Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

La Flamme Rouge **off topic discussion**

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,615 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

hah. i've just found the very same bike in an ad on adverts from 3 years ago. was not in dundrum i found it...

https://www.adverts.ie/road-bikes/dawes-echelon-bike-with-reynolds-531-frame/13251044

• Registered Users Posts: 4,688 ✭✭✭MojoMaker

That's gas. Will you bring it back to life yourself? Looks usable and could be a nice outcome with patience.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,615 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

Not sure what I'm going to do with it yet. It's too big for me but may suit a friend. Albeit one who already has a project like this but likely little space.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,943 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

Is the bottle cage mounted with hose clamps?

you mean jubilee clips? possibly, i didn't look closely enough.

• Advertisement

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 6,848 Mod ✭✭✭✭eeeee

Jubilee clips on our farm!

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,667 Mod ✭✭✭✭RobFowl

I was reading that back in the day (even before my day) frame builders felt braising on attachments and guides "deadened" the frame. Hence the best quality older steel frames need cable guides/clips etc....

Monday morning trivia......

may be of interest to any parents here?

https://www.facebook.com/events/602946580204484/

if you're not on facebook:

JUL25
    Bicycle Basics – Parent and Child Workshop

Once children are using their own bikes it won't be long before they need a bit of maintenance. This workshop is designed for a child and an accompanying adult to participate together and it teaches the children how to do basic maintenance on their bikes. This workshop is suitable for children aged 6 to 11 years old.

It will be a combination of demonstration and hands on activities on children's bikes provided for the class.

This will include:
    - Basic rules for nuts and bolts
    - Checking for loose bearings
    - Adjusting saddle height
    - Checking wheel nuts are tight
    - How to know what size of wheel a bike has
    - How to pump up a tyre
    - Finding punctures in an inner tube
    - Checking and tightening brakes
    - Oiling chains
    - Giving the bike a quick clean

*Child must be accompanied by one adult
    *Suitable for children aged 6 to 11 years old

*Due to the COVID-19 restrictions we have the following guidelines in place:
    In order to protect visitors and staff, it is mandatory that adults to wear a face mask during their visit. If visitors arrive without a mask there will be some available to purchase in our Ecostore. Visitors will not be able to join a tour/workshop until they are wearing a face mask. If you have any queries in relation to face masks please email our team on info@rediscoverycentre.ie

the road to hell is paved* with good intentions:

https://twitter.com/AlanDub13/status/1285240138919018502

*protected by wands?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Politics Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,269 Mod ✭✭✭✭Chips Lovell

They've stuck wands in on a road around my area. I can see the thinking behind it, but in practice it creates problems because they are so close together that it commits you to a fairly narrow line and means you can't move out to avoid hazards like broken glass or debris.

• Registered Users Posts: 22 Strobing

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EbBXBfEEaDI]

Would love to see more onboards like this of Irish races

• Registered Users Posts: 9,191 ✭✭✭RobertFoster

They've stuck wands in on a road around my area. I can see the thinking behind it, but in practice it creates problems because they are so close together that it commits you to a fairly narrow line and means you can't move out to avoid hazards like broken glass or debris.
    I tried the one in Phibsboro for the first time yesterday. It was nice that there were no cars, but I did feel like I was being funnelled into the gutter with the rubbish and detritus. I don't know if it's always been that dirty along there and it was hidden by the parked cars, or it was a Saturday night/Sunday morning thing.

One of the reasons I'm not overly fond of (often tacked on) segregated tracks is the lack of easy escape routes. Doing a shoulder check and moving further into the lane is a lot easier when you don't have wands or kerbs to deal with.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,081 ✭✭✭buffalo

There's quite a few like that in town, particularly around the Frank Sherwin Bridge by Heuston. Great if you're a less confident cyclist looking for security, brutal if you're a quicker vehicular cyclist who wants to take a decent line around the corner.

The one from Parkgate Street onto Wolfe Tone Quay does remove the need to yield to motor traffic though, which is sweet. And Wolfe Tone Quay itself is double width, which is very nice.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,938 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

Strobing wrote: »
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EbBXBfEEaDI]

Would love to see more onboards like this of Irish races

I could be wrong but onboard cameras are banned in CI races unless permission is granted from commissaires before the event

• Registered Users Posts: 16,787 ✭✭✭✭dahat

CramCycle wrote: »
    I could be wrong but onboard cameras are banned in CI races unless permission is granted from commissaires before the event

You are correct. There was footage from A4 crashes in 2018 that was less than pleasant and CI were quick to state cameras were banned.

