Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

La Flamme Rouge **off topic discussion**

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,450 ✭✭✭Harrybelafonte

Saw a piece on RTE news there about Rotary Ireland collecting old bikes to send to Africa.

https://www.rte.ie/news/regional/2020/0909/1164090-bikes-for-gambia/

List of drops off here, strangely none listed for Dublin which you'd imagine they'd do quite well in.

https://www.rotary-ribi.org/districts/page.php?PgID=474984&DistrictNo=1160

Donegal not on the list either, but the Letterkenny Rotary club defo did this before in partnership with Donegal Co Co

BTW, note the point they make at the end, no racers. Tough bikes in decent condition.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,599 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

"Tá an rothar banjaxed" was better when he crashed on day one.

Can I recommend people watch the Tour on TG4 instead of Eurosport for the foreseeable, at least until an apology is issued? And let Eurosport know if you choose to do so.

There’ll eventually be a backlash about whether his comments re Sam Bennett constitute casual racism, but insulting Sean Kelly, a hero in international cycling and a Eurosport stalwart, in that manner, is inexcusable.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,080 ✭✭✭buffalo

Can I recommend people watch the Tour on TG4 instead of Eurosport for the foreseeable, at least until an apology is issued? And let Eurosport know if you choose to do so.

There’ll eventually be a backlash about whether his comments re Sam Bennett constitute casual racism, but insulting Sean Kelly, a hero in international cycling and a Eurosport stalwart, in that manner, is inexcusable.

What did Kelly say about it?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,599 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

afterwards, he gave bradley wiggins a wedgie the likes of which only sean kelly can deliver.

buffalo wrote: »
    What did Kelly say about it?

In relation to Bennett he said: “You’re not going to claim him”

But I’m not sure how he reacted to the second comment

"We spoke to him [Bennett] at the Vuelta last year when he came on our show, and at least we can understand what he’s saying. We can’t really understand what you’re saying Sean, can we?”

In relation to Bennett he said: “You’re not going to claim him”

But I’m not sure how he reacted to the second comment

"We spoke to him [Bennett] at the Vuelta last year when he came on our show, and at least we can understand what he’s saying. We can’t really understand what you’re saying Sean, can we?”

So we should all start a boycott based on your interpretation of something one man said to another man, without the other man apparently even taking offence?

i've asked daniel lloyd on twitter if there was any followup:

https://twitter.com/JSWeetabix/status/1303980560117895168

• Registered Users Posts: 2,116 ✭✭✭Peterx

Picked up a boardman cxr 8.9 cyclocross secondhand. For anyone else who does the same you'll soon be needing a freehub. And if you let it fall over you'll need a dropout.

The stock formula wheels have a freehub which you cannot easily take apart and which itself falls apart internally.
    Took a punt on one from d'internet based on the picture and it fits perfectly.
    This one - "Sram Spare Parts Nucleo 406 Bolas" I presume other ones also fit. I bought it here
    https://www.bikeinn.com/bike/sram-spare-parts-nucleo-406-bolas/136336048/p?utm_source=transaccional&utm_medium=coinns&utm_content=bikeinn#comentario_producto

The dropout is also very weak. I found the spare as "Rear Gear Mech Derailleur Hanger - CC116 - Black" on https://www.rearmechhanger.com/?s=cc116

Apart from that it's a perfect commuter. Relatively cheap, ugly and heavy, made of metal, takes pannier racks and has hard gears and easy gears.

I did visit Halfords asking about spares but that was akin to a comedy sketch. €91 for the freehub after I explained I wasn't holding a BB, and no idea at all about the dropout. This is a bike they sell..

• Advertisement

buffalo wrote: »
    So we should all start a boycott based on your interpretation of something one man said to another man, without the other man apparently even taking offence?

If you want to read it that way, that’s cool. It’s not my reading of it.

I believe I recommended switching to TG4 which I thought was a decent compromise

However, in the grander scheme of things, I don’t think there’s much sense in only taking a negative view of something if the subject of the comments does so. Surely we’re allowed our own limits in these situations based on our reading of the motivation for the comments or otherwise?

I also don’t know how SK reacted. That isn’t evidence of his taking offence or not taking offence.

