Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

La Flamme Rouge **off topic discussion**

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,615 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

• Registered Users Posts: 32,381 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

Anybody ever hear of this?

http://www.irishstatutebook.ie/eli/2004/si/257/made/en/print
    (iv) for Area 10, Work No. 5 to Work No. 9 the following:

“Work No. 5

Construct a stop with bicycle lock-up facility to be known as “Stillorgan stop” to the east of Upper Kilmacud Road Extension and to the south of the Stillorgan Reservoirs in the location shown on Plan No. B-RO 10 C-D Revision A.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,769 ✭✭✭✭tomasrojo

Seems like an exact description of the Stillorgan Luas stop.

I think I'm missing something!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

i see garmin have had a ransomware outbreak; i'd been wondering why it was down yesterday.

Yeah - it appears to be quite serious. Apparently the ransom is 10 million dollars. It could be a while before it's sorted.

I did read a comment on Twitter from a runner who uses Garmin:

"No sign of the criminal who took down Garmin. Apparently he ransomware"

tomasrojo wrote: »
    Seems like an exact description of the Stillorgan Luas stop.

I think I'm missing something!

right, I think it is me that is reading into things that are not there. I had in my mind an indoor lockup up station type thing. Didn't think a bunch of Sheffield stands would have gotten an official name!

• Advertisement

rubadub wrote: »
    right, I think it is me that is reading into things that are not there. I had in my mind an indoor lockup up station type thing. Didn't think a bunch of Sheffield stands would have gotten an official name!
    Yeah, "bicycle lock-up facility" seems to mean "somewhere to lock bikes at or near the Luas stop". So, a bunch of Sheffield stands with no shelter about 10m from the stop itself.

tomasrojo wrote: »
    Yeah, "bicycle lock-up facility" seems to mean "somewhere to lock bikes at or near the Luas stop". So, a bunch of Sheffield stands with no shelter about 10m from the stop itself.
    yeah, I'm an idiot and was definitely reading too much into it! I thought it was some special bike facility was being called the "stillorgan stop"!
    Construct a stop with bicycle lock-up facility to be known as “Stillorgan stop” ”

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,615 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

diarmuid kavanagh's everest on slieve mann, on which he held the irish record for a day.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,995 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

...diarmuid kavanagh's everest on slieve mann, on which he held the irish record for a day.
    He was celebrating in a pub in Laragh when the news came through that he had just been beaten. What a sickener for him.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,252 ✭✭✭CantGetNoSleep

Random question but how do people wash white cycling jerseys?

My club uses both white and black and for whatever reason I never have a clean black jersey on a rainy day. My white stuff is new from the beginning of the year. Normally I do a handwash programme in my washing machine but it just isn't getting the dirt out of the white stuff - brown dots everywhere (just from road spray, not even oil etc). Same with my arm warmers - used them about three times and the stains are not coming out

Anything I can do?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

If your machine has a 40 degree synthetics or delicates wash then use that - the hand wash is probably too gentle.

If you're still stuck use a bit of Vanish soap but go easy - maybe try the inexpensive arm warmers first.

I wash most my cycling stuff in a 30 or 40 degree synthetics wash and never have any problems. I use a tiny amount Persil non-bio liquid in the wash if that's of any help. Never use fabric conditioner.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,442 ✭✭✭LollipopJimmy

My club uses both white and black and for whatever reason I never have a clean black jersey on a rainy day. My white stuff is new from the beginning of the year. Normally I do a handwash programme in my washing machine but it just isn't getting the dirt out of the white stuff - brown dots everywhere (just from road spray, not even oil etc). Same with my arm warmers - used them about three times and the stains are not coming out

Anything I can do?

I leave my kit on the bedroom floor and it miraculously reappears clean in my wardrobe.

On a side note I may buy my OH some flowers tomorrow

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 6,848 Mod ✭✭✭✭eeeee

Anything I can do?

I find Vanish White good. mix it into a paste and rub gently on the white bits, then pop in the wash. I only wash kit at 30, with non bio to preserve it.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,510 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

Hand wash the white kit with fairy liquid first, it's far better at getting grease and such stains out and not nearly as abrasive.

You often only need a tiny drop and then some gentle scrubbing/rubbing with a minimum.amount of water.. Quick rinse and wash as normal.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,484 ✭✭✭manafana

crosstownk wrote: »
    Yeah - it appears to be quite serious. Apparently the ransom is 10 million dollars. It could be a while before it's sorted.

I did read a comment on Twitter from a runner who uses Garmin:

"No sign of the criminal who took down Garmin. Apparently he ransomware"

can't pay a ransom anyway would be against American law to do so.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,484 ✭✭✭manafana

rubadub wrote: »
    yeah, I'm an idiot and was definitely reading too much into it! I thought it was some special bike facility was being called the "stillorgan stop"!

would it not be bike lockers like are at dundrum luas stop

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,269 Mod ✭✭✭✭Chips Lovell

What's with the sudden vogue for handlebar bags? I've used touring in the past, but over the last month or two I've seen no end of people with handlebar bags on road bikes.

And of course, they prompt the same question as people with massive saddle bags. What, exactly, have they got in there?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,938 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

What's with the sudden vogue for handlebar bags? I've used touring in the past, but over the last month or two I've seen no end of people with handlebar bags on road bikes.

And of course, they prompt the same question as people with massive saddle bags. What, exactly, have they got in there?

I used to carry sweets and sandwiches in mine, as well as a map stuck to the top.

• Registered Users Posts: 683 ✭✭✭JazzyJ

Chips.

https://youtu.be/e74xncSCoqw?t=1445

• Registered Users Posts: 8,005 ✭✭✭cletus

JazzyJ wrote: »

Wrong bag :D

Thats a good film, though.

People seem to use them to take the stuff you'd normally put in the back pockets of your jersey, especially if you're less inclined to wear "traditional" road bike gear.

Also, they've become popularised in gravel youtube videos, so it may be a way of standing out from more maistream cycling. "Rides over Races" and so forth

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,994 ✭✭✭c.p.w.g.w

Does the current Garmin thing affect tacx software or hardware?

Shark repellent?

521204.jpeg

(h/t https://twitter.com/LkCycleDesign/status/1265945865891569667)

I've just ordered a handlebar bag myself. Though it's for a touring bike so there is that.

• Registered Users Posts: 937 ✭✭✭Luxman

When people write 'handlebar bag' I read it a 'handbag' :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 683 ✭✭✭JazzyJ

cletus wrote: »
    Wrong bag :D

Thats a good film, though.

I love all the EF gone racing stuff

Vuelta a Burgos streaming here https://www.vueltaburgos.com/es/ could take some loading as it's getting hammered. 25km to go.

Someone posted a link to a UK manufacturer making reasonably priced steel bikes a year or two ago. A mate if mind may be in the market for a reasonably priced steel bike soon, anyone any brands to recommend?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,005 ✭✭✭cletus

Weepsie wrote: »
    I've just ordered a handlebar bag myself. Though it's for a touring bike so there is that.

What did you order, out of interest?

cletus wrote: »
    What did you order, out of interest?

Altura transit alp. Might not use it. Had really good one before but never used it.

• Advertisement

Someone posted a link to a UK manufacturer making reasonably priced steel bikes a year or two ago. A mate if mind may be in the market for a reasonably priced steel bike soon, anyone any brands to recommend?

Crowd up in scotland called Shand. Their prices Have gone up a lot though.

Spa cycles so some of their own stuff.

Hewitt used to have quality touring/audax frames.not sure if they still do

Advertisement