If I recall the race in that video above, the Junior Tour had highlights on TG4 so that footage was likely used as part that and the reason it was allowed.

They've stuck those poles in a random stretch of the cycle lane on the Vevay Road in Bray aswell, on a winding bumpy bit aswell, you'd have to go 10 kph to navigate them safely, and still be at risk of catching one in your drops and falling into traffic, I just take the road, they've made a useless cycle lane even worse.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,769 ✭✭✭✭tomasrojo

Wasn't aware of these Pitlock Pit Stoppers until today. Hamper someone with a hex key from stealing saddles/seat posts/handlebars. Bit like Hexlox, but not keyed; less secure but cheaper:

https://www.bike24.com/p2233237.html

Pretty clever. The inside of the cylinder-like bit that wedges into and fills the head of the hex bolt is reverse threaded, so if you screw the special Pitlock bolt into the cylinder-like bit, it meets the bottom of the head of the hex bolt and starts pushing the cyclinder-like bit out.

Maybe everyone knows about these already, but new to me.

• Registered Users Posts: 22 Strobing

CramCycle wrote: »

Ah, so I imagine that's why we don't see many.

It's a pity, while I can somewhat see why they're not allowed it would be great exposure for racing in Ireland overall. Stumbling across some of the content creators on YT doing it in the US/Amsterdam are what got me into it.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,938 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

Strobing wrote: »
    Ah, so I imagine that's why we don't see many.

It's a pity, while I can somewhat see why they're not allowed it would be great exposure for racing in Ireland overall. Stumbling across some of the content creators on YT doing it in the US/Amsterdam are what got me into it.

Same here, although i prefer the eited ones with commentary, NorCal Cycling is one for the racers, and he also does commentary over other peoples races as well which is pretty good.

Need to buy some of new ICE bracelets, I recall a post about them before but I can't seen to find it. Any recommendations??

does having a great pink gammon head - from going out walking this afternoon for several hours without sunscreen - count as hi-vis?
    asking for a friend.

You must have been out around 1pm ? That was the only time today I felt any real heat from the sun and it was the burn you for sure kind alright.

yeah, wandered around newbridge house estate for a couple of hours and then did the coastal path from corballis to portrane (which felt like being in the west of ireland today)
    cheers to WA for telling me about that, had not known about it till last year.
    also some lovely wildflower meadows along the way now, they're doing some interesting biodiversity projects in st ita's.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,446 ✭✭✭Ryath

Need to buy some of new ICE bracelets, I recall a post about them before but I can't seen to find it. Any recommendations??

Road Id was a popular one. There seems to be a good few companies now from googling.
    https://www.roadid.com/pages/choose-your-wrist-style

I have an Elite one several years it's slim and comfortable. See they have a few more styles now including ones that fit on garmin/fitbit bands looks pretty handy.

yeah, wandered around newbridge house estate for a couple of hours and then did the coastal path from corballis to portrane (which felt like being in the west of ireland today)
    cheers to WA for telling me about that, had not known about it till last year.
    also some lovely wildflower meadows along the way now, they're doing some interesting biodiversity projects in st ita's.

God haven't been to newbridge house since I was at school. Ardgillan is another one I've not been to in yonks. Add Malahide and you are spoiled for choice in NCD for nice big parks. Theres another one I'm thinking of too probably at porttane there ???

EDIT: MB did you notice if the farm was open to the public or not at Newbridge House?

Google appear to be adding more functionality to maps for cycling purposes:

https://blog.google/products/maps/ride-easy-new-biking-features-google-maps/

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,844 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

Google appear to be adding more functionality to maps for cycling purposes:

https://blog.google/products/maps/ride-easy-new-biking-features-google-maps/

Coincidentally I just spotted this on Twitter...
    https://twitter.com/ArranBolger/status/1285705051260977156?s=19

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,995 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

Road ID

https://www.roadid.com/pages/choose-your-wrist-style

Advertisement