Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

La Flamme Rouge **off topic discussion**

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,796 ✭✭✭Mefistofelino

CramCycle wrote: »
    It is too late now as redeveloping the bridge would be a criminal waste of money. The plan is that one day it may become motorway grade but it is still an N road, and at the planning and building stage, having a hard shoulder across the bridge would have been a simple addition. It would have cost more but now it is impossible. I wouldn't have been looking for a cycle lane, just a hard shoulder for cycling or walking (although I imagine walking will be minimal before I get a point asking who would be walking it)

It might have been a simple addition, but not a cheap one. For a suspension bridge, the costs per "lane-metre" can be in excess of €50,000. Even allowing for the lower weight bearing requirements of a hard-shoulder / bike lane and dropping the cost to, say, €10,000 per lane meter (if you were to consider the combined width of a hard shoulder on each side as equivalent to one lane), that would be at least €8 million. That's probably the reason behind not providing any hard shoulder and not (just) a "phuq da other road users".

There's also the issue that there is no hard shoulder on the Western approach road or for about 1.8km on the Eastern side (from what I've seen from photographs) so that would have to be addressed too.

If you had a lump sum of > €10 million to spend on cycling infrastructure, you'd get far better value for it than spending on that bridge.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,431 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

i'm curious about roads like that being built without a hard shoulder. is that on roads where they're not expecting traffic to go above a certain level?
    i wouldn't particularly like the idea of breaking down on a road where you cannot pull the car out of a driving lane where other motorists will be doing 100km/h.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,796 ✭✭✭Mefistofelino

i'm curious about roads like that being built without a hard shoulder. is that on roads where they're not expecting traffic to go above a certain level?
    i wouldn't particularly like the idea of breaking down on a road where you cannot pull the car out of a driving lane where other motorists will be doing 100km/h.

I'm guessing that someone, somewhere has calculated the likelihood of an incident requiring a hard shoulder occurring on a specific section of road. Tunnels don't have them and lost of bridges here and abroad don't have them either.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,333 ✭✭✭Daroxtar

Got the go ahead for another trip to the Vuelta Espana. Flights booked straight away. Angliru you terrible beautiful beast, see you again soon :D

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,801 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

It might have been a simple addition, but not a cheap one. For a suspension bridge, the costs per "lane-metre" can be in excess of €50,000. Even allowing for the lower weight bearing requirements of a hard-shoulder / bike lane and dropping the cost to, say, €10,000 per lane meter (if you were to consider the combined width of a hard shoulder on each side as equivalent to one lane), that would be at least €8 million. That's probably the reason behind not providing any hard shoulder and not (just) a "phuq da other road users".

There's also the issue that there is no hard shoulder on the Western approach road or for about 1.8km on the Eastern side (from what I've seen from photographs) so that would have to be addressed too.

If you had a lump sum of > €10 million to spend on cycling infrastructure, you'd get far better value for it than spending on that bridge.
    I'd agree with the 10million bit. Personally, doesn't affect me but if I stayed quiet about the things that don't affect me, well, i don't think that is a healthy attitude to have.
    Two options (possibly) available that would not have cost that much (although one would have cost alot that might be better elsewhere). If you mean solely for cycling and pedestrian use, the weight bearing would be a lot lower and could have been hung outside the bridge at a far lower cost (but still pricey and probably underused), similar to the overhangs on the liffey. The other option, as it is, presuming these are motorway grade lanes, is to reduce the speed coming over the bridge, have average speed cameras on both sides, well advertised, and the narrow the lanes slightly and add in the hard shoulder. Funnily, I imagine if you had said to the county council that they could save a lot of money by reducing the speed limit and narrowing the road in the first place, it never would have been accepted.
    You'd need 80cm more on the left hand side minimum (preferably more), reducing that bridge lane to either 3.1 or 3.45m (I can't find specs). Not sure what the minimum width on an N road are but they might get away with it. If in the future it does get upgraded to a motorway, they can simply strip the paint and realign the lanes to the proper width.

I don't live in the area, and the few times I go that direction, this road being a motorway will probably benefit me, but I think my point is valid, and if they want to call it an N road, they should have made the provision while building.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,431 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

https://twitter.com/simon_deliver/status/1223569659645112320

got me wondering - how do google distinguish between cyclists/peds/cars in rush hour traffic? or do they?

