Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

La Flamme Rouge **off topic discussion**

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 822 ✭✭✭devonp

pity ES couldn't show todays last stage ....was looking everywhere for it :(

very exciting final stage ...highlights at midnight !! i believe

is LBL on ES tmrw ?

It was live on Eurosport player, can be hard to find with all the tennis streams there but if you filter by sport and choose cycling you'll see it.

LBL is 10:25 for the women and 12:30 for the men on the player, not being covered live on the TV that I can see from the schedule.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,484 ✭✭✭manafana

too much cycling on, worth paying for the gcn or eurosport app so you can access the races you want like binck bank and earlier coverage.

For 20-40euro its worth it

Yeah and you have the cx stuff starting too at the weekends. Actually the womens cx race today was worth a look haven't gotten around to the mens race yet but can't recall the last time I saw that much running in a cx lap. Hard, hard course.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,599 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

spotted an 80s steel olmo for sale in the rediscovery centre in ballymun earlier, with a 'do not lower saddle' warning on it. no explanation given.

it might have said 'saddle cannot be lowered' if the seatpost was seized i would have assumed, and it doesn't *look* seized.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,490 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

I need to get in there again sometime

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,599 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

also spotted in there, a fine example of cold setting the stays.

528346.jpg

Bit of a weird one, but I was walking the dog in Fairview park recently and came across a large bunch of bike lock keys, or at least, that's what they looked like.

I presumed somebody had stolen them from one of the two bike shops in Fairview and either dumped them or left them there to be retrieved later, but both shops have said they're not theirs. Not really sure what to do with them now....I wouldn't want to bin them if they're belonging to somewhere that needs them, any suggestions?

528353.jpg

bring them to clontarf garda station?
    could have been assembled by a bike thief too, maybe?

bring them to clontarf garda station?
    could have been assembled by a bike thief too, maybe?

Good shout, rang them there and they suggested the same. If I don't hear a better suggestion, I'll leave them with the lads down there.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32,381 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

Not really sure what to do with them now....I wouldn't want to bin them if they're belonging to somewhere that needs them, any suggestions?
    there is www.lost.ie and also a stupid amount of online lost & found pages on facebook. There should really be a single government one, its a ridiculous situation having to put them all up.

You could also email photos to local garda stations. Very strange looking keys

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,934 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

Its either a security guards lot and they lock up multiple gates with bike locks or Bell locks are like Basta keys and you only need a certain number of them to get through any of thee, ergo a thiefs.

the ones on the top right look like Master keys (as in the master brand). cheap enough jobbies.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 11,391 Mod ✭✭✭✭Captain Havoc

I recall someone on here a while ago with the same problem saying they contacted Garmin and they sent one out to them free of charge.

I use bluetack

https://ormondelanguagetours.com

Walking Tours of Kilkenny in English, French or German.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,004 ✭✭✭cletus

spotted an 80s steel olmo for sale in the rediscovery centre in ballymun earlier, with a 'do not lower saddle' warning on it. no explanation given.

it might have said 'saddle cannot be lowered' if the seatpost was seized i would have assumed, and it doesn't *look* seized.

What's the story with the rediscovery centre? What is it, do they sell bikes?

'national centre for the circular economy'. They do bike maintenance classes (mainly introductory stuff) and teach bike restoration - they used to teach it to long term unemployed, not sure if they still do that - and furniture restoration, upholstery etc. All about reusing where possible.

'national centre for the circular economy'. They do bike maintenance classes (mainly introductory stuff) and teach bike restoration - they used to teach it to long term unemployed, not sure if they still do that - and furniture restoration, upholstery etc. All about reusing where possible.

Do they sell on second hand bikes as well? Anything ever worth buying

Rarely enough. They use bikes which have been donated, so it's usually low end. I bought a single speed a while back there for about 100 quid. I'd say the good stuff is usually spotted long before it gets out on the shop floor.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,138 ✭✭✭dinneenp

I got a dumb turbo trainer (will 'upgrade' it at some stage), looking for some recommended workouts from Youtube or elsewhere please.
    Also any virtual rides, ideally somewhere that the scenery changes quickly/cyclist cycling quickly.
    Edit- for virtual rides I found Best Indoor training apps
    Any recommendations?

