Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

La Flamme Rouge **off topic discussion**

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 6,848 Mod ✭✭✭✭eeeee

Weepsie wrote: »
    I also thoroughly recommend (as a gin alternative) white port and tonic with a slice of orange.

Looks wistfully towards Portugal

Oh I'll give that a go, I've never had a white port.
    I love a hot port in the winter time, time to summer up!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,442 ✭✭✭LollipopJimmy

eeeee wrote: »
    No whiskey founded by that hideous creature!
    Brandy, gin or wine for me please!

:pac:

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 11,391 Mod ✭✭✭✭Captain Havoc

Personally, I loathe the term craft beer, it's beer simple as, well maybe regional beer. If you drink craft beer, you probably have a beard and ride a fixie with narrow handlebars. If you drink peroni, no matter what colour gear you have on, your socks are white.

Proper 12 is proper piss, I even hate the fact he's put 12 in there to make it sound like a twelve-year-old.

I have found a beer that I love from a smaller regional brewhouse that is out to make money like any other brewhouse. To make it better it's brewed in the home of decent beer - Kilkenny. Costello's spelt lager, yum. 12 acres is also worth a mention.

https://ormondelanguagetours.com

Walking Tours of Kilkenny in English, French or German.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,667 Mod ✭✭✭✭RobFowl

Carlsberg special brew, thats a craft beer too surely ?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,005 ✭✭✭cletus

RobFowl wrote: »
    Carlsberg special brew, thats a craft beer too surely ?

I'm a big fan of Rock Shore myself. Think they are a small brewer.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,484 ✭✭✭manafana

Smaller regional brewhouse roles off the tongue :pac:

no comment on mr.proper 12 and his pissy whiskey

Speaking of beer I noticed a few of the local pubs had kegs outside today to prevent parking in anticipation of a delivery :confused:

Maybe they are going to try deliveries or take aways.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 6,848 Mod ✭✭✭✭eeeee

Speaking of beer I noticed a few of the local pubs had kegs outside today to prevent parking in anticipation of a delivery :confused:

Maybe they are going to try deliveries or take aways.

Pubs near me are doing takeaway pints and glasses of wine.
    I don't know how they're managing it, just saw the open door and sign outside.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,846 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

Not a craft beer but my current favourite is Paulaner Hefe-Weissbier

I was only kidding about proper 12 btw!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,788 ✭✭✭✭dahat

The Assimo power meter pedals better be worth this painting aggro I've taken on as bargaining chip.

Shattered from two days at it.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,081 ✭✭✭buffalo

eeeee wrote: »
    Pubs near me are doing takeaway pints and glasses of wine.
    I don't know how they're managing it, just saw the open door and sign outside.

Same as the off-licences and any shop that's operating at the moment - you pay in advance (sale has to happen on the premises, but credit card over the phone is fine), and they deliver the pints to you, or you collect. As long as social distancing is followed, it's all legit.

buffalo wrote: »
    Same as the off-licences and any shop that's operating at the moment - you pay in advance (sale has to happen on the premises, but credit card over the phone is fine), and they deliver the pints to you, or you collect. As long as social distancing is followed, it's all legit.

It's been 20 years since I worked in a bar but at that time we were not allowed to sell booze to people at the end of the night to bring home as from memory a standard publicans licence didn't cover them for sales for consumption outside the pub premises.

Maybe I'm recalling that incorrectly or it's changed.

EDIT: Actually if I recall you need to have a separate beer, wine and spirit licence for offsales too.

Out with the dog there and doing it's best rain , a few spits no more and that smell when it hasn't rained in a while. I wish I could bottle it!!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,098 ✭✭✭NamelessPhil

Out with the dog there and doing it's best rain , a few spits no more and that smell when it hasn't rained in a while. I wish I could bottle it!!!!!

"Petrichor" is the word you need.

Not enough rain to dampen the ground here in South Dublin. My water butt needs refilling.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,081 ✭✭✭buffalo

It's been 20 years since I worked in a bar but at that time we were not allowed to sell booze to people at the end of the night to bring home as from memory a standard publicans licence didn't cover them for sales for consumption outside the pub premises.

Maybe I'm recalling that incorrectly or it's changed.

EDIT: Actually if I recall you need to have a separate beer, wine and spirit licence for offsales too.

