Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

La Flamme Rouge **off topic discussion**

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,522 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

Some of his tweets are those of someone who is just angry at everything IMO but that's a good un

• Registered Users Posts: 1,814 ✭✭✭Large bottle small glass

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,450 ✭✭✭Harrybelafonte

Anyone know where I might eat a decent cheapest bike lock tomorrow?

• Registered Users Posts: 32,382 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

Anyone know where I might eat a decent cheapest bike lock tomorrow?

jaysus, are the supermarket shelves that bare!

How cheap are you talking? you might get a loan of one as people are not commuting. OnGuard brand are the best value IMO.

rubadub wrote: »
    jaysus, are the supermarket shelves that bare!

How cheap are you talking? you might get a loan of one as people are not commuting. OnGuard brand are the best value IMO.

Apologies for the typo. 20-30€ maybe. I’m giving someone a bike so they can get to work. So it’d be indoors at night but out doors during the day

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,446 ✭✭✭Ryath

https://www.halfords.ie/cycling/bike-accessories/bike-locks/341966.html

Pretty decent for the money I have a heavier duty mini version of it and an Kryptonite evolution. I prefer the abus it's better made, doesn't rattle, key is less fiddly and both side of the shackle lock so it would need to be cut twice.

I'd still get something better if it's in a high risk area or stick a second lock on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,442 ✭✭✭LollipopJimmy

Apologies for the typo. 20-30€ maybe. I’m giving someone a bike so they can get to work. So it’d be indoors at night but out doors during the day

If it's a temporary thing I can loan you a kryptonite fahgettaboudit and a shackle

Thanks all. Halfords link works as I need to get some paint repair kit for the car too. The fewer shops I go to the better.

Thanks for the offer of the lend, but I have a feeling this will become a permanent thing.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 6,848 Mod ✭✭✭✭eeeee

If anyone spots this gillet:
    506637.png

On this route:
    https://ridewithgps.com/routes/31005190

Let me know. I tied it onto my saddle in a rush heading out this morning, and as iI turned for the N81 all I saw was empty string :eek: :D I'm pretty sure it's gone forever.

Also thanks to the Orwellian who picked up my cap whilst I was heaving uphill and rode up to give it to me. Lege. (It fell out of my jersey pocket)

It was a tough day for kit!

• Registered Users Posts: 22 Strobing

Clocks changing soon, means you can get out in the evening for a longer spin if you're like me and stuck working from home most of the day!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,333 ✭✭✭secman

Strobing wrote: »
    Clocks changing soon, means you can get out in the evening for a longer spin if you're like me and stuck working from home most of the day!

Roll on Sat night ðŸ‘

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,946 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

I am just going to ask once, do people just wear gloves for no reason at the minute. The number of people who get out of their car wearing gloves, do their shop or whatever, touch their face, get back in their car and drive off. F*** me, you'd be safer with bare hands. If you have gloves, think about why you wear them and how they might benefit. If you wear them all day and never change them or take them off, then they are essentially the same as not wearing gloves in regards Covid 19. Rant over

• Registered Users Posts: 1,741 ✭✭✭brownian

CramCycle wrote: »
    I am just going to ask once, do people just wear gloves for no reason at the minute. The number of people who get out of their car wearing gloves, do their shop or whatever, touch their face, get back in their car and drive off. F*** me, you'd be safer with bare hands. If you have gloves, think about why you wear them and how they might benefit. If you wear them all day and never change them or take them off, then they are essentially the same as not wearing gloves in regards Covid 19. Rant over

I think some people wear gloves out of house, and take them off when inside.

I am sure people do touch their faces when wearing gloves, but I think they might do this less (and particularly keep fingers out of mouth/nose/elsewhere) when wearing gloves.

There is a great video I saw a few years back about how often we touch our faces , I think was about 15-20 times in an hour but they had them apply a harmless substance to their hands that showed up under UV so you can imagine the results after 4 or 5 hours.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,236 ✭✭✭Idleater

brownian wrote: »

I am sure people do touch their faces when wearing gloves, but I think they might do this less (and particularly keep fingers out of mouth/nose/elsewhere) when wearing gloves.
    I saw all of the above topped off with the lady picking the baby out of the car seat.

Also a guy talking on the phone while driving with gloves and a mask.

Doesn't work, gloves should be worn when going into situations where there is increased risk and removed before going back to the low risk area, wearing them at all times out of the house means you are a carrier or vector or whatevre term you want to use t, you carry it from the point you come in contact to evreywhere you go, including tyour own vehicle, until you get home again. It is a bad idea.
    Idleater wrote: »
    I saw all of the above topped off with the lady picking the baby out of the car seat.

