Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

La Flamme Rouge **off topic discussion**

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,004 ✭✭✭cletus

Cough *Rule 24* Cough

This was put to bed a number of months ago when I pointed out that the "century" in cycling directly contravenes this rule

• Registered Users Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭Eamonnator

cletus wrote: »
    This was put to bed a number of months ago when I pointed out that the "century" in cycling directly contravenes this rule

yeah, right!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,004 ✭✭✭cletus

• Registered Users Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

What kind of genius designed the cycle lane from Conyngham Road, on to Parkgate Street and to the Quays???? Inside parked cars where a passenger won't be able to check a mirror before opening a door. The cycle lane from Conyngham Road approaching the park gates looks like a recipe for a left hook.

Cycling that route now requires having more wits about you than before the 'upgrade'.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 6,848 Mod ✭✭✭✭eeeee

crosstownk wrote: »
    What kind of genius designed the cycle lane from Conyngham Road, on to Parkgate Street and to the Quays???? Inside parked cars where a passenger won't be able to check a mirror before opening a door. The cycle lane from Conyngham Road approaching the park gates looks like a recipe for a left hook.

Cycling that route now requires having more wits about you than before the 'upgrade'.

I avoid that absolute mess and cycle on the road. The one from the quays towards the park is awful too. I also avoid. They're always full of shyte too.

• Advertisement

eeeee wrote: »
    I avoid that absolute mess and cycle on the road. The one from the quays towards the park is awful too. I also avoid. They're always full of shyte too.

It's a recent instalment and while I've avoided since it's inception, I gave it a go today.

Never again. In future I'll do as previous - out to the right lane approaching the Dublin Bus garage at the park gates then keep to the right again at the Infirmary Road junction and after that avoid the cycle lane inside the parked cars.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,604 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

parking protected cycle lanes. the idea is that the cyclists are insulated from the traffic by the buffer of the parked cars.
    i suspect one issue is not that the passenger won't be able to check the mirror, more that a passenger is simply not used to checking one.

parking protected cycle lanes. the idea is that the cyclists are insulated from the traffic by the buffer of the parked cars.
    i suspect one issue is not that the passenger won't be able to check the mirror, more that a passenger is simply not used to checking one.

Agreed. The mirror is angled to facilitate the driver. It's not reasonable to expect the passenger to check the near side mirror.

I'd sooner be on the driver's side of a parked car.

Westland Row is the same, I also don't use that one.

Westland Row is the same, I also don't use that one.

I haven't been that way in a few months - has it recently been 'upgraded'?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,604 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

i had seen a design for one up off merrion square, but there was a hatched area roughly equivalent to the width of a door between the cars and the bike lane, to account for that in that design. is that present on parkgate street?

i had seen a design for one up off merrion square, but there was a hatched area roughly equivalent to the width of a door between the cars and the bike lane, to account for that in that design. is that present on parkgate street?

No hatched lines that I recall.

Ok. I don’t remember seeing the hatched lines but the whole section just felt unsettling and wrong.

I haven't been that way in a few months - has it recently been 'upgraded'?
    Yep, I come down Moss Street, turn right then left at the Windjammer. From the Windjammer to Pearse street there's a cycle lane between the footpad ont eh left and parking on the right :rolleyes:

Yep, I come down Moss Street, turn right then left at the Windjammer. From the Windjammer to Pearse street there's a cycle lane between the footpad ont eh left and parking on the right :rolleyes:

Lombard Street? If so I know the set up. Not great.

Lombard Street? If so I know the set up. Not great.

Lombard street that's it, before Westland Row.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,081 ✭✭✭buffalo

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,450 ✭✭✭Harrybelafonte

If the last six months have taught us anything, it's that human beings cannot necessarily be relied upon to understand rules, nor implement them properly. Whether via lack of thought or cynical ignorance. Administrations need to learn to convey messages as clearly as possible in a manner that the even the less educated lay person can understand, while enforcing these changes and punishing rule breakers on a "scale of severity" basis.

