Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

La Flamme Rouge **off topic discussion**

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

Was just out there for a little cycle around the block.

Met about 20 other cyclists on their road machines, singles and in groups of up to three. Birds singing, beautiful weather, good mood, waved hello to them all ...not a single wave back ...too bloody aero to even lift a finger off the handle bar.

Now, I was on a touring bike, in jeans and street shoes, with a health and safety mandated yellow flak jacket...and to add insult to injury, my bike also has a battery and a motor ...but still ...not a single wave?

IMO you "proper cyclists" really are an elitish, clannish, self-absorbed bunch of bulges in lycra. Ye really do deserve every bit of stick you're getting outside of this forum. :D

No offence meant, no real offence taken (I'm a big boy, I can live with being ignored) ...but food for thought maybe?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,617 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

your socks must have been the wrong length.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,788 ✭✭✭✭dahat

Maybe your high viz top wasn't up to scratch?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,617 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

to be fair, i'm not used to getting waves at all from non-lycra clad cyclists, except maybe out on country roads.

dahat wrote: »
    Maybe your high viz top wasn't up to scratch?

It certainly wasn't.
    It's a 3.99 yoke from Lidl that doesn't fit and flaps in the wind like flag :D

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,847 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,941 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

I really thought that painting was going somewhere else in the early stages

Phil doing what he does this time Everesting, interesting in bits he's still thinking like a pro.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,252 ✭✭✭CantGetNoSleep

I sold a bike two weeks ago. It was a bike I had built up myself from new (not an expert in this by any means) and all parts were bought from new in random places aside from the wheels and Cannondale Hollowgram chainset (I bought this from eBay where it said it had done 200km). I had only used the bike for around 50km and decided I wanted something different.

The shifting was not working properly - I couldn't fully index the front derailleur even after bringing it to a friend who is a part time bike mechanic and was getting a lot of chainrub and the chain would drop if i moved it enough to stop the rub.

All of the above was mentioned in the ad (aside from the fact that the chainset came from eBay), but I did say that it wasn't put on new and had about 200km. I told the buyer that it may need to be taken to a bike shop as I couldn't get it perfectly indexed and wasn't sure if he could anyway, and he had a short test ride including a small hill to test gears.

The buyer contacted me yesterday to say the crank is bent (it seems he means chainrings) and this is why it wouldn't index. Having checked with the friend who worked on it, he thinks it is a spacer missing on the non-drive side crank arm causing a bit of sideways movement when the crank rotates but isn't certain that the buyer is wrong (the buyer does seem genuine btw - I don't think he is lying but also don't know if he is correct).

I've suggested that he first tries the spacer (should be done in 5 mins at a Cannondale dealer) or takes it to a bike shop to verify where there might be a problem with the chainset (crank arms, spindle, chainrings) & said I will give 100€ towards the cost of replacing whatever needs to be replaced (a full new chainset is above 300€ but he could also fit Ultegra with an adapter or a grade below Cannondale). He isn't happy with this as all bike shops around us are full at the moment (this is true).

I've also offered to pay half the cost of new chainrings without a bike shop check and sent a link to a brand new (taken off new bike) Cannondale full chainset for sale on a second hand site that is one grade below what is on it but would probably be the easiest fix mechanically if there is any sort of issue).

He wants me to take the bike back as he doesn't want the hassle of a fix or to wait (although the bike is usable with some annoying chainrub). It will probably require a bike shop trip at some point to either swap chainrings or swap out the chainset entirely if he doesn't have the tools.

I'm not minded to give this as I think I was as honest as possible in the original description, I told him when selling it that it might need a visit to a bike shop as I couldn't get it indexed, I've offered to cover half or more of the cost of parts for what he thinks is needed to fix it, and two weeks have passed since I sold it. I don't think he caused the issue in a crash etc but who knows how many miles it has done in that time.

If I hadn't mentioned any problem at all at the time of sale, or if it was the day before I may see it otherwise. Legally I could probably tell him to fcuk off and if he starts to annoy me I will but I'd prefer to do the fairest thing in the circumstances.

Am I being unreasonable? (all thoughts appreciated and sorry for the long post).

