Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

La Flamme Rouge **off topic discussion**

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,769 ✭✭✭✭tomasrojo

They also get brittle if stored in a cold environment such as an unheated shed.

And if you play classical or flamenco guitar, your thumb nail rips through them within a few minutes. This is a minority problem, I think. (Long nails for men, anyway.)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,171 ✭✭✭Rechuchote

At least there seems to be a new awareness of the stupidity of wearing your germy scrubs when you leave the hospital, or your fresh scrubs as you pass through the germy world to get to the hospital.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,382 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

CramCycle wrote: »
    Just on this, have taught students for years, the obsession younger people have with rubbing their faces like they are in a Herbal Essences advert once they put on gloves is incredible to watch, it's fascinating.
    I think the point still stands. I imagine those students touching their face would have been doing so when the gloves go on initially, I doubt they are still purposely doing it as much when contaminated.

In my work I wear gloves mainly for handling stuff coated in a highly dangerous acid. I am far more conscious of not touching my face when wearing them, serves as a good reminder. I do not like the feel of the gloves even if freshly on, I would tend to rub my face with my shoulder or forearm if I have an itch.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,945 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

No worse than being outside and not washing your hands?

I imagine there is a correlation between those who wear gloves and those who disinfect surfaces.

Youd hope so but doesn't look that way, if your wearing them for Covid 19 or similar, theyn you should still be washing/sanitising your hands with the gloves on as you go around the place.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,851 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,618 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

• Registered Users Posts: 284 ✭✭Acquiescence

My bike has been out of commission for two months at this stage, between having an injury, waiting for components and now waiting for it to be diagnosed/fixed.

God knows when I'll get it back at this stage. I know it's a non-issue in the wider scheme of things but you really would miss it.

I nearly bought an MTB about 6 weeks ago. I'm sorry I didn't now.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,618 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

anyone know what road this is?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,945 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

Watched a car turn across the LUAS on Ballyogan road yesterday, had a red filter, took the turn, don't think it even noticed the LUAS stopping to let them go. LUAS driver loooked at me and I just facepalmed, he just wagged his head. I suspect this was not an unusual occurance on this road

What is the bright object in the western sky the last few nights? To the right and below the moon. Satellite?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,799 ✭✭✭MiskyBoyy

What is the bright object in the western sky the last few nights? To the right and below the moon. Satellite?

Venus

Edit: You can see the space station fly across the sky for 2 mins tomorrow night @10:21 too

https://spotthestation.nasa.gov/sightings/view.cfm?country=Ireland&region=None&city=Dublin

Wow, Venus really? It's incredibly bright and much bigger than I'd have imagined with the naked eye. In my googling I came across the SpaceX starlink train that was visible in some places. I'd have pooped had I seen that lol :eek:

it's the closest planet to us* and if the angle of the sun is correct, there's nothing bar the moon which can rival it for brightness.

*no planet gets closer to us, but on average, mercury is the closest planet IIRC.

Yeah, I seem to remember More or Less on BBC radio looked into this, and on average Mercury is the closest planet to the Earth. Which is quite surprising, as it's never the actual nearest, but it doesn't end up as far away as Mars and Venus either

EDIT: I think this was the show:
    https://www.bbc.com/programmes/m0001y9p

that's precisely where i learned that fact.

tomasrojo wrote: »
    as it's never the actual nearest
    ah, it has to be occasionally. when mars and venus are the other side of the sun from us, for example. though i may be forgetting some detail from the program mentioned above.

ah, it has to be occasionally. when mars and venus are the other side of the sun from us, for example. though i may be forgetting some detail from the program mentioned above.

Oh yeah! Good point!

speaking of which, what mnemonic is taught to kids these days?
    'my very educated mother just showed us nine' doesn't really work that well.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,851 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

Woo-hoo it's over. We'll all be back oout on our bikes again shortly because apparently they've somehow managed to eradicate it in America: https://twitter.com/theJeremyVine/status/1244579281331773441

speaking of which, what mnemonic is taught to kids these days?
    'my very educated mother just showed us nine' doesn't really work that well.

It's not mine, but there is:
    My Very Easy Memory Jingle Seems Useless Now

• Advertisement

My Very Expensive Merida Just Seems Unnecessary Now

winner.

i was half tempted to try running but i've no footwear suitable. so i went out and dug in the garden instead.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,081 ✭✭✭buffalo

i was half tempted to try running but i've no footwear suitable. so i went out and dug in the garden instead.

I've been alternating - if it's a bit cooler, I go for a run. If it's sunny and warmer, I dig the garden. I've dug up about half of the lawn now... what do I do when I finish that?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,332 ✭✭✭secman

buffalo wrote: »
    I've been alternating - if it's a bit cooler, I go for a run. If it's sunny and warmer, I dig the garden. I've dug up about half of the lawn now... what do I do when I finish that?

Buffalo morphing into a Mole is one of the strange consequences of the Covid 19 virus ......

buffalo wrote: »
    dig a pond. best thing you can do for wildlife in your garden.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,205 ✭✭✭a148pro

dig a pond. best thing you can do for wildlife in your garden.

Is this easy, as I really want to do it, I have frogs occasionally and would love if they started spawning in it - any tips? My worry is the water will stagnate without some kind of filter / drainage / electricity for that?

a148pro wrote: »
    Is this easy, as I really want to do it, I have frogs occasionally and would love if they started spawning in it - any tips? My worry is the water will stagnate without some kind of filter / drainage / electricity for that?
    easy to dig; you need to make three main considerations; 'shelves', to allow for placing of pond plants, a shallow sloping ramp at one side to allow animals to climb in and out, and depth - usually two feet or more, in case of a harsh cold snap, so it doesn't completely freeze.

main issue is that i don't know if any of the suppliers of pond lining are open - we got ours in pond hobby in north county dublin, but there's a place down near blessington which i heard may still be open.

this is one i dug in september - i think the liner cost less that 100 quid - it was an offcut of butyl liner from a much larger job, yer man in pond hobby often stocks them.

508052.jpg

508053.jpg

508054.jpg

he also sells rigid liners in pond hobby, but they're much more faff to dig - as the hole has to conform to the contours of the liner, rather than just letting the water shape the butyl or PVC liner to the hole.

regarding a pump - if you've got some oxygenating plants in the pond, shouldn't be an issue - you don't want fish in the pond if you want it to be a wildlife pond, and it's the constant addition of fish food (and thus fish ****) which causes algal blooms in fish ponds, AFAIK.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,205 ✭✭✭a148pro

That looks great well done

Advertisement