Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

La Flamme Rouge **off topic discussion**

Options

Comments

Partners sister is over and they were watching Amélie, I like the movie but declined on watching it again but got called to confirm yes that was a real horse joining in a real bike race in France :D

It has a brief clip of the horse bolting during the 1997 Critérium International

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,335 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

Anyone who cyles around Oldtown area notice the Jose Mourinho eyes that have been stuck onto some poles. I've seen 2 now. One near Lispopple apples/roganstown and one after Oldtown if you're heading southbound.

dHdSrYLYsb6uPMbGMRHS7RCOrblobJdR1Gfa2JykOYlfkZD7HjXHZ4BdSXP0YpwrH7NItoYrhBrDIKsVPMimsXzIlNIc0-4yxU6dB3asvE9Gg004tvhWuaYwFWgUqtIbFb2II-02tmW5kTAfem_1riGEe9oUORGptUAZ3B8OWx-1XaxQG9QI0n88_9em4p8YODQE6Z9jKG3BNOEX7wRVm9QAH-qF7Q86QWUZQMi315inht4slDdJPK_uFwYdmZpzfC0NDv4D9NME3CxztZd1Xlgwr3eNYMesWxpbUPmRCLNzVXZDLodGQaqiaGtbiiVmIgtfyhV23imVfIBLlMAA2LAEa2YO5AXZdNl8T4HSbFoY4s7kYk9nZoND1HkmTaBcSCuSlJxaB1MxFNInoPZAYQ7Gax3nnC_TdWuCwEPPhhdhYs5dSYGtDlMGrFXMRQEoSnQxub1hZOWhT2AWmjVJxdUVELF59upO76GFz1kkm4nWpJHUlYrxj8jJElyhDjhLzxqa42e5nggl1bMNXVGNcFl1wGv0AD-cP1-FbE1wRDB9TvT5DGBsjLd7EuxD7DRwlSUQA4WJTFyTeqpEA8qg0h2Ms2rFH0tA0Wem4uzGMKdkwH49dRYdddbwPsVwgjAVJZd00U890M4owpEy9NZ3iFctTZiqj6cfDdXIJPNgHwqigguav-1nLUw=s359-no

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,431 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

Are they the ones which look like they've been cut out of election posters? Your image isn't loading for me.

498769.jpg

That's the one.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,431 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

the one above is/was at the junction where you cross the broadmeadow river - coming from kilsallaghan, heading for oldtown.

• Advertisement

Someone went to a bit of trouble to decorate Leo's poster around Drogheda, I've seen about 20 of them like this.

Screen-Shot-2020-02-04-at-09.54.37.png

• Registered Users Posts: 9,176 ✭✭✭RobertFoster

If Leo is Batman does that make Micheál Martin the Joker? Simon Coveney is a little tall for Robin but I suppose he'll do. Helen McEntee is an obvious candidate for Batgirl, and Charlie Flanagan as Commissioner Gordon.

I can't think of any anyone from FF who'd be Micheál Martin's Harley Quinn. Mary Lou could be Catwoman. I initially thought of her as Poison Ivy but that role should go to Catherine Martin as a Green.

What I'm saying is, I want to see more politicians in spandex. Does the Dáil have a cape cloakroom?

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,602 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

• Registered Users Posts: 10,218 ✭✭✭✭Hurrache

Money? Dublin Bus as it is complain they're underfunded and can't provide a proper service to many areas. I can't see it as anything else as a sop to PR.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,901 ✭✭✭De Bhál

Drivers just driving and not having to deal with money from the public would be a start. Just get on the bus, tap card and tap card agsin when getting off. Time is wasted with people a asking how much the fare Is to somewhere.

Get on through front door and exit through middle doors. Most people don't seem to know about this.

• Advertisement

Very few actually use cash these days, and depending on the route, very few buses actually have a middle door. I was on one last week for the first time in months that had a middle door.

Hurrache wrote: »
    Very few actually use cash these days, and depending on the route, very few buses actually have a middle door. I was on one last week for the first time in months that had a middle door.

Good to know, haven't been on one in years and I'll have need to use them in the coming weeks when I'm down there for a work training course. Time to dust off the leap card. I always felt like a nuisance when on an unfamiliar route asking how much the fare was.

Is it still a thing with the 90 minute tickets (if they still exist)to hand them to someone getting on as you get off if there was time left on it? That was a big thing on the routes I used to use :D

Transfer 90s? Nah, that's built into the leap card.

Good to know, haven't been on one in years and I'll have need to use them in the coming weeks when I'm down there for a work training course. Time to dust off the leap card. I always felt like a nuisance when on an unfamiliar route asking how much the fare was.

Is it still a thing with the 90 minute tickets (if they still exist)to hand them to someone getting on as you get off if there was time left on it? That was a big thing on the routes I used to use :D

Ironically if you used cash you'd be quicker getting on with everyone queuing for the leap machine.