• Registered Users Posts: 16,734 ✭✭✭✭dahat

I've just listened to someone complain about being salary capped @ 38k for working in a warehouse for non shift work.

The bubble people live is at times is baffling, if she ever leaves this job the same work gets 26k per year anywhere else.

got me wondering - how do google distinguish between cyclists/peds/cars in rush hour traffic? or do they?

Speed of movement compared to other road users, paths taken compared to others etc. It is quite accurate at predicting what form of transport you are using.

• Registered Users Posts: 22 Strobing

GF's mother brought me a builder's vest home last night, always giving out she can never "see" cyclists/me despite my lights. I didn't bother arguing.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,931 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

Yikes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 167 ✭✭Torres09

Strobing wrote: »
    GF's mother brought me a builder's vest home last night, always giving out she can never "see" cyclists/me despite my lights. I didn't bother arguing.

Tomorrow night bring her home a kitchen apron and see how she likes it:P

• Registered Users Posts: 8,798 ✭✭✭MiskyBoyy

Thargor wrote: »

Jesus christ. I'd like to see if there was any legal outcome to that?

Also, I like the way the only other cyclist bar that group kept going :rolleyes:

CramCycle wrote: »
    Speed of movement compared to other road users, paths taken compared to others etc. It is quite accurate at predicting what form of transport you are using.
    that's what had me curious - the chap above pulled a cart with 99 phones in it, and google maps has interpreted it clearly as 99 cars - which should have taken up at least half a kilometre of the street - all clustered on the same spot.

that's what had me curious - the chap above pulled a cart with 99 phones in it, and google maps has interpreted it clearly as 99 cars - which should have taken up at least half a kilometre of the street - all clustered on the same spot.

Or 15 to 20 cars full to capacity? Also could interpret it as some cars, some pedestrians, maybe a bus.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,798 ✭✭✭MiskyBoyy

There's options to choose between Car, Train, Walking and Cycling on Gmaps. Choosing the cycling one will bring you some routes cars can't go.

So, up to user input to choose the correct one.

that's only if you're using google maps navigation - google still logs your location if you have location enabled, and i think it's the latter which is used to generate traffic info.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,931 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

Could it be that the location info is accurate enough to show the exact position on the road? It will show you taking individual steps ona footpath these days. There are probably enough tells in that for someone like Google to spot a car compared to a cyclist and filter them out.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,236 ✭✭✭Idleater

It's fairly easy to differentiate between cycling and walking with the phone accelerometers. The phone counts steps pretty accuratly. Driving can be confirmed by Bluetooth connection and bus by the shops corresponding with the mapped stops.

My history is pretty accurate between modes. The odd very smooth (little stops) bus journey being worked as a car journey.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,442 ✭✭✭LollipopJimmy

Am I missing something? Is there any (sane) reason for doing this?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,176 ✭✭✭RobertFoster

"Simon Weckert is an artist..."

Sounds like a good enough reason to me :)

• Advertisement

diverting traffic away from a street, i suspect, is the main practical application.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,333 ✭✭✭Daroxtar

He's planning a heist, sending cars down streets to impede the 5-0 and clearing his escape route.

Daroxtar wrote: »
    He's planning a heist, sending cars down streets to impede the 5-0 and clearing his escape route.

I was thinking the next heist caper we see from Hollywood will steal this idea :D

am curious as to how long my comment on this instagram ad will last.

501904.png

• Registered Users Posts: 6,850 ✭✭✭FouxDaFaFa

^^^^

They can't even be bothered to shop the driver to the right side of the car for an Irish market.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,766 ✭✭✭✭tomasrojo

i suggested tallaght powder coating to him on twitter and never even got a like.

(to be fair, i nicked the suggestion from someone here).

i suggested tallaght powder coating to him on twitter and never even got a like.

(to be fair, i nicked the suggestion from someone here).

I wouldnt let them powder coat an old screwdriver.

wise decision. powder coating an old screwdriver would be economically foolish and functionally, a strange thing to do.

• Advertisement

wise decision. powder coating an old screwdriver would be economically foolish and functionally, a strange thing to do.

I've done worse

Advertisement