Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

La Flamme Rouge **off topic discussion**

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,617 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

never know, maybe there's an 80s style cop drama involving a grizzled cop and his weapon laden bicycle, a little along the lines of street hawk, to be made.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,005 ✭✭✭cletus

manafana wrote: »
    Just stuff like having lighter frames, tubeless Tyre setups, security features, they are pretty basic at the moment.

I honestly don't know what they have at the moment. I tried looking it up, but there's no info. I asked here before, and the answer I got was, essentially, basic bikes.

The only thing that turns up online is the stupid article about €72,000 for shorts with Italian padding

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,617 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

there's a claim made on the garda fleet wikipedia page, that they're Giant bikes, but that's based on a tenuous evening herald story about a garda bike being stolen, but they also mention the bike was a black one.
    possibly a bait bike rather than an actual garda bike.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,484 ✭✭✭manafana

the other irony, the gardai have all manner of allowances doled out, but none that i know of covering gardai who cycle while on duty.

Baffling considering the cost saving to the force compared to having a car on the road,

• Registered Users Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭Eamonnator

When I when to my first station in 1975, I got a Bicycle Allowance. I can't remember how much it was. I got it until I got into the Traffic Corps in 1978.
    As an aside, a while before I left that station, my bicycle was taken from the Garda Station.

• Advertisement

stolen, or reallocated?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭Eamonnator

stolen, or reallocated?

Former, I regret to say.
    It was my personal bike, a black High Nelly with a spring loaded saddle. this was long before marked Garda bikes.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,943 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

Interesting locking technique for a 2k bike outside Tesco Bray earlier, still there when I was leaving 20 minutes later:

LOZoOlq.jpg

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,940 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

Thargor wrote: »
    Interesting locking technique for a 2k bike outside Tesco Bray earlier, still there when I was leaving 20 minutes later:

I seen the text and rushed onto check it wasn't my bike. I imagine the fact that itr doesn't look like a 2k bike to a scumbag, they will probably get away with it.

I am thoroughly enjoying the reaction to this tweet.

https://twitter.com/jamieheaslip/status/1266016429008134144

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,232 ✭✭✭✭Hurrache

Not the first time a tweet went horribly wrong for him.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,450 ✭✭✭Harrybelafonte

Latest one from Hambini dealing with BB's. I love this stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,688 ✭✭✭MojoMaker

"The average frame costs €60 to make in the far east".

• Registered Users Posts: 14,975 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

that is nuts, at least put the lock through the wheel to give the thief something to do.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,854 ✭✭✭Rogue-Trooper

Lost about 20 years of my life yesterday evening. Had the 'good bike' on a Saris Solo rack on the back of the car and got stopped at the lights at Guild Street/Mayor Street Luas bridge. There were about 30-40 'youths' all over the road (lots of them were jumping into the canal there) and when I stopped a bunch of them became very interested in the bike and I could see they were trying to figure out how to remove it:mad: I was stuck though as there were peds everywhere and traffic crossing in front of me. Mercifully the lights eventually changed and I got the hell out of there, shaking like a leaf!:(

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,846 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

manafana wrote: »
    gardai bikes are pieces of crap compared to how they equip cars.
    cletus wrote: »
    I honestly don't know what they have at the moment. I tried looking it up, but there's no info. I asked here before, and the answer I got was, essentially, basic bikes.
    I met a garda on a bike this morning at a set of red lights in Leixlip and decided to ask him.
    Apparently garda bikes are "the cheapest they can find" and are characterised as being "hard work" to the point that they are "often passed by grannies".
    Obviously public money well spent :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,236 ✭✭✭Idleater

There was a stand like that put up by sdcc near Woodies on the n4 beside some bike lockers, it lasted a few years before being broken.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 794 ✭✭✭Biker79

Is there anybody even remotely likeable on Twitter anymore?

• Advertisement

both dara o'briain and david o'doherty replied to one of my tweets the other day so of *course* i'm going to say they're likable.

and the latter is into his 80s bikes too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 794 ✭✭✭Biker79

' This is great to see and should be encouraged all over Dublin.
    @dublincycling '

May as well say ' Please please help an old lady across the road ' ( and please bathe me in likes and retweets for saying something trite and meaningless )

Do any of these people actually DO anything useful?

to judge DCC on their twitter feed would be a mistake. you should head along to a meeting, whenever they might start again.
    but we're weirdly in a situation that a lot of their aims have happened, almost by accident.

Heard Tony Holohan mention on the news during the press briefing that he cycles home from work along the canal.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,511 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

They have those stands in UCD in front of the Library. Also have them In Aberystwth in wales, and it's a super hilly town, so on loads of the stairs, they have rails to wheel bikes down as you walk.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,943 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

CramCycle wrote: »
    I seen the text and rushed onto check it wasn't my bike. I imagine the fact that itr doesn't look like a 2k bike to a scumbag, they will probably get away with it.
    What bike thief in this country isnt going to know know that e-bike=€€€ though?

On a nice news story, one of our neighbours dropped over lettuce they were growing in their garden and another neighbour dropped in a pile of Chinese Pears. Not for any reason other than they had some and thought it was nice to share. Despite the public today, this made me reconsider my general dislike of humanity

What bike thief in this country isnt going to know know that e-bike=€€€ though?
    You think the typical low level opportunistic scum looks like a bike the way we do. While some are intelligent, most look at whether it's shiny or sexy, this isn't either. Apologies to the owner.

CramCycle wrote: »
    On a nice news story, one of our neighbours dropped over lettuce they were growing in their garden and another neighbour dropped in a pile of Chinese Pears. Not for any reason other than they had some and thought it was nice to share. Despite the public today, this made me reconsider my general dislike of humanity

Chinese pears? They look like golden delicious apples no? and are in fact delicious when ripe and have the 5 pointed man when you chop them in half.

• Advertisement

Chinese pears? They look like golden delicious apples no? and are in fact delicious when ripe and have the 5 pointed man when you chop them in half.
    Pretty much, I'd never heard of them before but she gave me one a month ago as I opened the gate for her and it was delicious, like a cross between an apple and a pear only large and delicious. My partner met her today as she got a food delivery in and helped carry it in, she gave over the excess ones that come each month. I thought it was lovely. They are very refreshing. She also dropped over some watermelon later in the day.
    The lettuce was from another neighbour, my partner dropped in some plants as they are a permanent home for a few people who need full time care. Turns out one of the residents loves gardening and this was his first foray into non veg plants. So the lettuce was a thank you from him.
    I have another neighbour who leaves eggs hanging over the wall occasionally as an apology for the rooster kicking off at 6am.
    My neighbours, bar one, are awesome. And the one who isn't awesome keeps private so no issues there.
    Very lucky.

Advertisement