubbed etc.

Chainring is off, would I be as well replacing this? I dont want to spend more if I dont have to

Road works bottom of howth descent into village word of warning.

• Advertisement

Currently doing a massive refresh on my bike, new headset bearings, new chain, new cassette and everything scrubbed etc.

Chainring is off, would I be as well replacing this? I dont want to spend more if I dont have to

Now I'm often a terrible judge of wear, but that chainring looks like it has tonnes of life left in

Advertisement