• Registered Users Posts: 8,005 ✭✭✭cletus

It was a private sale, you were up front about the the issue. Combination of caveat emptor and buyers remorse. You've offered him some cash as a goodwill gesture, after that, tell him to fück off, and block his number

• Advertisement

• Registered Users Posts: 18,422 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

well god bless cycling, I was doing some interval running and stained my hamstring last week , and thought fck it Ill have to rest it for a week, even walking was going to hurt. let it rest for a day and thought I'd see how a cycle would work, and it was fine, only hurt if I put my leg out to stop the bike. Was thinking though does it mean cyclists would have weak hamstring muscles?

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,941 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

Its buyers remorse, nothing more, you have probably went above and beyond at this point. You'd have noticed a bent chainring. You have given plenty of recommendations, far to generous with your offer. I have said it to some people here if they didn't like what I sold, I'd take it back within a fortnight, but for the most part, once I didn't mislead, I would be saying no to him. If anything is bent, and he hadn't taken ti to get looked over like you recommended, it could just as easily been him.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,123 ✭✭✭daragh_

peasant wrote: »

Met about 20 other cyclists on their road machines, singles and in groups of up to three. Birds singing, beautiful weather, good mood, waved hello to them all ...not a single wave back ...too bloody aero to even lift a finger off the handle bar.

Now, I was on a touring bike, in jeans and street shoes, with a health and safety mandated yellow flak jacket...and to add insult to injury, my bike also has a battery and a motor ...but still ...not a single wave?

IMO you "proper cyclists" really are an elitish, clannish, self-absorbed bunch of bulges in lycra. Ye really do deserve every bit of stick you're getting outside of this forum. :D

No offence meant, no real offence taken (I'm a big boy, I can live with being ignored) ...but food for thought maybe?

Just out of interest where were you cycling?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,252 ✭✭✭CantGetNoSleep

Thanks for the replies - in line with what I was thinking. I did notice that there was possibly a spacer missing and may not have mentioned this (being such a simple fix) but was very clear that I couldn't get the gear indexing sorted and it might need to visit a bike shop (and this was reflected in the price tbh). I didn't notice any bent chainring but I'm not certain it wasn't the cause of the problem.

What annoyed me was that when we agreed on my offer to reimburse half the cost of the new chainrings (but that it was something I was doing as a gesture not an obligation and then not responsible for anything else if that is not the problem - given that he wasn't willing to get it checked at a shop beforehand), he says he will be in touch again when proceeding.

daragh_ wrote: »
    Just out of interest where were you cycling?

Country and side roads in and out of Sligo town.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭Eamonnator

Country and side roads in and out of Sligo town.

Aahh, that explains it, they're not Normal People down there.

Eamonnator wrote: »
    Aahh, that explains it, they're not Normal People down there.

Jesus, I hope you haven't got a heart condition if you're planning on watching it this week :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,918 ✭✭✭De Bhál

https://www.facebook.com/watch/?v=1432458893607097

I love this and wish there was a follow up to see what happened when they got back to the car.

nigel definitely is one of the best things about GCN these days; proof he is, while he's casually reading the examiner (26:40 in)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=751MfbHGlew

• Advertisement

Is it King Kelly's gaff they are living in? Looks like a really nice house.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 6,848 Mod ✭✭✭✭eeeee

I've heard that Sean Kelly and Stacey don't speak, and he's never met their child, so I don't think so. Maybe Stacey's mum's homeplace? Or her mum and SK's pre split homeplace?
    Looks like really good land around it anyway.

Jaysus families eh?

Well holy God I didn't cop who Nigel was till now.

Prince Kelly ? :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,484 ✭✭✭manafana

I rarely watch GCN as find its mostly waffle and presenters arn't what it was. Interesting to see young Kelly.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,813 ✭✭✭Large bottle small glass

eeeee wrote: »
    Looks like really good land around it anyway.

It's in the blood with you.

If Kelly keep it up he'll be able to match Michael Collins father in another decade

i'm obviously showing my ignorance of nigel kelly here, but is it a coincidence that he was reading the examiner in the video?

https://www.irishexaminer.com/breakingnews/sport/dunne-ive-had-carpet-ripped-from-under-my-feet-865487.html

• Registered Users Posts: 24,995 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

My experience is the complete opposite. I usually give a little salute or nod to any other cyclist I meet. The only ones who ever respond are other club type lycra clad cyclists. None of the many occasional type cyclists out lately make any attempt to respond. Some even stare at me as if I've 3 heads.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,422 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

Basically been told we wont be back in the office until Sep. Mad cycling gains ahead hopefully!

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

Advertisement