Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

La Flamme Rouge **off topic discussion**

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,769 ✭✭✭✭tomasrojo

Just a quick IT question, in case anyone has come across it already and knows a solution.

All the static content has disappeared from Boards since I moved to Vodafone mobile broadband, so every page renders in a fashion that's very hard to read or navigate.

For example, this should show the Bold icon:
    https://b-static.net/vbulletin/images/editor/bold.gif

But if you paste into browser address bar you get this on Firefox:

Secure Connection Failed

An error occurred during a connection to b-static.net. PR_END_OF_FILE_ERROR

Is there a fix for this? reddit.com also returns that secure connection error for the entire site, but I can do without reddit.

(I looked up the problem and tried some suggestions messing around with network settings, but nothing worked, and searched boards as well, but I got too many hits for general problems people were having with Vodafone. Just thought someone here might have come across it already, in the context of Boards.)

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Is it Vodafone *Corporate* or just personal?

As a first step make sure your system time and date are correct.

Thanks for asnwering.

Just an off-the-shelf Vodafone SIM card in a smartphone acting as a mobile hotspot

System date and time are correct.

Do you get the same problem in a different browser?

• Advertisement

Yeah, same issue in Chromium, Chrome and Firefox.

I'm on Linux, but it happens on an Android tablet as well.

One quirk is that sometimes if I navigate to another site and hit the back button, the Boards page will then render properly. But just hitting reload when on the Board page makes no difference.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,450 ✭✭✭Harrybelafonte

CramCycle wrote: »
    On a nice news story, one of our neighbours dropped over lettuce they were growing in their garden and another neighbour dropped in a pile of Chinese Pears. Not for any reason other than they had some and thought it was nice to share. Despite the public today, this made me reconsider my general dislike of humanity

My neighbours have done the opposite for me. Late night parties with vistors accompanied by some of the worst and loudest music I've ever experienced. Revving engines for half an hour at a time, while notmoving. Progressed to wheels spins on the main road at 11am this morning. I've never hated humanity more.

Anyway, don't want to bother people with my minor problems! Just in case anyone had come across it.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,846 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

tomasrojo wrote: »
    Yeah, same issue in Chromium, Chrome and Firefox.

I'm on Linux, but it happens on an Android tablet as well.
    Are you using a specific theme for boards or just the standard theme?
    Have you tried clearing your cookies, etc?

• Advertisement

Standard theme, I'm sure. I'll try clearing cookies now, hang on.

Thanks everyone for chipping in.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,940 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

My neighbours have done the opposite for me. Late night parties with vistors accompanied by some of the worst and loudest music I've ever experienced. Revving engines for half an hour at a time, while notmoving. Progressed to wheels spins on the main road at 11am this morning. I've never hated humanity more.

Sorry to hear that, this will sound snobby but I thought you lived in a far nicer area than me. The only real trouble we have had in the area was a large funeral near the start and a huge crowd got really drunk on the street and started fighting. My son has also, rightly or wrongly started calling out the local drug dealer gang (they have a house and the weirdest system for dealing like they are in a movie trying to be all cool doing hand offs in different ways, their stupidity hurts to watch) for not social distancing , he's braver than me. They maybe stupid but I still don't want them popping over to my house if one of them gets annoyed over nothing.

Clearing cookies didn't work.

I notice that answers.yahoo.com won't load in any shape or from. Secure connection error as well.

I read somewhere that Vodafone block/used to bloc sites with a problem with contents rights violation, which might explain reddit. Or maybe that's got nothing to do with this.

If I stick an Eir SIM in the phne and try that, I don't get secure connection errors

Thanks for all the replies anyway!

Not that big a problem. Just a bit of a pain.

Somebody mentioned an overzealous content filter that Vodafone might have switched on by default. I'll check that out.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,617 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

I'm on vodafone data here (using chrome on Android) and reddit loads without issue for me.

