Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

La Flamme Rouge **off topic discussion**

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,846 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

Weepsie wrote: »
    My employer is asking people to consider walking if they love within 5km of work or cycling within 10km.
    Out of curiosity, have they increased the storage area for bikes or have they introduced/increased changing/showering facilities?
    I know in my own place, they've done nothing extra so far.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,918 ✭✭✭De Bhál

My employer is asking people to consider walking if they love within 5km of work or cycling within 10km.

5km would be fair bit of a walk for most people and 5km back home in the evening. Dunno about that, maybe if the employer lets people finish a bit earlier.

personally I'd love it if that was brought in but most would definitely object.

10km cycle is doable for most and wouldn't take too long

• Registered Users Posts: 1,854 ✭✭✭Rogue-Trooper

silverharp wrote: »
    I had a quick look at road deaths, there doesnt appear to be any difference this year to last. If I remember correctly the start of the year was running a little ahead? but as of a few days ago the number is tied.

They were talking about it on the radio yesterday. Apparently the level of traffic was down 57% (IIRC) on the same period last year but the number of road deaths remained the same.

To me that means it's gotten way worse but they were painting it as being consistent:confused:

I live within 5km of work by road, and I have walked it on occasion when the bike wasn't an option, takes around 40 minutes. I'd say in some locations at peak traffic you'd not be much quicker by bus or car. I'd be one of those who'd rather be moving and wet than dry and stood at the bus shelter waiting or stuck in traffic.

Interestingly in our place (110 employees 4 of us cycle regularly and 2 or 3 occasionally) I've heard it on the qt from a colleague in hr the company will be introducing a €200 top up on the bike to work scheme to encourage those on the lower tax bracket to consider taking it up and make it worth their while. Not sure how thats going to work if true but a good incentive none the less.

I'll not be walking or cycling to work for the foreseeable future which is just fine with me, it's great being home with the girls albeit a bit of a juggling act at times.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,419 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

They were talking about it on the radio yesterday. Apparently the level of traffic was down 57% (IIRC) on the same period last year but the number of road deaths remained the same.

To me that means it's gotten way worse but they were painting it as being consistent:confused:

at the start I remember seeing cars breaking red lights on the Merrion road , because there was no cars like, why would you stop? Driving standards just dropped, traffic speeds went up. Or maybe it doesnt work well when a whole population breaks it routine but still

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,275 ✭✭✭koutoubia

CramCycle wrote: »
    I can't find my Wahoo Bolt anywhere, only two places left it might be easy to find. Bloody Wednesdays.

On one of the lockdown loops I was doing I dropped my small saddlebag. Despite the majority of the loop being on a straight road do you think I could find it. Not a fooking sign of it.

koutoubia wrote: »
    On one of the lockdown loops I was doing I dropped my small saddlebag. Despite the majority of the loop being on a straight road do you think I could find it. Not a fooking sign of it.

Did you have your name and phone number on it? Think I posted before about losing mine and getting a call from a young woman who'd picked it up on her way to work.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,511 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

De Bhál wrote: »
    5km would be fair bit of a walk for most people and 5km back home in the evening. Dunno about that, maybe if the employer lets people finish a bit earlier.

personally I'd love it if that was brought in but most would definitely object.

10km cycle is doable for most and wouldn't take too long

I regularly walked 5-6km to work over the last 2 years. It's about an hour at a not even very brisk pace as I'm a fairly slow plodder.
    Out of curiosity, have they increased the storage area for bikes or have they introduced/increased changing/showering facilities?
    I know in my own place, they've done nothing extra so far.

Nope, they sent a survey out and it's something I noted. Some locations have great facilities (some like mine) have basically nothing. HQ has secure area, showers etc. I have a railing behind building and a shared bathroom.

Got my phone back from warranty repair today, it had wear on the charge port so the cable was slipping out. Been using an older phone with with a 3000 mAh battery that even with no bluetooth, mobile data etc needed charging every day /shudders.

Theres a lot to be said for a 5000 mAh battery and 2 charges a week, noticed the weight difference in my pocket when I was out for a spin earlier though :D

Kind of ironic it had wear on the charge port given I don't charge it as often as other phones I've had.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,617 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

i've a pixel 3 which has a battery a shade under 3000mAh, and i usually get the guts of two days out of it.

• Advertisement

Yeah I'd expect to get a little bit longer from that size battery but I suspect the Moto G4 I was using for the last week or so has it's own issues at this stage given it's age.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,442 ✭✭✭LollipopJimmy

Got my phone back from warranty repair today, it had wear on the charge port so the cable was slipping out. Been using an older phone with with a 3000 mAh battery that even with no bluetooth, mobile data etc needed charging every day /shudders.

