Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

La Flamme Rouge **off topic discussion**

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,617 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

They're not that risky this time of year. It's when they get drunk on over ripe fruit later in the summer you have to worry,
    from what i understand, it's because the queen stops laying so they run out of food and get hungry so pester anything that might be food.

Oh that makes sense, I always figured they were mean drunks from the alcohol in over ripe fruits late in summer.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,975 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

wasps are pollinators too.

We had a nest in our garden wall right beside the back door - I put powdered poison around the entrance and it was gone within days.
    I'd never actually been stung by one until last summer, wasn't too bad compared to a bee sting or (the worst) a horsefly bite.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,788 ✭✭✭✭dahat

Wasp removal tomorrow, €60 well spent for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,138 ✭✭✭dinneenp

dahat wrote: »
    Wasp removal tomorrow, €60 well spent for me.

A bit of a buzzkill.....

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,667 Mod ✭✭✭✭RobFowl

dinneenp wrote: »
    A bit of a buzzkill.....

I hope they don't sting you with a huge bill...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,450 ✭✭✭Harrybelafonte

maybe ring elverys? they list whistles on their website anyway, €4.

Thanks for recommendations. Elvery's in Omni closed but Lifestyle had loads in stock oddly enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,442 ✭✭✭LollipopJimmy

Ended up in my local last night, nachos and a shedload of pints. Team meeting over zoom this morning was less than nice

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,846 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

Team meeting over zoom this morning was less than nice
    Just use Ctrl + Shift + 7...

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,515 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

Ended up in my local last night, nachos and a shedload of pints. Team meeting over zoom this morning was less than nice

How many pints can one have in 105 minutes?

A younger me, would see that as a challenge, but I'd gather a lot of pubs/people are taking it as a challenge

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,617 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

there's a tweet going round, with a photo of a receipt for one meal and 31 pints of heineken, which is disgusting behaviour.

really, you've not been able to get to a pub for months and you order *heineken*?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,975 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

there's a tweet going round, with a photo of a receipt for one meal and 31 pints of heineken, which is disgusting behaviour.

fools. you don't actually have to order any food.

Weepsie wrote: »
    How many pints can one have in 105 minutes?

A younger me, would see that as a challenge, but I'd gather a lot of pubs/people are taking it as a challenge

The 105minute thing is in no way enforcable, I was there from 8.30 until midnight. They seem to be ok with only asking people to go if there are others waiting to get in

• Registered Users Posts: 8,138 ✭✭✭dinneenp

loyatemu wrote: »
    fools. you don't actually have to order any food.

Friend was in an establishment last night- couldn't get drink until food arrived...

dinneenp wrote: »
    Friend was in an establishment last night- couldn't get drink until food arrived...

Really? We were 3 pints deep before we even ordered

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,515 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

The 105minute thing is in no way enforcable, I was there from 8.30 until midnight. They seem to be ok with only asking people to go if there are others waiting to get in

It's entirely enforceable though. Pubs have no problem enforcing people to wait or leave when it suits them, so during a cautious reopening in the midst of a global pandemic, it is.

Given what the smallest if businesses have been able to enforce the last 3 months, pubs can enforce this.

Pubs that can't should have their licences temporarily revoked.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,232 ✭✭✭✭Hurrache

Was just watching this, Lanterne Rouge covering the mens Slovenian ITT and some interesting findings re: bike changes and some points about a later stage of the Tour this year.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,081 ✭✭✭buffalo

Is there any decent bike parking on Parnell St in Dublin? Outside the cinema probably isn't as safe as it used to be given the lack of foot traffic. Outside Pennys might be the best option.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,940 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

Was parking outside the Cinema ever safe? For as long as I can remember there were people knocking bikes outside there on a daily basis.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 965 ✭✭✭shaveAbullock

What style of cycling socks are en vogue right now?
    I always get it wrong.

what's the deal with the flyby option in strava? it can be awful at correlation - i was chatting to a chap from skerries last night, from the naul to ballyboughal, and according to strava, both the correlation score and spatial correlation score of the cycles are 0.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,918 ✭✭✭De Bhál

buffalo wrote: »
    Is there any decent bike parking on Parnell St in Dublin? Outside the cinema probably isn't as safe as it used to be given the lack of foot traffic. Outside Pennys might be the best option.

probably in the carpark of DIT is the safest option around there - don't know if it's open at the moment though

• Registered Users Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭Eamonnator

I always get it wrong.

Have a look at the ones Armstrong used to wear, take careful note of the colour and height and avoid.
    Anything else is fine..

• Registered Users Posts: 8,005 ✭✭✭cletus

I always get it wrong.

Ankle socks all the way, preferably with unshaved legs

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,846 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

cletus wrote: »
    ...and what about the male cyclists? :D

cletus wrote: »

It's funny I've been in cargo shorts more or less every day since lockdown and working from home and on the bike I wear ankle socks too so my shins that get smoothed from regular sock and trouser wearing are getting their fuzz back :D

• Registered Users Posts: 8,005 ✭✭✭cletus

It's funny I've been in cargo shorts more or less every day since lockdown and working from home and on the bike I wear ankle socks too so my shins that get smoothed from regular sock and trouser wearing are getting their fuzz back :D

I wear shorts from about mid April to September every year. I have ridiculously hairy legs.

I also only wear ankle socks when cycling, unless I'm wearing full leggings (rare), in which case it's long socks

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,995 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

what's the deal with the flyby option in strava? it can be awful at correlation - i was chatting to a chap from skerries last night, from the naul to ballyboughal, and according to strava, both the correlation score and spatial correlation score of the cycles are 0.
    You both must have been doing serious physical distancing.

Another first world problem with FlyBy is that the tick box feature to eliminate runners/walkers doesn't seem to work properly (although perhaps that's because some of those runners/walkers have their recording devices set for cycling?)

Advertisement