Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

La Flamme Rouge **off topic discussion**

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,618 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,850 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 6,848 Mod ✭✭✭✭eeeee

:rolleyes:

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,618 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

that looks like someone saw the famous peleton ad and thought 'hold my beer'.

I got a smile out of that :o

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,769 ✭✭✭✭tomasrojo

Was the tune "Comment te dire adieu"? Saying goodbye to his trousers, I suppose.

That reminds me of my occasional thought that the people who make those trousers should do a collabo with the people who make rain trousers.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,232 ✭✭✭✭Hurrache

I've been out and about a lot as both one of those horrible runners pushing people off footpads (sic), and as a cyclist spreading plumes of plague with the kids. I've even driven to collect shopping.

I've really been struck by the amount of people out cycling, of all sorts. It's great to see and I was discussing with my wife if when things start to get back to 'normal' how great it would be to still see those numbers.

Our local village, bit of a rat run during the rush hours, has never seen so many family groups out cycling, and my usual back lanes I use have got so busy with them too.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,484 ✭✭✭manafana

2nd how great its been to see people out with their kids cycling bikes especially when they get to use the road to do so. I fear this could all end very soon as we return to carmageddon.

Yeah, it's an unfortunate inevitably. My son only learned to ride during the lockdown and he knows no better when it comes to what the local roads will really be like.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,098 ✭✭✭NamelessPhil

I'll be heading out today with my daughter on day one of a charity fundraiser for the DSPCA. She'll be doing 111km in 11 days before her 11th birthday. She can't have a party with her friends so we're putting the time to good use.

We'll be observing the government's exercise limits. There's a GoFundMe page.
    https://www.gofundme.com/f/dspca-111km-in-11-days-for-my-11th-birthday

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,941 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

I'll be heading out today with my daughter on day one of a charity fundraiser for the DSPCA. She'll be doing 111km in 11 days before her 11th birthday. She can't have a party with her friends so we're putting the time to good use.

We'll be observing the government's exercise limits. There's a GoFundMe page.

Can you pop up a link to the gofundme page?

CramCycle wrote: »
    Can you pop up a link to the gofundme page?

Sure! I wasn't sure if it was allowed.
    https://www.gofundme.com/f/dspca-111km-in-11-days-for-my-11th-birthday

• Registered Users Posts: 8,138 ✭✭✭dinneenp

Hi,
    Is there any thread for 'bargains'? Where people can post bargains that they've seen somewhere?

Thanks,
    Pa.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,192 ✭✭✭RobertFoster

dinneenp wrote: »
    Hi,
    Is there any thread for 'bargains'? Where people can post bargains that they've seen somewhere?

Thanks,
    Pa.
    Bargain Alerts - THE MEGATHREAD!!! - DON!! DON!!! DONNNNN!!!!

Bollards now segregating the cycle track in Ranelagh that runs past the SuperValu:
    https://twitter.com/IBIKEDublin/status/1258343095885860866

Wonder how SuperValu will take this. They used to cone it off to reserve it for their delivery trucks. Wonder whether they'll mount the pavement so they can keep unloading there.

EDIT: Actually, looking at the metal bollards there: mounting the pavement doesn't seem an option. I won't speculate any further.

How long until they are run over? At the moment, the delivery truck will have to park on road or in the spaces across the road. I won't be shedding a tear considering how they forced a pinch point for so many for so long.

How long until they are run over? At the moment, the delivery truck will have to park on road or in the spaces across the road. I won't be shedding a tear considering how they forced a pinch point for so many for so long.

I've never been clear whether they ever had an official place designated for unloading.

Running over the bollards deliberately to clear a space was where my speculation stopped short.

tomasrojo wrote: »
    I've never been clear whether they ever had an official place designated for unloading.

Running over the bollards deliberately to clear a space was where my speculation stopped short.

The don't have one that can deal with a large delivery truck. Only small ones could get around the back. Only place I can see is across the road in the car park spaces and wheel deliveries across the road.

The don't have one that can deal with a large delivery truck. Only small ones could get around the back. Only place I can see is across the road in the car park spaces and wheel deliveries across the road.

Or, and apologies for forgetting this, they have deliveries on the road outside of peak hours, ie between 5am and 7am and after 7pm

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,773 ✭✭✭✭keane2097

Isn't there a carpark behind that Supervalu? Can the trucks not fit under the arch? It looks fairly tall.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,850 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

Bicycle theft has gotten so bad now that you can't even pop into a take away for a moment to try and rob the place...

https://twitter.com/Ui_Maine/status/1257767952310505474

• Registered Users Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭Eamonnator

How's your daughter doing?

Eamonnator wrote: »
    How's your daughter doing?

Grand! Send ice-cream. We've cycled 24km so far across two days. She needs a minimum of 10.1km per day. I wanted the cycle to be achievable across many days as part of her regular activity. She'd be out anyway and I thought that we might as well make it count.

It's great that so many people have been so generous. I'm aware that this is a hard time for many people.

Tell your friends.

https://twitter.com/ArranBolger/status/1258507934574641152

this is the best response i've found below the above tweet:

https://twitter.com/carsowntheroad/status/1258558372506411008

Westland Row getting the orcas put down this morning, Gardai amongst the worse offenders on that particular street living up to the stereotype when getting coffee and donuts.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,977 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

Hurrache wrote: »
    Westland Row getting the orcas put down this morning, Gardai amongst the worse offenders on that particular street living up to the stereotype when getting coffee and donuts.

that is great news - fair play to DCC (at last).
    Presumably it will be made a 24 hour cycle lane too?

• Advertisement

Yeah, I think it would have to as, not discounting the stupidity of many city drivers when it comes to parking in places they obviously shouldn't, it should be impossible for motorised vehicles to get in there. A motorised vehicle lane has also been removed from Grattan Bridge and cycle lanes put down in each direction, hopefully will also get the orcas.

With the new quays lane it looks like I'll be returning to using the north quays again to get into the city.

Advertisement