FWIW, i don't think you need to take SK's reaction into account in deciding whether or not you'll find a different channel to watch.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,491 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

On he Kelly thing. Whereas I agree wiggins is a prat, there have been more than enough posts on these threads that whimsically / playfully mocked how Kelly has a habit of mangling/pronouncing certain names and words.

I think it's a stretch to call it casual racism though when it's well established on that Kelly has a gloriously thick accent that people revel in sometimes trying to deciphers.childish yes, and he needs to drop the persona, but that's all.

Imo anyway

true, but this is a discussion forum. that was live telly.

true, but this is a discussion forum. that was live telly.

Taken in isolation that may have been true but Wiggins did the colonialist classic where he viewed someone as more viably British as they were, in his opinion, better spoken, where as the sometimes unintelligible co-presenter and the rest of “you lot” were definitely Irish.

He didn’t call him a Paddy or a Tadhg which is clearly racist, but definitely pushed into the realm of casual racism.

At the same time, It’d be ludicrous to ponder whether his outburst was primarily from anger and frustration that the British don’t have a serious contender in the Tour this year. That’d be pure unfounded speculation. Wink wink

• Registered Users Posts: 1,813 ✭✭✭Large bottle small glass

I had to look up old Kelly interviews to check was my memory correct, Kelly certainly has changed how he speaks on tv, whether that was as a result of becoming more comfortable/less suspicious of reporters or jst something he worked on I don't know. The insult might have cut but I know they have some interaction away from the cameras. Barry Meehan certainly had stuff on his blog over the years about Wiggins/Kelly so who knows

We struggle in Waterford with the letters r and a. Vanderaranden isn't easy to say!

Which or whether this interview is great.

One or two questions to his wife and I was wondering was Kelly going to leap across the table.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A8ePZ_yH4BY

On racism did Luke Rowe not shout "Paddy" at Bennet the other day? around 37/38 secs.

https://twitter.com/LeTour/status/1303373817771962368?s=20

• Registered Users Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

Anyone else having Strava problems today?

Today’s spin isn’t showing in my feed. I can see it using the training log or via the ‘Your ride is ready to view’ notification. The date of the spin is correct but a quick check of a segment and the date is different.

2FSRwP.md.png

Maybe my Garmin has f*cked up again.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,442 ✭✭✭LollipopJimmy

Quick spin at lunch out to Howth and back, Leo Burdocks seem to be an odd business. Between them driving over the bollards daily in Rathmines and today in Howth theor shop is packed with all inside tables occupied, no social distancing going on inside.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,935 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

Blackrock is on ITV4 as an example of the good that can be done during the pandemic on the Tour de France coverage

• Registered Users Posts: 4,343 ✭✭✭Daroxtar

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,343 ✭✭✭Daroxtar

• Registered Users Posts: 17,773 ✭✭✭✭keane2097

keane2097 wrote: »
    It's kind of amusing clicking back to the OP of this thread where it was about lamenting the tour of UAE being shortened by two stages and we're now onto 'how to make your own wildlife pond' :pac:

How are the ponds going?

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,827 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

• Registered Users Posts: 1,585 ✭✭✭Mickiemcfist

Really, really jealous of that garage he has!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,769 ✭✭✭✭tomasrojo

Sold Secure have added a "Diamond" rating to their lock classification. Better than "Gold", basically:
    http://thebestbikelock.com/best-bike-lock/sold-secure-diamond-bike-locks-the-list/

• Registered Users Posts: 14,398 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

is when garmin figures go from black on white to white on black the time to put your lights on ?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,935 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

is when garmin figures go from black on white to white on black the time to put your lights on ?

On Wahoo it means you're going too slow, just saying.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

The display colour changes as you describe at sunset and change back again at sunrise. You can switch the feature off in settings if prefer but as you say, it's a handy reminder to turn on the lights.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,138 ✭✭✭Hodors Appletart

hello cyclers!

just had my B2W signed off by HR and the company finance dept

just waiting for the money to clear to the bike shop now

hope to be on the road soon, I don't like walking so the main point of the bike is to supplement my new diet and fitness regime

• Advertisement

Consultation open for a contra-flow bike track on Parnell Square East, going from top of O'Connell St along North Frederick St: https://consultation.dublincity.ie/traffic-and-transport/parnell-square-east-contraflow/

edit: one concern would be that it encourages the contra-flow cyclists to cross the Luas tracks at quite an oblique angle, rather than perpendicular.

Advertisement