Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

La Flamme Rouge **off topic discussion**

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,970 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

this isn't great either, why not have a parking-protected lane here?

image.png

• Registered Users Posts: 8,138 ✭✭✭dinneenp

Not a chance! (even though it's probably not as dangerous as it looks).
    From The Atlantic photos of the week

original.jpg

I see Sam Bennett has a plan to get over the climbs in that shot ^

Team for the mens elite wolrds announced.

https://www.stickybottle.com/latest-news/cycling-ireland-says-four-riders-not-six-will-ride-world-road-champs/

Not seeing the logic in entering Healy here at this point of is career, doesn't that bar him from under 23 in the future? The only reason I can see for it is they are sticking to the same selection criteria as the euro's and only sending riders not based or currently in Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,994 ✭✭✭c.p.w.g.w

Team for the mens elite wolrds announced.

https://www.stickybottle.com/latest-news/cycling-ireland-says-four-riders-not-six-will-ride-world-road-champs/

Not seeing the logic in entering Healy here at this point of is career, doesn't that bar him from under 23 in the future? The only reason I can see for it is they are sticking to the same selection criteria as the euro's and only sending riders not based or currently in Ireland.

Gutted for Dunbar, I'd imagine the route might have suited him... certainly not a course for Sam...but the green jersey will do just fine for Sam

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,599 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

driving home on the N2 near balrath this evening at 11pm or so, we passed a cyclist heading northbound. front light was well bright enough for him to be seen, but i don't know how well for him to see by. i hate cycling that road during the day, it cannot be fun in the pitch dark.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 6,848 Mod ✭✭✭✭eeeee

• Registered Users Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

eeeee wrote: »

I watched all three episodes. Really good. Imagine if every driver/cyclist/pedestrian was as chilled and sensible.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 6,848 Mod ✭✭✭✭eeeee

crosstownk wrote: »
    I watched all three episodes. Really good. Imagine if every driver/cyclist/pedestrian was as chilled and sensible.

They're great aren't they?

Someday!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,599 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

when i am king, all cars will have mandatory brian eno piped into them.

• Advertisement

which reminds me; the other day i was wondering might brian eno and bernard hinault be distant cousins.

Was out for groceries earlier this evening and it seems every boy racer this side of the country decided to show up at the retail park in Drogheda, must have been about 150 cars and twice as many people at least. One squad car sat there watching them.

Old dear behind me in the queue quipped to the husband that a certain measurement wouldn't amount to much combined and the whole queue was in stitches "they would have a foot between them" was the exact observation from that sage old dear :D

my wife goes horseriding and i would regularly throw the bike in the boot, drive her out, and head out from the stables.
    my wife was once talking to the 80 year old mother of the woman who owns the stables, who said to her of my cycling, 'i don't know how he does it, that saddle on the bike he has would cut your fanny in two'.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,442 ✭✭✭LollipopJimmy

I think Texas Chicken in Crumlin was discussed here a while back when they closed down due to Shopping Centre being renovated, seems they've opened back up over on Glasnevin Avenue, their food is horrific but Jesus Christ the gravy, I would actually bathe in it.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,381 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

Jesus Christ the gravy, I would actually bathe in it.
    a lad I know raves about it, "super chips!", nowhere near me unfortunately. KFC are meant to make gravy from the scrap bits at the bottom of the deep fat friers, I would say this is similar, with plenty of MSG (which I love)

92024232_2535953336671891_6272514318051311616_o.jpg?_nc_cat=102&_nc_sid=730e14&_nc_ohc=1pMlJ4X_uYwAX88CQX4&_nc_ht=scontent-dub4-1.xx&oh=c35a262d310d65ccf34ce54e10e07041&oe=5F8D1894

What can I get ya bud?

One bath of gravy my good man.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,442 ✭✭✭LollipopJimmy

What can I get ya bud?

One bath of gravy my good man.

You may laugh, but this stuff has legend status :D

• Registered Users Posts: 681 ✭✭✭wheelo01

526978.jpg

What would we have done without him?

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,829 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

• Registered Users Posts: 6,458 ✭✭✭lennymc

wheelo01 wrote: »

What would we have done without him?

got wet.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,817 ✭✭✭marvin80

With all the attention cycling in Ireland is getting because of Sam Bennett, the large number of bikes sold in Ireland in the last few months and the slight improvement in infrastructure for cycling, Cycling Ireland have another opportunity to promote the sport and get more people involved.

When there was a cycling boom 10 years ago or so we had things like the An Post series which I was thought was fantastic for newbies to cycling.
    However, interest waned the last few years in cycling in Ireland in general.

I've no idea how Cycling Ireland promote it again and sustain interest but I hope there successful in whatever they attempt.

The higher numbers we have involved in cycling in the long term the more likely cycling will get sufficient funding for things like the Velodrome and also sponsorship for things like the Rás.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,918 ✭✭✭De Bhál

anyone know an Irish supplier of the little USB rubber cover on the back of a Garmin 520. Ripped mine off.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

De Bhál wrote: »
    anyone know an Irish supplier of the little USB rubber cover on the back of a Garmin 520. Ripped mine off.

Given it's location you'll probably be fine without it. I think the 520 is IPX7 so it'll survive being submerged in one metre of water for 30 minutes.

Maybe stick a lump of Blu Tack as a temporary solution.

https://twitter.com/SamMcCormack97/status/1308477743173185536

now i'm wondering what the insurance cover would usually cost for a bike share scheme.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,491 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

That it requires insurance is silly

Hmmm maybe to protect against a failure of the bike causing injury? Anything else , potholes, bad driving/cycling, user running a red etc should not be a liability to the service provider surely?

Yeah, I can only think of failure of the bike being an issue? Unless there is some reason they have to take responsibility for the actions of the customers?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,450 ✭✭✭Harrybelafonte

Public Liability Insurance, at a minimum. Theft, vandalism, etc?

• Advertisement

walking home earlier after going for a coffee and a stretch of the legs, we passed a chap in a van parked completely on the footpath, and blocking it entirely, outside a filling station. he didn't take kindly to our gestures that he should not be parked there.
    the funny thing was a garda in a car pulled into the station, popped into the shop, and drove back out with nary a glance at the van, till i flagged the garda down and asked him to do something about it. which he did, to be fair.

Advertisement