Yeah, looks as if Vodafone have a pretty restrictive content filter by default. Since it's pay-as-you-go, I'll have to go into a store with ID and get it changed. I'm not sure they'll believe that I want to get it changed to read Boards.

Thanks, magicbastarder. It might be because this is an unregistered PAYG SIM, so it's set to the most restrictive content filter.

Sorry to hear that, this will sound snobby but I thought you lived in a far nicer area than me. The only real trouble we have had in the area was a large funeral near the start and a huge crowd got really drunk on the street and started fighting. My son has also, rightly or wrongly started calling out the local drug dealer gang (they have a house and the weirdest system for dealing like they are in a movie trying to be all cool doing hand offs in different ways, their stupidity hurts to watch) for not social distancing , he's braver than me. They maybe stupid but I still don't want them popping over to my house if one of them gets annoyed over nothing.

Lol. I don’t know where you live so no judging. Hah. It’s an older, settle area for sure. Pretty middle-class. But rental properties are an issue. Students are generally ok but this lot are different.

We also had a drug dealers “den” a year or two back. Reeeeeeal obvious. Kids on bikes in and out. Lots of Garda traffic stops in the road. Lasted a few months. Then they were gone.

The **** people in Ballymun have to put up with trickles in here constantly. I don’t think anywhere in Dublin beyond the €1m+ areas is free from drugs disruption.

Lol. I don’t know where you live so no judging. Hah. It’s an older, settle area for sure. Pretty middle-class. But rental properties are an issue. Students are generally ok but this lot are different.

We also had a drug dealers “den” a year or two back. Reeeeeeal obvious. Kids on bikes in and out. Lots of Garda traffic stops in the road. Lasted a few months. Then they were gone.

The **** people in Ballymun have to put up with trickles in here constantly. I don’t think anywhere in Dublin beyond the €1m+ areas is free from drugs disruption.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,617 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

tomasrojo wrote: »
    Thanks, magicbastarder. It might be because this is an unregistered PAYG SIM, so it's set to the most restrictive content filter.
    i'm on super red extra glorious leader shall live forever plus, or whatever the plan is called. it's one of the expensive ones anyway.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭Eamonnator

I was looking for a post, that I made a while ago, I went to find all my posts and it returned as an error 503. Then tried to find previous posts from other users and the same thing happened. I use a Mac Book Pro. I then tried the same on my phone (android) and it works perfectly.
    Am I doing something wrong? is the problem with my Mac? or something else.

Thanks in advance for any enlightenment.

E.

Edit.
    Everything else on that dropdown seems to be working.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,005 ✭✭✭cletus

Eamonnator wrote: »
    I was looking for a post, that I made a while ago, I went to find all my posts and it returned as an error 503. Then tried to find previous posts from other users and the same thing happened. I use a Mac Book Pro. I then tried the same on my phone (android) and it works perfectly.
    Am I doing something wrong? is the problem with my Mac? or something else.

Thanks in advance for any enlightenment.
    E.

Problem with the site since yesterday. They had a banner up on the home page explaining it

• Registered Users Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭Eamonnator

cletus wrote: »
    Problem with the site since yesterday. They had a banner up on the home page explaining it

duh

didn't see that, thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,343 ✭✭✭Daroxtar

Love Phil. He was Everesting the other day puke in his beard and all, possibly why he's trimmed right down :D

• Registered Users Posts: 18,419 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

is there a cycling calculator where you can put in you age weight etc and details of a ride, distance height climbed and get an approximate percentile of performance?

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

strava?
    what do you mean by 'percentile of performance'?

• Registered Users Posts: 18,419 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

strava?
    what do you mean by 'percentile of performance'?

as in you cycled a time in the 50th or 60th percentile across other cyclists, but age adjusted not across all cyclists

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,511 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

Strava does leaderboards by age bands and weight bands

• Advertisement

strava allows you to compare your time against leaderboard broken down by age and weight, but that's only against recorded PRs.

Advertisement