At the same time, these constant band aid efforts do not have any effect but to alienate those not the target of "improvements". A holistic approach is required, enforcement of current rules, improvements in public transport nationally, efforts to draw people away from reliance on cars, especially in urban areas, etc.

I like my cars and always have, but trying to talk to many people about restricting car use is like finding yourself in the middle of the helmet debate here or sometimes even gun law debates. They eventually become a debate about people's rights, exposing the usual ignorance of what rights aim to do, i.e. human rights aim to secure for individuals the necessary conditions for leading a minimally good life.

Remove many of the core arguments against lower car ownership, like improvements in public transport, for example, and these debates begin to revolve around more obviously selfish reasoning, "I want a car so I should have a car".

I know forcing through a smoking ban was originally thought by many to be a bad idea and became accepted as the norm, but that involved pushing a rule on a minority. These changes are now being made to push a majority away from a mindset that has existed in this country for decades (a debate for another day) and as has been shown before, the more you force opinions on people, the more they knuckle down with them.

The lockdown brought a vision of the possible world we could have, bar the lack of commerce, etc, and many people felt the benefits of it, and it feels already like it was a fleeting vision and we're doomed now to exist in the worst of both worlds, the shyte that is Covid and the chaos of the old normal.

I like my cars and always have
    fun experiment - just try saying 'i hate SUVs' to an average joe.
    i've tried it a couple of times, it's gas how annoyed some people get. 'you want to ban SUVs!' 'I have a right to drive whatever car i want' yadda yadda.

• Advertisement

fun experiment - just try saying 'i hate SUVs' to an average joe.
    i've tried it a couple of times, it's gas how annoyed some people get. 'you want to ban SUVs!' 'I have a right to drive whatever car i want' yadda yadda.

Agree. I've been part of the "car scene" for a very long time as many on this forum have been. The two are not mutually exclusive. I'm also a vegan and would consider myself a "tree hugger", so I get sh!t on by both sides of the argument.

cyclist *and* a vegan? you must be a masochist.

cyclist *and* a vegan? you must be a masochist.

Aren't all cyclists?

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,269 Mod ✭✭✭✭Chips Lovell

Changed the car last year to a model from a brand whose drivers would not be held in terribly high regard by many other road users. A friend gently inquired if I was not worried about people thinking I was a p***k. I replied that as a cyclist, everybody already thinks I'm a p***k.

my father in law recently changed his car to what can only be described as a boat. BMW 740LD, i.e. long wheelbase model. though now i think about it, it could be a 735.

anyway, it's *enormous*. i'm not exactly lanky, but i can sit in the back with my legs almost fully outstretched.
    beats the car his son had for a while, a 911 carrera 4, where i could fit in the back only if i sat sideways.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,494 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

Changed the car last year to a model from a brand whose drivers would not be held in terribly high regard by many other road users. A friend gently inquired if I was not worried about people thinking I was a p***k. I replied that as a cyclist, everybody already thinks I'm a p***k.

You got an audi?

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,833 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

I replied that as a cyclist, everybody already thinks I'm a p***k.
    Au contraire, I often find when out for a spin that people admire my choice of exercise/transport and beep their horns in support when they're passing. Some even want to get close so they can read the speed on my Garmin.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,494 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

my father in law recently changed his car to what can only be described as a boat. BMW 740LD, i.e. long wheelbase model. though now i think about it, it could be a 735.

anyway, it's *enormous*. i'm not exactly lanky, but i can sit in the back with my legs almost fully outstretched.
    beats the car his son had for a while, a 911 carrera 4, where i could fit in the back only if i sat sideways.

Diesel engine? Didn't you state before he wasn't too fond of cyclists. Is he trying to tell you something

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,269 Mod ✭✭✭✭Chips Lovell

Bingo

• Advertisement

Weepsie wrote: »
    Diesel engine? Didn't you state before he wasn't too fond of cyclists. Is he trying to tell you something
    oh, he's reformed now because he arranged a charity cycle.
    'i was talking to some of them afterwards, they're perfectly normal people'.

actual quote.

Advertisement