Also a guy talking on the phone while driving with gloves and a mask.
    Passed by a funeral yesterday, everyone with blue gloves, everyone shoulder to shoulder giving hugs. Grief is powerful but the person in the ground is unlikely to have wanted anyone to have risked themselves getting ill.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,618 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

i have read - and wholeheartedly believe - that disposable gloves are a curse. if you have bare hands, you are conscious of that and wash them. with gloves on, hey, you're protected, and leave them on, and they become far worse than not having them at all.

Work in a lab and the stocks of latex and nitrile gloves are disappearing a lot faster than usual. I have a few boxes hidden away just in case.

Just on this, have taught students for years, the obsession younger people have with rubbing their faces like they are in a Herbal Essences advert once they put on gloves is incredible to watch, it's fascinating.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,171 ✭✭✭Rechuchote

i have read - and wholeheartedly believe - that disposable gloves are a curse. if you have bare hands, you are conscious of that and wash them. with gloves on, hey, you're protected, and leave them on, and they become far worse than not having them at all.

Probably true for most people, but healthcare workers are liable to have their hands so chapped that viruses would dive happily in as if they were entering an orifice.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,618 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

true, but healthcare workers probably know how to use them properly.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,995 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

red_ken wrote: »
    Work in a lab and the stocks of latex and nitrile gloves are disappearing a lot faster than usual. I have a few boxes hidden away just in case.
    You do realise that by hiding a few boxes is contributing to the depletion of stock as others are probably doing the same. It no different from those who are stockpiling food from supermarkets leaving empty shelves for others.

what are the standards on gloves? i have a nearly full box of gloves bought in halfords, for dirty bike maintenance, i suspect there's no point in waving down a passing nurse and saying to him/her 'here, you need these more than i do'?
    especially as the box has been sitting opened in the garage for several months.

In my experience, the quality differs among the brands and the brand is usually dictated by price I presume. Some feel thick while others tear very easily. They usually say 'power free, latex free, non-sterile' on the box and they have the CE mark and a few others. Size is often a problem as people often order small and medium forgetting that some of us require L or XL. I can squeeze into mediums but the chances of tearing greatly increase.

i've torn these a couple of times while wrestling with jockey wheels and the like, when they pinch.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,769 ✭✭✭✭tomasrojo

This might be good. Bike Show interview with Ian "close passes" Walker:
    http://feedproxy.google.com/~r/TheBikeShow/~3/roM8izrfqm4/

If stats and psychology aren't your thing, he also cycles incredibly long distances and does ultra-running.

EDIT: Yes, it is very good.

i've torn these a couple of times while wrestling with jockey wheels and the like, when they pinch.
    They also get brittle if stored in a cold environment such as an unheated shed.

You do realise that by hiding a few boxes is contributing to the depletion of stock as others are probably doing the same. It no different from those who are stockpiling food from supermarkets leaving empty shelves for others.

Ok, I understand your point but it's not as if I'm stockpiling for home use or to go to the supermarket. There's still a whole other world of non-Corona sicknesses/diseases that need supporting.
    Handling corrosives or harmful chemicals without ppe is still a no go, the ultra strict health and safety applies as always. I'm just trying to keep them out of the hands of people who don't need them for their function within the plant.
    In the milling dept there's a few worried line staff claiming their dust masks and refills have been pillaged.

red_ken wrote: »
    Ok, I understand your point but it's not as if I'm stockpiling for home use or to go to the supermarket. There's still a whole other world of non-Corona sicknesses/diseases that need supporting.
    Handling corrosives or harmful chemicals without ppe is still a no go, the ultra strict health and safety applies as always. I'm just trying to keep them out of the hands of people who don't need them for their function within the plant.
    In the milling dept there's a few worried line staff claiming their dust masks and refills have been pillaged.
    Yes, I take your points. I'm in the same position at work with stuff being pillaged - especially hand sanitisers, gloves and toilet paper. Our use of paper towels and liquid soap has increased four fold as people are washing their hands a lot more often. The problem now is that it's going to be difficult to replenish these as suppliers are running out.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 221 ✭✭BrianHenryIE

CramCycle wrote: »
    D...wearing them at all times out of the house means you are a carrier or vector or whatevre term you want to use t, you carry it from the point you come in contact to evreywhere you go, including your own vehicle, until you get home again. It is a bad idea.

No worse than being outside and not washing your hands?

I imagine there is a correlation between those who wear gloves and those who disinfect surfaces.

Advertisement