Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

La Flamme Rouge **off topic discussion**

Options

Comments

US nationals live on youtube https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dpzlhEFaS7E

• Registered Users Posts: 1,817 ✭✭✭marvin80

Doing a sportive yesterday, chatting away to a lad, tipping along but you could see he was getting tired. After a while he was dead on his feet.
    He was on my wheel but even that only helped a small bit.

Anything else I can do to help in a situation like that?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭Eamonnator

US nationals live on youtube https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dpzlhEFaS7E

How is Chris doing?

Eamonnator wrote: »
    How is Chris doing?

No sign of him though the course and heat seem to have taken prisoners small bunch left and most with very visible salt lines on the darker jerseys.
    Larry Warbasse
    is still there though.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 6,848 Mod ✭✭✭✭eeeee

They haven't said what the time to the break is, do you know Enfliade?

I really hope LW makes good on that stupid bike.

• Advertisement

nee wrote: »
    They haven't said what the time to the break is, do you know Enfliade?

I really hope LW makes good on that stupid bike.

About
    4 minutes
    really annoying the lack of a ticker.

In other National Championships news
    Peter Sagan
    won his.

These can be interesting races as you can get to see them ride in a totally different way they normally would. Then you have the French ones where you have a line of 15 or 16 FDJ riders controlling the race. Not sure what you can do about that, I mean if you're of the nationality you're entitled to race and FDJ have a lot of French riders.

In other National Championships news
    Peter Sagan
    won his.

These can be interesting races as you can get to see them ride in a totally different way they normally would. Then you have the French ones where you have a line of 15 or 16 FDJ riders controlling the race. Not sure what you can do about that, I mean if you're of the nationality you're entitled to race and FDJ have a lot of French riders.

Australia can have the same problem with Orica, particularly in the women's races. Although their hegemony has been broken a few times.

Sammy B v Ryan Mullen for ours, amongst others riding them. I'm rooting for Sammy B!
    Hard to see past the Lydia's for the women's, Lydia B just won the Omnium and the Stephen Roche without extending herself, Lydia G flying placing in Paris third in the scratch in an international field. Oooh!

I wonder when the start list will be published.

How's Lydia B being going on the road this year or has she done much on the road? Last I saw her I think it was the tour of Yorkshire and she looked to be having a really horrible time of it that day really early in the stage I'm thinking of.

How's Lydia B being going on the road this year or has she done much on the road? Last I saw her I think it was the tour of Yorkshire and she looked to be having a really horrible time of it that day really early in the stage I'm thinking of.

Only know about her trackly goings on. She was racing in Paris as well I think, and I haven't seen a result from her yet. She's a force in the peloton here though, and has a good sprint.

Marc Potts was also on winning form -silver in the omnuim- (He might do the nationals). Himself and Felix English also won the madison at the same meet I think. They might make an appearance at the road nationals too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,079 ✭✭✭buffalo

She won the Roche GP last week by some margin, so expect to see her feature at the National Champs again.

35815022_636456846729603_6183180441403523072_o.jpg?_nc_cat=0&oh=9c3a1cf1df2f7866bf7a7aaa6226c99b&oe=5BE5D83F

Photo from John Hammer, sorry it's rather large - https://www.facebook.com/347880418920582/photos/a.636453646729923.1073742336.347880418920582/636456840062937/?type=3&theater

• Registered Users Posts: 16,775 ✭✭✭✭dahat

Been sitting out this weather due to a burst cyst and it's proving to be a fair test of patience a specially given Strava uploads of monster spins in such glorious weather.

Still 2 weeks off sitting on a saddle id say so it will be leg warmers by time I'm back in action!

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Got a fair illustration yesterday of how the bike theft economy works. Standing outside the Hill 16 pub, basking in the glory of victory. A junkie comes up with the cup held out. He's clearly special needs as well as being a junkie. We shoo him on, and he meets a mate a few metres away who points across the road at something.

Junkie runs across the road to a bike locked to railings, and picks it up, about to twist it to break the lock. One of the guys with us lets out a roar at him, telling him to get away from the bike. His mate responds - "Ah heeyor, leave him at it, he's homeless". "It's my fncking bike!", our mate says. "Ah alright so, I'll tell him to leave it".

The two scobes disappear off down the road. 20 minutes later he arrives back again, on his phone, looking at the bike. Clocks us staring at him and heads off again. So our mate goes and gets his bike and brings it over beside us. Over the next hour, at least five scobes wander past, give the bike a glance, and then the phone comes out, a quick text sent, and they're gone again. The same crew of scrotes were wandering around the area the whole time.

Clearly they keep an eye out, send each other messages to point out where there's stuff worth nicking, and then send the special needs guy in to do it - I'm sure guards pick him up and send him out again after a couple of hours, probably next to impossible to prosecute him or do anything with him.

Fascinating and infuriating to watch.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,171 ✭✭✭Rechuchote

Good place for a bait bike.

But picking up bike thieves and prosecuting them and having them get another suspended sentence seems pointless.