Snap on the travel 90 tickets. I used them way back in college when working and needed two buses, when you got off either end of your route you'd hand it over to another student looking person waiting.

Edit, just realised that the bus I'd get in the mornings has a flat fare which is why nobody interacts with the driver to tell them how many stages they're going, hence nobody queuing at his machine, they just tag on with the standalone validator.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,766 ✭✭✭✭tomasrojo

If a compromise solution between free and the current system were sought, perhaps you could have a flat daily/weekly/monthly/annual fee for something like a Leap card, pretty modest in cost, and it gives you unlimited public transport travel for that period. That way almost everyone could just wave the card at the validator getting on.

(I haven't thought this through at all. It's probably pretty wrong.)

Is the tax saver ticket still in place? If I recall that was off putting to some on lower incomes due to the upfront cost.

Yeah, it's still there. I think it can be done via salary deduction for a while now too, based on the emails I tend to ignore as I don't need one.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,098 ✭✭✭NamelessPhil

The arcane system of stages that bear absolutely no relation to actual stops does my head in. I've had different fares for the same journey depending on the humour if the bus driver.

They're a bit abstract alright.

I think there's a way to work out the number of stages by subtracting the smaller bus stop number from the larger, or something like that. It's not very convenient.

There's some number on the website that let's you do this trick, if it's not the bus stop number.

EDIT: I think there's a stage number written on the information on the bus stops, when there's a shelter.
    The number of stages travelled is calculated by deducting the boarding stage number from the alighting stage number

Passengers boarding between stage points pay the
    appropriate fare from the preceding stage point.

Passengers alighting between stage points pay the appropriate fare to the next stage point.

All route stages are listed under the timetables.
    https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=73910399&postcount=33

They did use to list the route stages somewhere on the information board, because I used to try to do this calcuation and it did work.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,602 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

Interesting visualisation on drivers focus...

https://twitter.com/DrivingChangeOU/status/1225069755276632064?s=19

tomasrojo wrote: »
    I think there's a way to work out the number of stages by subtracting the smaller bus stop number from the larger, or something like that. It's not very convenient.

There's some number on the website that let's you do this trick, if it's not the bus stop number.

EDIT: I think there's a stage number written on the information on the bus stops, when there's a shelter.

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=73910399&postcount=33

They did use to list the route stages somewhere on the information board, because I used to try to do this calcuation and it did work.

Some of the stages in some routes are so absurdly close to each other that you'd barely get up the road before going into the middle fare

Asking people to look up tiny numbers on a board and do mental subtraction isn't the best system either.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,381 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

Weepsie wrote: »
    Some of the stages in some routes are so absurdly close to each other that you'd barely get up the road before going into the middle fare
    I remember walking to a further bus stop and getting off earlier to save the bit of money when I was young. I also remember getting child tickets and "scholar" tickets a few years after I should have.

I used to be able to head into dublin city get something quick and use the transfer 90 to get home. But on some busy days it legitimately did take longer than 90mins when trying to get to the second bus, first bus slow and second delayed arriving.
    De Bhál wrote: »
    Drivers just driving and not having to deal with money from the public would be a start.
    If that 18s thing came in I wonder how it would work, will drivers have to be checking photo IDs or what? If they were issued cards people could borrow them so I guess only photo ID would work.

The leap 90 is good as it is not just bus-bus, luas-luas
    https://about.leapcard.ie/leap-90
    How does it work?
    The discount happens automatically on the applicable services when you use Travel Credit to pay for your trips. There is no need for you to do anything, the discount is automatic!

Eg: If someone makes a journey on Dublin Bus and travels on Luas within 90 minutes of using their TFI Leap Card on their first trip on Dublin Bus, they will receive an automatic Leap 90 discount for the Luas fare. The Leap 90 Discount will continue to apply if the user travels within 90 minutes of their last journey.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,098 ✭✭✭NamelessPhil

Looks as if we'll have a new Minister for Transport. Shane Ross is soon to be unelected.

The arcane system of stages that bear absolutely no relation to actual stops does my head in. I've had different fares for the same journey depending on the humour if the bus driver.
    i don't think it's the humour of the bus driver, they probably genuinely can't calculate it either.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 6,845 Mod ✭✭✭✭eeeee

Looks as if we'll have a new Minister for Transport. Shane Ross is soon to be unelected.

For a few months anyway...

• Registered Users Posts: 5,442 ✭✭✭LollipopJimmy

I was in the RDS today, a load of the hardy Greens cycled in. It was that bad I didn't want to drive at 8am this morning

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,801 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

eeeee wrote: »
    For a few months anyway...

Whats the minimum time to get a ministers pension, I imagine this will be the time cut off for this sitting of the Dail.

• Advertisement

CramCycle wrote: »
    Whats the minimum time to get a ministers pension, I imagine this will be the time cut off for this sitting of the Dail.

I thought he qualified for it about 2 years ago. Didn't think it was very long

Advertisement