Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

La Flamme Rouge **off topic discussion**

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,398 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

i was in decathlon the other day and they had a van rysel on display for 2 grand, seemed to be well specced; carbon frame, zondas, potenza groupset. i'm not someone who has used campagnolo before, so it had a slight air of exoticness to it. until i put my hands on the bars and tried to change the gears on the bike to bring it back to where the chain line was.
    the shifters were unbearably flimsy and plastic feeling, and this is a groupset priced to match ultegra? if tiagra felt that flimsy i'd have been surprised.

reminds me of a xenon groupset i had. the brake levers were plastic horrible things, the bike ended up with shimano 600 brakes and xenon gears (i couldnt afford record at the time !) downtube shifters in case any is wondering !

top end campag is fine but the lower end atuff always seems a bit cheap

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,833 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

• Registered Users Posts: 17,943 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

Wow Limerick drivers do not like people who take the lane, honking all over the place at me. No other safe option though, it's flat and fast cycling with heavy traffic and roundabouts. Great surfaces though, the roads are flawless.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,442 ✭✭✭LollipopJimmy

Why not use a paperclip like everyone else?

Nothing wrong with over engineering.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,604 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 781 ✭✭✭Mr. Grieves

Judging by the state of the trails in Ticknock, the rain over the last couple of weeks was much worse than the rain we typically get in the winter.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,604 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

we had flooding in august i think three or four years ago too; our garden flooded more significantly then than it did over the last few days.
    that said, i don't live out west.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

Speaking of flooding, Lisheen Road has been flooded quite a lot lately. There was some digging done in the ditch on the golf course side of the road recently and since then the road floods regularly for several days following heavy rain. If it stays that way it'll be treacherous in winter months.

• Registered Users Posts: 545 ✭✭✭lissard

I went out for a spin around the Leadmines a day or so after the really heavy rain last week. There were rivers flowing across the roads - the amount of water coming off the hills was really something. I guess the ground is properly saturated.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,398 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 822 ✭✭✭devonp

crosstownk wrote: »
    Speaking of flooding, Lisheen Road has been flooded quite a lot lately. There was some digging done in the ditch on the golf course side of the road recently and since then the road floods regularly for several days following heavy rain. If it stays that way it'll be treacherous in winter months.

on last weekends spin...it was dry except for big floods on the above ...right across the road in several patches :(

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,936 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

Just stopped for a coffee when a kid having brekkie with his mum looks at my bike, turns to his mum and says, "I want a bike like that when I grow up". I sit there quietly smug with my bike.

• Registered Users Posts: 937 ✭✭✭Luxman

CramCycle wrote: »
    Just stopped for a coffee when a kid having brekkie with his mum looks at my bike, turns to his mum and says, "I want a bike like that when I grow up". I sit there quietly smug with my bike.

Sitting all smug is the wrong answer. Right answer “sure kid take mine”

Luxman wrote: »
    Sitting all smug is the wrong answer. Right answer “sure kid take mine”

He had his own bike with stabilisers and race number plate on the front so it might have been a hard sell. Mine was also slightly too big for him.

written by a former DCC planner.

Covid-19 brings with it some good for certain European cities – but not Dublin

https://www.irishtimes.com/opinion/covid-19-brings-with-it-some-good-for-certain-european-cities-but-not-dublin-1.4347976

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,494 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

Mad you only mentiomed them to me earlier. Never heard of them

Pat Kennys tweet (well his sm team) was disgraceful. Calling the new cycling infrastructure a 'declaration of war against motorists'. That kind of language just fuels the fire of the us V them problems

• Registered Users Posts: 9,190 ✭✭✭RobertFoster

We currently have access to 98% of the road network, and these uppity cyclists are trying to knock that down to 97%! It's an act of war!

* I've no source on those made up numbers

We currently have access to 98% of the road network, and these uppity cyclists are trying to knock that down to 97%! It's an act of war!

* I've no source on those made up numbers

You're not far wrong I'd say

• Advertisement

Working from home has lost it's shine now the kids aren't here during the day :(

I am thankfully the opposite. All through lockdown I was working in the lab, on my own most of the time so I didn't see the family as much as I should have. Now that school has returned I have made a conscious decision to leave everyday to pick him up. I am working the paperwork stuff later and starting earlier but I hope it can continue.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,332 ✭✭✭secman

lissard wrote: »
    I went out for a spin around the Leadmines a day or so after the really heavy rain last week. There were rivers flowing across the roads - the amount of water coming off the hills was really something. I guess the ground is properly saturated.

I think there is a water pipe leaking just at the first house on the left as you're approaching the n81, been there weeks now.

CramCycle wrote: »
    I am thankfully the opposite. All through lockdown I was working in the lab, on my own most of the time so I didn't see the family as much as I should have. Now that school has returned I have made a conscious decision to leave everyday to pick him up. I am working the paperwork stuff later and starting earlier but I hope it can continue.

My partner was in exactly your position pretty much and it killed her, was a massive strain on her. The schools going back and us working out new routine of the eldest returning, the youngest starting and who gets them there and back has been great for us this week and last.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

secman wrote: »
    I think there is a water pipe leaking just at the first house on the left as you're approaching the n81, been there weeks now.

That's where it's coming from alright - I passed it yesterday.

It appears to be just inside the SDCC boundary. I'll do a fix my street and see if anything happens.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,918 ✭✭✭De Bhál

I note in the Tirreno-Adriatico race, the riders don't have a mask on for the interviews, as opposed to the TDF where everyone has them on bar when racing. Must be different rules!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,769 ✭✭✭✭tomasrojo

Really dickish:
    https://twitter.com/onthenickel/status/1303620513860931584

(Wasn't sure who the man with the beard was at first.)

shaun ryder.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,450 ✭✭✭Harrybelafonte

The English, never not at it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,010 ✭✭✭velo.2010

Wiggins is a bellend.

On a lighter note. Just flicking through the channels and saw Toadie and Karl Kennedy on Neighbours in full cycling kit. Toadie rocking the Santini gear and Karl decked out in a Giant gilet and matching blue Shimano casquette... noice.

• Advertisement

Saw a piece on RTE news there about Rotary Ireland collecting old bikes to send to Africa.

https://www.rte.ie/news/regional/2020/0909/1164090-bikes-for-gambia/

List of drops off here, strangely none listed for Dublin which you'd imagine they'd do quite well in.

https://www.rotary-ribi.org/districts/page.php?PgID=474984&DistrictNo=1160

Advertisement