Theres a lot to be said for a 5000 mAh battery and 2 charges a week, noticed the weight difference in my pocket when I was out for a spin earlier though :D

Kind of ironic it had wear on the charge port given I don't charge it as often as other phones I've had.

Where did it go for repair, im waiting for an insurance repair on a S10+ and they're messing me about now

Where did it go for repair, im waiting for an insurance repair on a S10+ and they're messing me about now

I was sent DHL labels from the manufacturer and it was collected and sent to FonFix out in Sandyford who sent it back to me via normal post in a standard A5 padded envelope, not the box and bubble-wrap I sent it in :rolleyes:

I would be 100% certain yours was sent to them too.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,442 ✭✭✭LollipopJimmy

I was sent DHL labels from the manufacturer and it was collected and sent to FonFix out in Sandyford who sent it back to me via normal post in a standard A5 padded envelope, not the box and bubble-wrap I sent it in :rolleyes:

I would be 100% certain yours was sent to them too.

Oh I still have mine. 10 weeks after initially reporting it, I get it regarding pandemic but its been a ****show and have been told Ill have a long wait. Insurance this time is through revolut and to be fair to them they've lit a fire under the insurance company.

Wait they haven't collected it yet? I had issue having it collected as they (maufacturer) never told me when it was due to be picked up but I got onto DHL and they said someone called to collect it and we weren't home :rolleyes:, arranged another time. Fella who came was spitting feathers about his so called colleague who didn't bother his arse doing any collections the day they were due to call. SO despite that I had mine picked up on the 25th of May and back today. So 2 week turn around.

Yeah I'd expect to get a little bit longer from that size battery but I suspect the Moto G4 I was using for the last week or so has it's own issues at this stage given it's age.

The g4 had a serious battery drain issue on lots of them and a screen burn issue. Shame as it was a good phone. Still have my g3 which combined with an otter box is a little tank

Got myself a Xiaomi Mi A3 that has a good 2 day battery if I really wanted. Probably longer

The g4 had a serious battery drain issue on lots of them and a screen burn issue. Shame as it was a good phone. Still have my g3 which combined with an otter box is a little tank

Got myself a Xiaomi Mi A3 that has a good 2 day battery if I really wanted. Probably longer

Oh check both those boxes and the dead pixels on 2 replacements on the G4 but felt great in hand in terms of screen size and weight and width.

In future ill be looking for the finger print scanner you can use to pull down the notification bar with I have on current phone and my partner on a cheaper one doesn't have.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Mc Love

A family that is a friend of our family just called over and literally every kid and both parents are wearing builders vests - so embarrassed for them.

But great that the whole family is cycling, if one positive comes out of it.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,617 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

• Registered Users Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭Eamonnator

Oh dear, a Trek!
    I do hope he doesn't use it as a battering ram.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IEaKHmDqj8Q

• Advertisement

Bike looks a little small for him. Local councillor to me. Never heard of him but I don't like him

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,940 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

Bike looks a little small for him. Local councillor to me. Never heard of him but I don't like him

FFer: Here Pat, can you give us a bike for a photo shoot, any bike will do.
    Pat: Will I buy it?
    FFer: I'm an elected FF official, I'm no pleb who votes for me, cop on Pat. If I have to I'll expense it.

Whatever involvement pat has with the shop, if any, he stays well away from it.

I presume it's his brother and nephew running it.i once bought clothes there as they were a great price, but I've only once or twice been in the shop since and I live maybe 5mins.

I wonder how they get on with humphries

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,940 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

Whatever involvement pat has with the shop, if any, he stays well away from it.

I presume it's his brother and nephew running it.i once bought clothes there as they were a great price, but I've only once or twice been in the shop since and I live maybe 5mins.

I wonder how they get on with humphries

LOL, i wasn't actually trying to say it was Pats shop, it was just a name for the story, I should have just said Bike shop owner

do i recall hearing there was some schism in the family and some of the brothers don't talk?

Anyone else noticing a huge amount of young lads on those fiido ebikes?

yes, definitely so. assuming you mean the ones that look like electrified fold up bikes?

Never heard of them. Just price checked them there and they are the bike equivalent of e-scooters it seems. €400-500 will see you on one.

EDIT: Are these legal? Surely not I see 'Moped Mode' mentioned and what looks like a right hand throttle?

https://www.fiidoebike.com/products/fiido-d3s-folding-electric-bike?variant=33305548816517

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,450 ✭✭✭Harrybelafonte

Anyone else noticing a huge amount of young lads on those fiido ebikes?

Them and the electric scooters, full speed on pavements.

Also, lots of not so young, but definitely maturity-stunted "lads" doing same. The same kind who get an ego-boner by walking very slowly in front of your car to "inconvenience" you.

• Advertisement

Spotted a few lads on the old ashbourne road in red jerseys with what looked like a large white P on the front. Is that a club jersey?

Advertisement