Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

La Flamme Rouge **off topic discussion**

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,617 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

Any recommendations for places for non cycling shoes online?? preferably an affordable Irish retailer? I'd rather not give sports direct any money.

I've had 3 pairs of shoes/trainers come to the end of their life this week and head for the bin, one pair of wrangler boots had the soles disintegrate after about 6 months wear the trainers I think I got 3 months out of. My last remaining pair probably have a few weeks left in them.

I'm either very hard on shoes, shoes these days are sh1te or I'm just buying sh1te ones.

Crazy thing is when I bin a pair the uppers are in fine condition it's the sole or insides around the ankle maybe that go and they become unwearable.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,940 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

/hides can of Aldi beer purchased with the shopping earlier :o
    Aldi do some nice beers, that one with a picture of a Donkey is a very nice Saison.
    the best cheap option are the cans of ale they do in lidl - on a nautical theme, i can't remember the name. three different options, one has orange in it.
    I presumereaume that's one of the rebranded ones from Rye River. They are very nice, I like their brown ale.

Peroni is a grand lager, my preference is Tyskie, makes a good Radler when mixed with some sparkling lemon.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,617 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

the brother of the chap who owns the spar beside me owns a brewery (one of the reasonably well known irish ones).
    they occasionally get shortdated ale in, and usually it's a few dozen boxes. the lads there know i'm one of the only ale drinkers around so usually sell it to me for next to nothing. for the sake of my own liver i've been trying to spread the word.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,442 ✭✭✭LollipopJimmy

Any recommendations for places for non cycling shoes online?? preferably an affordable Irish retailer? I'd rather not give sports direct any money.

I've had 3 pairs of shoes/trainers come to the end of their life this week and head for the bin, one pair of wrangler boots had the soles disintegrate after about 6 months wear the trainers I think I got 3 months out of. My last remaining pair probably have a few weeks left in them.

I'm either very hard on shoes, shoes these days are sh1te or I'm just buying sh1te ones.

Crazy thing is when I bin a pair the uppers are in fine condition it's the sole or insides around the ankle maybe that go and they become unwearable.

I use m&m direct when buying online, UK based unfortunately but still decent pricing and quick delivery along with a huge selection

• Advertisement

the brother of the chap who owns the spar beside me owns a brewery (one of the reasonably well known irish ones).
    they occasionally get shortdated ale in, and usually it's a few dozen boxes. the lads there know i'm one of the only ale drinkers around so usually sell it to me for next to nothing. for the sake of my own liver i've been trying to spread the word.

Spread it this way

CramCycle wrote: »
    I presumereaume that's one of the rebranded ones from Rye River. They are very nice, I like their brown ale.
    not sure where they're sourced, these are the ones i mean:

https://www.lidl.ie/en/p/our-craft-beer-range/craft-orange-pale-ale-6-0/p24042
    https://www.lidl.ie/en/p/our-craft-beer-range/craft-indian-pale-ale-5-4/p24043
    https://www.lidl.ie/en/p/our-craft-beer-range/american-craft-ipa-5-5/p24044

• Registered Users Posts: 6,485 ✭✭✭Fighting Tao

Stuck in Castletroy for the last while. Luckily I have a bike down with me. Anyone know a good bike mechanic for a service?

Not those ones, the ones I am on about are typically in bottles although I think canned beers are better typically.

Haven't been in Lidl for food in yonks despite it being closer to me than Aldi, we just prefer the Aldi stuff over theirs but I do recall them having some nice wheat beers a couple years back, wonder do they still do them. The name escapes me but they used to pretty decent value too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,446 ✭✭✭Ryath

They are by Stewart Brewing in the UK. The plunged orange ain't great it's like some mixed a DIPA with fanta. It's drinkable I'd certainly prefer it to most lagers. The other two are a bit better. I'd usually sooner pay the bit extra for The Crafty Brewing are made by Rye River, the American Wheat beer and the Brown ale are very good. They're 500ml so on a cost per litre not much more than the cans.

Generally favouring can's myself these days IPA's keep better in them and the bottle bank run doesn't make me look like I should checking in with AA. Still like my bottles though for imperial stouts and Belgium ales.
    Haven't been in Lidl for food in yonks despite it being closer to me than Aldi, we just prefer the Aldi stuff over theirs but I do recall them having some nice wheat beers a couple years back, wonder do they still do them. The name escapes me but they used to pretty decent value too.