Apparently it's fine as long as customers don't consume it within 100m. I'm guessing that it would be hard to stop people from buying drink from you at the end of the night, then sitting in the car park drinking it. Or perhaps the law has changed as you said, that on-licences can be off-licences too.

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/crime-and-law/not-black-and-white-the-legalities-of-a-pint-of-plain-during-lockdown-1.4256565

• Registered Users Posts: 1,813 ✭✭✭Large bottle small glass

"Petrichor" is the word you need.

A word which came from research in the 1960's into the phenomenon.

https://chemport.cas.org/cgi-bin/sdcgi?APP=ftslink&action=reflink&origin=npg&version=1.0&coi=1:CAS:528:DyaF2cXnsVCmsg%3D%3D&pissn=0028-0836&pyear=1965&md5=e69431f269998ab0b70dd6759a53d72c

I've searched but it seems Brendan McWilliams (Weather Eye in the Irish Times) never wrote on the subject which is a pity.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,617 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

we bought a petrichor candle in tk maxx a few years ago which seems to have become a collector's item. my wife was saying she was seeing it selling for 100 quid online a year or so later. i'd never known there was a collectors market for candles, but i guess there's one for everything.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,232 ✭✭✭✭Hurrache

Given it's World Bicycle Day, the EU, via the European Space Agency, have announced a new app "that guides people on safer, more enjoyable bike journeys will be launched later this summer as social-distancing measures encourage more cyclists to take to the road. Developed by London-based company Beeline, it uses space data and crowdsourced information to generate route suggestions, and can be connected to a device fixed onto the bike’s handlebars that provides easy-to-understand prompts."

https://www.esa.int/Applications/Telecommunications_Integrated_Applications/Bike_routing_app_uses_space_for_cyclists

It's crowd sourced and takes in elevations, accident hotspots, route feedback and so on. Could be interesting for those not familiar with different routes around the country. However it'll only be as good as the number of people using it.

Got a chipper on the way home from today's cycle, smoked cod and chips, I ended up with a smoked cod and a fresh cod. Waste not want not...

Best chipper in Dublin btw, no fancy bull just a normal chipper.

Bonus points if you can name the location

• Advertisement

Do I get more bonus points by knowing it's one of two Macari on the same road???

Bastard, you've put the want on me now for a chipper!!!!!!

Do I get more bonus points by knowing it's one of two Macari on the same road???

The other Macari is still known locally as The Ritz. I also make no apologies for making you want chips :pac:

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,617 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

our local macaris can't cook chips for ****. why is it that so many irish chippers cook them so they're basically just a big bag of sogginess rather than something with a bit of texture?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,425 ✭✭✭✭dastardly00

Got a chipper on the way home from today's cycle, smoked cod and chips, I ended up with a smoked cod and a fresh cod. Waste not want not...

Best chipper in Dublin btw, no fancy bull just a normal chipper.

Bonus points if you can name the location

They gave you 2 pieces of fish and no chips at all??

our local macaris can't cook chips for ****. why is it that so many irish chippers cook them so they're basically just a big bag of sogginess rather than something with a bit of texture?

So many bad chippers in Ireland.

They gave you 2 pieces of fish and no chips at all??

No no, I got 2 huge pieces of fish and my chips.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭Eamonnator

I had a takeaway from Dominic's on Monday.
    Very tasty,

Didn't even have to get off my bike to get chips there, the lads are serving out the wee window !!!! Herself is away to arm herself with 'red sauce', the word ketchup is never spoken on our house.

Eamonnator wrote: »
    I had a takeaway from Dominic's on Monday.
    Very tasty,

Oh the nights after fusion we got chips there!!!!!! Actually I'm for old enough it to have been Man Friday's too.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭Eamonnator

Oh the nights after fusion we got chips there!!!!!! Actually I'm for old enough it to have been Man Friday's too.

I remember when it was The Swan Inn and before that The Penny Farthing.
    Was it not Crusoe's rather than Man Friday's?

• Advertisement

Eamonnator wrote: »
    I remember when it was The Swan Inn and before that The Penny Farthing.
    Was it not Crusoe's rather than Man Friday's?

Both, former was the bar the later the night club. It was just called it Dingo's by most. I guess every generation says this but those were the days.

Advertisement