Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

La Flamme Rouge **off topic discussion**

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,854 ✭✭✭Rogue-Trooper

Have started Zwifting (I know, late to the party as always).

You can adjust your sock height on it.

Fan. Tastic.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,846 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

• Closed Accounts Posts: 794 ✭✭✭Biker79

Blocking bike lines is unavoidable in certain situations, for certain types of work - AGS included.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,232 ✭✭✭✭Hurrache

I think the point is that this is a media stunt to highlight the relatively high number of deaths, and yet subconsciously show it's ok to park in the cycle lanes.

As it is they've one lane of traffic blocked anyway so no need to completely block the cycle lanes.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,975 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

Biker79 wrote: »
    Blocking bike lines is unavoidable in certain situations, for certain types of work - AGS included.

they could easily have parked without blocking the cycle lane. They don't even think about it.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,940 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

Biker79 wrote: »

Just to clarify, having commuted in and out of work by bike since this began, the majority of Garda Checkpoints have not had to block bike lanes, in fact only one did and they had a space for bikes for stopping in the bus lane. I think they only done it as they couldn't cover the bike and traffic lane.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,400 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

peasant wrote: »
    Was just out there for a little cycle around the block.

Met about 20 other cyclists on their road machines, singles and in groups of up to three. Birds singing, beautiful weather, good mood, waved hello to them all ...not a single wave back ...too bloody aero to even lift a finger off the handle bar.

Now, I was on a touring bike, in jeans and street shoes, with a health and safety mandated yellow flak jacket...and to add insult to injury, my bike also has a battery and a motor ...but still ...not a single wave?

ah I think I know what's happened is you met that breed of cyclists who believe that any more strength in your arms than what you need to hold your body off the bars is superfluous. hence they wouldn't have had the strength to wave back :D:D

CramCycle wrote: »
    Just to clarify, having commuted in and out of work by bike since this began, the majority of Garda Checkpoints have not had to block bike lanes, in fact only one did and they had a space for bikes for stopping in the bus lane. I think they only done it as they couldn't cover the bike and traffic lane.

My point is they aren't being as careless/ thoughtless, as the social media poster is implying.

Looks like the Kylemore Road. Don't think there is much choice there, but to take the full width of the road to safely set up a checkpoint. From the looks of that photo.

I must be one of the few cyclists in Dublin who isn't bothered by people doing their jobs.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,617 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

cycled past glasnevin cemetery earlier. about 20 cars parked half in the bus lane/half on the bike path on the inbound side of the finglas road. a couple of hundred metres further on, there were two dozen free parking bays opposite the main entrance.

• Registered Users Posts: 569 ✭✭✭Peter T

Well its a road checkpoint, for road users including bikes. Dont block it and you'll have the opposite side of the argument commenting why would cyclists be exempt. Cant keep everyone happy

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,450 ✭✭✭Harrybelafonte

cycled past glasnevin cemetery earlier. about 20 cars parked half in the bus lane/half on the bike path on the inbound side of the finglas road. a couple of hundred metres further on, there were two dozen free parking bays opposite the main entrance.

Always the way there. Or they fill the housing estate and block access.

Peter T wrote: »
    why would cyclists be exempt. Cant keep everyone happy

Exempt from what though? The impression the reporter is given is that it's road safety enforcement as opposed to anything to do with Covid-19. I wouldn't argue against it, but I doubt there's a garda checking brakes.

It's just a poor and contradictory image based on the subject matter.

• Registered Users Posts: 569 ✭✭✭Peter T

Hurrache wrote: »
    Exempt from what though? The impression the reporter is given is that it's road safety enforcement as opposed to anything to do with Covid-19. I wouldn't argue against it, but I doubt there's a garda checking brakes.

It's just a poor and contradictory image based on the subject matter.

You're right, I was after posting and remembered that not all checkpoints are covid related these days :D

Clickbait for the outrage brigade.