Franziskaner often on offer at 4 for €6 they have they're own brand Perlenbacher Patronus Weiss that's pretty decent. Think it's just €1.40

do rye river do the mcgargles stuff? i had thought they did, which put me right off the notion of buying the crafty brewing company stuff.

one of our locals has recently stocked the 'stay at home' isolation IPA from porterhouse which i like.

my favourite porter is still probably yannaroddy from kinnegar, but i haven't had it in a while.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,511 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

Rye river is mcgargles alright. O'Hara's do the Aldi craft stuff under the OSheas name.

I prefer the Aldi stuff to the Lidl stuff myself. The Lidl twisted knots IPA is gick.

Fan of the kinnegar myself, but would go for a Wicklow Wolf stout of OHaras Lean Folainn if given the choice.

do rye river do the mcgargles stuff? i had thought they did, which put me right off the notion of buying the crafty brewing company stuff.
    They do, the crafty range from LIDL is nicer.
    my favourite porter is still probably yannaroddy from kinnegar, but i haven't had it in a while.
    Kinnegar have went up in my estimation since they switched to canning. When in bottles, 1 in 2 would have issues and explode all over the place, and there was no consistency. There range of cans are excellent.

Weepsie wrote: »
    OHaras Lean Folainn if given the choice.
    yes, this is something i always recommend to stout drinkers who are unfamiliar with it.

a year or two back i made the nicest cider known to man. my friends were raving about it, but i've not been able to replicate it.
    i generally allow natural yeasts to do their trick, and somehow (i think) a yeast took hold which i presume was killed off slightly early by the alcohol; most of the sugars fermented but not all, so there was this lovely natural appley sweetness to it, to just about offset the dryness of a natural cider. it was lovely, a happy accident.

Actually is throw in Mi daza too. Fond of that. Not sure if its available outside any of the rising sons pubs in cork.

Fan of Galway Bays Buried at Sea and Stormy Port too.

I had the most amazing stout last year and didn't get the name of it. It was very strong, and like a dessert nearly so you'd only have the one.

there's a lovely session ale reasonably available (i last had it in the back page in phibsboro) whose name escapes me, a really nice citrusy taste to it. if someone can remember the name, please remind me, i would be interested to know if it's available in bottles or cans.

Whiplash rollover perchance? Or white hag?

i think it might be rascal's 'happy days'?

• Advertisement

i think it might be rascal's 'happy days'?

I've been drinking a good bit from them, the brewery is next to my house, liking their 'relax the cacks' at the moment

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 6,848 Mod ✭✭✭✭eeeee

Some of us don't even drink beer.
    Yawn!

:P

eeeee wrote: »
    Some of us don't even drink beer.
    Yawn!

:P

Straight on the Proper 12?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,484 ✭✭✭manafana

Ryath wrote: »
    They are by Stewart Brewing in the UK. The plunged orange ain't great it's like some mixed a DIPA with fanta. It's drinkable I'd certainly prefer it to most lagers. The other two are a bit better. I'd usually sooner pay the bit extra for The Crafty Brewing are made by Rye River, the American Wheat beer and the Brown ale are very good. They're 500ml so on a cost per litre not much more than the cans.

Generally favouring can's myself these days IPA's keep better in them and the bottle bank run doesn't make me look like I should checking in with AA. Still like my bottles though for imperial stouts and Belgium ales.

Franziskaner often on offer at 4 for €6 they have they're own brand Perlenbacher Patronus Weiss that's pretty decent. Think it's just €1.40

this man speaks sense, canning suits IPA for sure, its real stouts that seem better in brown bottles

CramCycle wrote: »
    They do, the crafty range from LIDL is nicer.

Kinnegar have went up in my estimation since they switched to canning. When in bottles, 1 in 2 would have issues and explode all over the place, and there was no consistency. There range of cans are excellent.

they make more money canning anyway i'd reckon, never had those issues myself with bottles exploding but did notice some taste change. I love Kinnegar.

White Hag did long neck bottle but switched to canning, its far easier for smaller guys to can

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 6,848 Mod ✭✭✭✭eeeee

Straight on the Proper 12?

No whiskey founded by that hideous creature!
    Brandy, gin or wine for me please!

eeeee wrote: »
    No whiskey founded by that hideous creature!
    Brandy, gin or wine for me please!

Wouldn't even use it to clean paint brushes anyway.

Writers tears and Green Spot please.

manafana wrote: »
    they make more money canning anyway i'd reckon, never had those issues myself with bottles exploding but did notice some taste change. I love Kinnegar.

White Hag did long neck bottle but switched to canning, its far easier for smaller guys to can

The only issue with canning is the initial outlay is quite expensive compared to bottling but once up and running its cheaper, keeps beers fresher, and my understanding is more enviromentally friendly.

• Advertisement

I also thoroughly recommend (as a gin alternative) white port and tonic with a slice of orange.

Looks wistfully towards Portugal

Advertisement