One of the things that stopped the joyriding craze of the 1990s was a scheme where lads arrested for car theft were offered the option of a mechanics' course - which they could be assigned to, on condition that they didn't offend while they were on it.

Is there any equivalent that could be offered to bicycle thieves?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,442 ✭✭✭LollipopJimmy

They just done give a single ****, there are so few consequences, so why would they I suppose.

dahat wrote: »
    Been sitting out this weather due to a burst cyst and it's proving to be a fair test of patience a specially given Strava uploads of monster spins in such glorious weather.

Still 2 weeks off sitting on a saddle id say so it will be leg warmers by time I'm back in action!

Getting mine seen to this week. Finally there'll be an end to hearing "fffffff you should have those looked at" I've had one burst too in the past and
    the smell and cottage cheese like puss was absolutely vile even to my strong stomach

• Registered Users Posts: 16,775 ✭✭✭✭dahat

Getting mine seen to this week. Finally there'll be an end to hearing "fffffff you should have those looked at" I've had one burst too in the past and
    the smell and cottage cheese like puss was absolutely vile even to my strong stomach

Jesus!!! Fortunately mine didn't break but surgery was required to drain etc, I wont go further but it was frightening to see how big it got.

Best of luck with getting it sorted.

^^^^^
    I'm scared :eek:
    After the heat of Sunday, I think I got some salty irritation, after reading the above I think I"m gonna live in Savalon cream for this week :eek:

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,557 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

a few years ago, a friend told me about a subgenre of videos on youtube featuring bursting of everything from pimples to cysts. apparently it can be quite cathartic. i will leave the conclusion on whether that is true as an exercise for the reader.

a few years ago, a friend told me about a subgenre of videos on youtube featuring bursting of everything from pimples to cysts. apparently it can be quite cathartic. i will leave the conclusion on whether that is true as an exercise for the reader.

It was even hard to read that.

My sister is one of those people. If someone or something (cattle, horses, dog etc.) have a skin/boil thing she's all over it. Skin things are one of the few things that make me want to puke.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,667 Mod ✭✭✭✭RobFowl

^^^^^
    I'm scared :eek:
    After the heat of Sunday, I think I got some salty irritation,

Huh Huh

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,457 ✭✭✭ford2600

It was even hard to read that.

My sister is one of those people. If someone or something (cattle, horses, dog etc.) have a skin/boil thing she's all over it. Skin things are one of the few things that make me want to puke.

I've drained an infected big toe nail a few times.

A candle and a needle and a steady hand is all that is required!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,442 ✭✭✭LollipopJimmy

National Sales Manager in my old workplace used to watch those videos to relax himself when stressed.

ford2600 wrote: »
    I've drained an infected big toe nail a few times.

A candle and a needle and a steady hand is all that is required!

Oh sweet jesus make it stop :eek:

I did once have a paronychia that required my nail to be lifted off and the underneath being scraped out. *Shudder*

Get well soon dahat and Enfilade, it's one of my greatest cycling fears

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,899 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

Nothing like lancing a golfball attached to your gooch :pac:

I also had a knee issue as a teenager, girl in my class had surgery for the same thing. I cut open the side of my knee and pulled out what looked like an overcooked string of white spaghetti.

I am quite lucky I haven't had some sort of major infection in retaliation.

Nee will sleep better knowing she's not in the at risk catagory for them.

The pilonidal one isn't even the one I'm having nuked. Had that looked at years ago and the consultant told me it wasn't bad enough. I still get a flair up maybe once a year for a few days but I've been lucky it's never grown and is really just a pea sized amount of scare tissue now if that.

I'll still be off the bike though as I won't be able to shoulder check due to the stitches on my back and neck which the consultant gleefully said "oh nice big ones" it's about an inch wide :D

• Registered Users Posts: 11,767 ✭✭✭✭tomasrojo

Speaking of suppurating wounds, Niall Ring will be the next Lord Mayor of Dublin.

CramCycle wrote: »
    Nothing like lancing a golfball attached to your gooch :pac:

I also had a knee issue as a teenager, girl in my class had surgery for the same thing. I cut open the side of my knee and pulled out what looked like an overcooked string of white spaghetti.

I am quite lucky I haven't had some sort of major infection in retaliation.

What the actual? *puke rises in mouth*
    Nee will sleep better knowing she's not in the at risk catagory for them.

The pilonidal one isn't even the one I'm having nuked. Had that looked at years ago and the consultant told me it wasn't bad enough. I still get a flair up maybe once a year for a few days but I've been lucky it's never grown and is really just a pea sized amount of scare tissue now if that.

I'll still be off the bike though as I won't be able to shoulder check due to the stitches on my back and neck which the consultant gleefully said "oh nice big ones" it's about an inch wide :D

Fecin hell. Well that's tonight's nightmare sorted :o

• Registered Users Posts: 31,080 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

scare tissue
    Indeed.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,993 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

Any other cycling Boardsies going to Roger Waters tonight?

I'm bringing my 16 year old daughter. She's become a bit of a Floyd head recently. Looking forward to it. :)

Advertisement