Thanks,
    Pa.

• Advertisement

I presume cycling is considered an inter county sport for training purposes as several clubs will have members across county boundaries?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,970 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

CramCycle wrote: »
    I presume cycling is considered an inter county sport for training purposes as several clubs will have members across county boundaries?

I don't think so, you can train in groups of up to 15, but nowhere does it say you can travel inter-county to do so. My club certainly took the view that when Dublin was in Level3, we couldn't go there, and Dublin members couldn't come to Wicklow.

loyatemu wrote: »
    I don't think so, you can train in groups of up to 15, but nowhere does it say you can travel inter-county to do so. My club certainly took the view that when Dublin was in Level3, we couldn't go there, and Dublin members couldn't come to Wicklow.

Indeed, that's what the most recent CI advice says after I posted that. Government advice is different in that it says inter-county sports can continue for training, which to me reads that you can cross county borders if training with your club but its all academic now as CI have said you shouldn't. In my mind it calls into question if you are insured or not should you cross county borders. The reason I had asked is that my club are on a county line almost with numerous members just on either side by a km or so

I always understood "inter-county" to refer to the GAA, in terms of county teams. It would have no bearing if I trained in, say, a karate club in Portlaoise, but I live in Kildare.

It's used to include inter-county teams in the elite sports catagory

cletus wrote: »
    I always understood "inter-county" to refer to the GAA, in terms of county teams. It would have no bearing if I trained in, say, a karate club in Portlaoise, but I live in Kildare.

It's used to include inter-county teams in the elite sports catagory

I get where you are coming from. Like I said, your CI insurance may not be valid if you do cross a county line for whatever reason. This said, the government guidelines say specifically, and I presume this covers any sport for training where your training might be across the border. An academic exercise as I don't go on club training spins so I am not trying to make my life easier, a mere curiosity.

CramCycle wrote: »
    I get where you are coming from. Like I said, your CI insurance may not be valid if you do cross a county line for whatever reason. This said, the government guidelines say specifically, and I presume this covers any sport for training where your training might be across the border. An academic exercise as I don't go on club training spins so I am not trying to make my life easier, a mere curiosity.

I think you're presumption is wrong
    Training

Outdoors: Non contact training only in pods of up to 15 (exemption for professional/elite/inter-county sports/senior club championship).

Indoors: Individual training only. No exercise or dance classes.

Matches and events

No matches or other sporting events should take place, with the exception of professional, elite, inter-county, and senior club championship, which should all take place behind closed doors.

This reads to me that professional sports, plus amateur inter-county GAA, and senior club GAA (but not, for example intermediate club championships) have an exemption.

I've never heard 'inter-county' being used, in a sporting sense, to refer to anything other than GAA.

So, for cycling, the only piece that is relevant is whether you are a professional or elite cyclist

• Registered Users Posts: 17,773 ✭✭✭✭keane2097

I would have thought non-contact training in pods of 15 would accommodate club spins?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,667 Mod ✭✭✭✭RobFowl

Training in groups of up to 15 is allowed outdoors. That applies to us all.
    The elite sport is more to do with competition.
    Don't think an M50 entering a B Cross race can't swing that one.......

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,269 Mod ✭✭✭✭Chips Lovell

RobFowl wrote: »
    Training in groups of up to 15 is allowed outdoors. That applies to us all.
    The elite sport is more to do with competition.
    Don't think an M50 entering a B Cross race can't swing that one.......

Shoulda opted for the Elite Licence Rob. ;)

• Advertisement

keane2097 wrote: »
    I would have thought non-contact training in pods of 15 would accommodate club spins?

It would, but not across county borders.

Advertisement