Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

La Flamme Rouge **off topic discussion**

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,442 ✭✭✭LollipopJimmy

my father in law recently changed his car to what can only be described as a boat. BMW 740LD, i.e. long wheelbase model. though now i think about it, it could be a 735.

anyway, it's *enormous*. i'm not exactly lanky, but i can sit in the back with my legs almost fully outstretched.
    beats the car his son had for a while, a 911 carrera 4, where i could fit in the back only if i sat sideways.

With those they tend to be designed around the rear passenger having the most comfortable experience, even to the detriment of the driver. You should point out to him that he's technically a chauffeur now

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,494 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

Au contraire, I often find when out for a spin that people admire my choice of exercise/transport and beep their horns in support when they're passing. Some even want to get close so they can read the speed on my Garmin.

I have sometime in the last 2-3 years started giving a nod or wave to nearly every car that passes me when out in the wilds. In ym strictly anecdotal, and not academic studies, I feel like it disengages them a bit (or maybe engages them) to pause and take that wee bit of caution we all ask for. Often get a bip or the 2 hazard flashes of approval now.

That's not to say it always works, but in my head I think there's something in it. They don't see a cyclist, they see a person on a bike.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,769 ✭✭✭✭tomasrojo

buffalo wrote: »

I saw that, and, leaving aside the punchline, it's strangely framed, as if the intolerances it mentions are one-way: Remainers are intolerant of Leavers, but not the other way round; vegetarians are intolerant of meat eaters, but not the other way round. I spent more time thinking about this than the punchline.

buffalo wrote: »

Tom Lehrer was decades ahead of the curve noticing the outrage everywhere

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,450 ✭✭✭Harrybelafonte

tomasrojo wrote: »
    I saw that, and, leaving aside the punchline, it's strangely framed, as if the intolerances it mentions are one-way: Remainers are intolerant of Leavers, but not the other way round; vegetarians are intolerant of meat eaters, but not the other way round. I spent more time thinking about this than the punchline.

You're treating intolerance as fundamentally wrong, which I don't believe it is. You need to examine the root of the intolerance while considering Karl Popper's tolerance paradox.

This growing concept that intolerance of things such as racism is equally as destructive as the intolerances represented by racism is farcical

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,604 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

With those they tend to be designed around the rear passenger having the most comfortable experience, even to the detriment of the driver. You should point out to him that he's technically a chauffeur now
    that's pretty much what the car was originally bought for - his brother in law ran a security business which offered this as a service. he bought the car from his brother S/H.

You're treating intolerance as fundamentally wrong, which I don't believe it is. You need to examine the root of the intolerance while considering Karl Popper's tolerance paradox.

This growing concept that intolerance of things such as racism is equally as destructive as the intolerances represented by racism is farcical

I'm not really talking about intolerance generally, just the set-up for the joke. The example of Remainers being intolerant of Leavers rather ignores that it equally goes the other way. Ardent Leavers are openly contemptuous of Remainers in the UK, and until recently spent quite a lot of time goading them about how they lost and should get over it, and making out that they were unpatriotic. Equally, dismissive cracks about vegetarians are two-a-penny.

Anyway, it's not very important; it's only a joke, but it's interesting how in the ostensibly neutral set-up for the punchline the joke's author gives away quite a bit about their world-view.

tomasrojo wrote: »
    I'm not really talking about intolerance generally, just the set-up for the joke. The example of Remainers being intolerant of Leavers rather ignores that it equally goes the other way. Ardent Leavers are openly contemptuous of Remainers in the UK, and until recently spent quite a lot of time goading them about how they lost and should get over it, and making out that they were unpatriotic. Equally, dismissive cracks about vegetarians are two-a-penny.

Anyway, it's not very important; it's only a joke, but it's interesting how in the ostensibly neutral set-up for the punchline the joke's author gives away quite a bit about their world-view.

No such thing as "only a joke" for the exact reason highlighted. Anyway, I've had a lot of coffee so I'll go off on one about this if not careful, so I'll leave it there.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,813 ✭✭✭Large bottle small glass

Nice cafe attached to a bike workshop.

Full time 1 yr bike design and build course about to be launched. Limerick based.

No to decide on whether to get my father's 1948 Rudge fixed, not cheap but it'll be like new

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,936 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

fun experiment - just try saying 'i hate SUVs' to an average joe.
    i've tried it a couple of times, it's gas how annoyed some people get. 'you want to ban SUVs!' 'I have a right to drive whatever car i want' yadda yadda.

I drive an SUV but am very aware of the fact that it is wildly inappropriate as a vehicle for driving around town (or most places). My only defense is that when I do drive I am typically transporting 5 other people and 3 dogs.

• Advertisement

CramCycle wrote: »
    I drive an SUV but am very aware of the fact that it is wildly inappropriate as a vehicle for driving around town (or most places). My only defense is that when I do drive I am typically transporting 5 other people and 3 dogs.

In fairness there are a number of viable reasons for driving an SUV. Hoe you drive it is more important than what you drive, maybe? I've to go car hunting again cos my son has breached the six foot mark and looks to continue the spurt for awhile and he can't fit in the back of the current estate (leg room sacrificed for boot space) so I've to go looking for something bigger again.

Like how would we get to races otherwise?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,604 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

one of my german colleagues is just back from a road trip to northern italy with his friend who runs a bike shop. part of the trip was a tour of the wilier factory, and sascha was saying that the warehouse was empty bar maybe six bikes.