It's a non story, cars are slowed and stopped, most will have merged together well in advance of the checkpoint and travelling at walking speed. Safe for a bike to look, move out and go through (or stop) if requested. It's not like a lorry blocking it cars plough on by at 80kmph withou giving any space.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,617 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

they're also blocking the road itself. unless you're allowed drive through the gardai in the photo.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,484 ✭✭✭manafana

My experience is the complete opposite. I usually give a little salute or nod to any other cyclist I meet. The only ones who ever respond are other club type lycra clad cyclists. None of the many occasional type cyclists out lately make any attempt to respond. Some even stare at me as if I've 3 heads.

i get all sort of encounters some ped's will give nod, some kids like a wave, if its quiet il acknowledge anyone, if its busy i focus on my fellow roadies

CramCycle wrote: »
    It's a non story, cars are slowed and stopped, most will have merged together well in advance of the checkpoint and travelling at walking speed. Safe for a bike to look, move out and go through (or stop) if requested. It's not like a lorry blocking it cars plough on by at 80kmph withou giving any space.

It's the optics given the subject. Wouldn't bother me other than think it's a bit dumb to use as PR exercise.

two gardai cycled past the house about an hour ago; the noise of them caught my ear, one of them was cycling along quite happily on a completely flat rear tyre.
    i am disgusted, outraged, and shocked that a garda can't fix a puncture on his bike.

also, somehow my brain managed to drag up an old memory when i was standing on the roof of the garage doing DIY earlier.
    many years ago, my folks took us out to the BMX track at marlay park for the afternoon, and i remember a woman with her young kids on their bikes, probably learning to ride.
    on the way home, either my mum or dad mentioned that they were fairly sure it was lydia roche. i have my dad under instructions to find the photos, because i think he did take some that day. whether a young nicolas roche can be seen learning to ride in the background of the photos, is a *long* shot. would be nice though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,995 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

......i am disgusted, outraged, and shocked that a garda can't fix a puncture on his bike.
    From my experience of the public service, he probably can but isn't permitted. We are not allowed to put on a spare wheel in our work vehicles. They have to be towed away by a recovery company to the contracted garage. Even if a wiper blade requires replacing, the vehicle is towed away to the garage. The rational is the 'compo culture' society.

From my experience of the public service, he probably can but isn't permitted. We are not allowed to put on a spare wheel in our work vehicles. They have to be towed away by a recovery company to the contracted garage. Even if a wiper blade requires replacing, the vehicle is towed away to the garage. The rational is the 'compo culture' society.
    Same here, they actually removed the spare, and tools, you have to call it in and they come out to you. Logic is someone doing it wrong is more dangerous.

I've seen that in the private sector too in my last job. Part me is shaking my head and rubbing my temples in disbelief and the other part is nodding knowingly.

From my experience of the public service, he probably can but isn't permitted.
    ah yeah, i expected that; he was about a five minute cycle from the nearest garda station and would have been quicker swapping the bike up there and letting someone else fix it, than doing it himself. the rim might have been shot after that too though.

ah yeah, i expected that; he was about a five minute cycle from the nearest garda station and would have been quicker swapping the bike up there and letting someone else fix it, than doing it himself. the rim might have been shot after that too though.

gardai bikes are pieces of crap compared to how they equip cars.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,005 ✭✭✭cletus

manafana wrote: »
    gardai bikes are pieces of crap compared to how they equip cars.

That raises an interesting question. What bike, do posters here feel, would be the best bike for Gardai to be equipped with?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,688 ✭✭✭MojoMaker

The way this forum is going, clearly a gravel bike :pac:

a maxed out e-bike?

MojoMaker wrote: »
    The way this forum is going, clearly a gravel bike :pac:

CX bike with proper training on how to shoulder the bike in a chase

• Advertisement

cletus wrote: »
    That raises an interesting question. What bike, do posters here feel, would be the best bike for Gardai to be equipped with?

Just stuff like having lighter frames, tubeless Tyre setups, security features, they are pretty basic at the moment.

Advertisement