I wonder how restrictions on Chinese imports are effecting companies?

the main reason for their trip was a chap somewhere in northern italy was selling a private bike collection, some *very* tasty 70s and 80s stuff, but he cancelled meeting them twice, citing an ill mother.
    however, when in the wilier factory, they mentioned this and the chap they were meeting there rang an old guy who lived in the village where the factory is. this old guy called up and was able to tell them, from looking at the photos, that at least two of the bikes the chap was selling were not genuine; excellent respray jobs with genuine finishing kit, but not the frames they purported to be.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,442 ✭✭✭LollipopJimmy

The cyclist involved in the hit and run this week has passed away this morning.

How low does a person have to be to run from an accident and leave a person dying in the street

• Registered Users Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭Eamonnator

Bingo

Welcome to the club.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,484 ✭✭✭manafana

The cyclist involved in the hit and run this week has passed away this morning.

How low does a person have to be to run from an accident and leave a person dying in the street

far too common, and pretty much see hit and run drivers across the spectrum of society class. Awful, in general our road deaths are a hanging shame on us, another two over night in two separate road incidents. Including one pedestrian who had run in with "a car". Driver only gets mention to say he is unharmed.

i read somewhere that it was four teenagers who bought an unregistered banger. i assume that if this info is true, they have a lead.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,833 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

According to RTE, "A car with no tax, insurance or NCT came along at speed and knocked him down."
    The article also says: "Gardaí say they are making good progress in the investigation into the fatal hit-and-run as they seek to identify those involved."
    Hopefully it is not too long before they catch the bástards!

https://www.rte.ie/news/dublin/2020/0902/1162759-cyclist-dies-following-hit-and-run-incident-in-dublin/

So going by RTE's wording, the car was responsible for not having tax, insurance or NCT and was responsible for its speed?

• Advertisement

Weepsie wrote: »
    So going by RTE's wording, the car was responsible for not having tax, insurance or NCT and was responsible for its speed?

In fairness, it's difficult to phrase it when no details are know about the driver or other occupants bar that it was obviously driven and that the driver clearly left the scene.

I know working of articles is an emotive topic here, but I don't think the same criticism is due here as would be when reporting a court case where all details are available.

I got the frame-lock plug-in version of this:
    https://twitter.com/thebestbikelock/status/1301209785975570432

It's surprisingly good. Two stars from ART, so about as good as the much heavier 9mm AXA plug-in steel chains. Wouldn't rely on it as a primary lock (same as I wouldn't rely on the AXA plug-in steel chain as a primary lock), but it's really light and easy to use, and seems to be a good secondary lock. Bit pricey, but I already have a pretty hefty lock, so wanted something useful but light to supplement it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,446 ✭✭✭Ryath

Working from home has lost it's shine now the kids aren't here during the day :(

I grew to love the chaos of the routine we had going. I get to cycle in the mornings again to drop the youngest off at pre-school which she loves but once we get there she does a legger to her teacher and new little pals.

Was chatting to one parent who was whinging about not being able to leave the buggy there due to covid restrictions and had to put it back in the car all of 200m away and I know her to see, so also know she lives lest than 2km by road and even shorter if she walked from the school ffs. " I don't have that problem" nods towards bike :pac:

EDIT: Salt in the wound when I mention she was able keep her helmet there lol.

A woman in my neighbourhood drives about 100m to the local school. There's even a traffic-free and gob****e-free alleyway that goes straight from her house to the school, but she drives out off her side road, onto the road around the periphery of the estate and down to the school.

It's her business, but I can't see any reason for it. Except that I did say once (before I knew she drove there) that it was very handy to be in walking distance, and when she replied that it rains a lot in Dublin, I surmised, correctly, that she had no intention of ever walking there.

i was in decathlon the other day and they had a van rysel on display for 2 grand, seemed to be well specced; carbon frame, zondas, potenza groupset. i'm not someone who has used campagnolo before, so it had a slight air of exoticness to it. until i put my hands on the bars and tried to change the gears on the bike to bring it back to where the chain line was.
    the shifters were unbearably flimsy and plastic feeling, and this is a groupset priced to match ultegra? if tiagra felt that flimsy i'd have been surprised.

Zip puller on one of my jackets broke off (zip still fine), so I took an old chain and bodged a new one .

Couldn't get the pin itself back on, but if I can find an old quick link I'll stick that on instead.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 6,848 Mod ✭✭✭✭eeeee

Working from home has lost it's shine now the kids aren't here during the day :(
    I grew to love the chaos of the routine we had going. I get to cycle in the mornings again to drop the youngest off at pre-school which she loves but once we get there she does a legger to her teacher and new little pals.

<snip>

Aw that's adorable (all of it!).

I have hated working from home from day one. In think it'll be next year before we're back. :( It does save a headwind all the way into work. That said I miss it, even the snow :o

Her new little pals, awwwwwww!

• Registered Users Posts: 24,995 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

Weepsie wrote: »
    Zip puller on one of my jackets broke off (zip still fine), so I took an old chain and bodged a new one .

Couldn't get the pin itself back on, but if I can find an old quick link I'll stick that on instead.
    Why not use a paperclip like everyone else?

• Advertisement

Why not use a paperclip like everyone else?

I actually did use a paper clip initially, but felt it a bit flimsy. The clip cut to size might've better for securing it though

Advertisement