Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

La Flamme Rouge **off topic discussion**

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,599 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

my parents in law live about 200m from the county boundary, the other side of the boundary from their local town.
    interesting to note that their local remained open during lockdown, a error on the pub licence had it listed as in the wrong county, so the owner took that as a licence to ignore the lockdown. the gardai called round to him.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 11,391 Mod ✭✭✭✭Captain Havoc

my parents in law live about 200m from the county boundary, the other side of the boundary from their local town.
    interesting to note that their local remained open during lockdown, a error on the pub licence had it listed as in the wrong county, so the owner took that as a licence to ignore the lockdown. the gardai called round to him.

Is this one of these places that the nearest post office is in a different county? You get odd ones like that - via Athy, Co. Kilkenny for example.

https://ormondelanguagetours.com

Walking Tours of Kilkenny in English, French or German.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,934 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

cletus wrote: »
    I think you're presumption is wrong

This reads to me that professional sports, plus amateur inter-county GAA, and senior club GAA (but not, for example intermediate club championships) have an exemption.

I've never heard 'inter-county' being used, in a sporting sense, to refer to anything other than GAA.

So, for cycling, the only piece that is relevant is whether you are a professional or elite cyclist

Well then they should have said GAA. By that reckoning soccer training can't occur for teams with players across county borders but GAA can. So no sport which has a team crossing county borders can facilitate training. I'm not trying to be a pain but if they meant GAA they should have said GAA. Lots of sports have intercounty training. Saying one outdoor sport can train and another can't even if following the same guidelines is bizarre.

I don't condone it, but for good public health policy to work, they need consistency, which of people are reading it your way, then simply it's not consistent nor sensible.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,004 ✭✭✭cletus

CramCycle wrote: »
    Well then they should have said GAA. By that reckoning soccer training can't occur for teams with players across county borders but GAA can. So no sport which has a team crossing county borders can facilitate training. I'm not trying to be a pain but if they meant GAA they should have said GAA. Lots of sports have intercounty training. Saying one outdoor sport can train and another can't even if following the same guidelines is bizarre.

I don't condone it, but for good public health policy to work, they need consistency, which of people are reading it your way, then simply it's not consistent nor sensible.

I'm not sure what else to say. In my experience, inter-county is generally accepted as referring to the GAA.

It seems to me that they are making allowances for high level sports people, so professional (we all understand this), elite (quite a few sports use this phrase for high level amateurs, including, I think, cycling), and inter-county (amateur players, but those at the elite level, in GAA).

The professional and elite cover other sports, the intercounty covers GAA. Senior club should cover soccer not covered by professional

Edited to add: just to clarify, 'inter-county' refers specifically to those players who play for their county, against other county teams, as opposed to people who live in one county and play club football or hurling in another county

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,599 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

Is this one of these places that the nearest post office is in a different county? You get odd ones like that - via Athy, Co. Kilkenny for example.
    not sure about their pub; but they live in dublin, and if post is sent to them addressed as dublin, it usually takes longer to get there than if it's addressed as meath - as their local mail distribution centre is in meath, so the route they're on is a county meath one. or so i was told.

• Advertisement

This is what they said
    Sports
    Training

Outdoors: Non contact training only in pods of up to 15 (exemption for professional/elite/inter-county sports/senior club championship).

Indoors: Individual training only. No exercise or dance classes

Professional: Simples
    Elite: Amateur but representing nation or county (in my opinion)
    Inter county sports: Any sport where.training requires moving between counties by its nature. It covers more than GAA in my opinion, amateur soccer clubs, amateur rugby clubs who have players across the border or working/living/studying elsewhere. To this end, if a club organises a training session, be it a road spin, Corkagh park, the CX training place, Sundrive, wherever, then so long as it's training and below 15, it can continue.
    Senior club Champs: Again you'd have players from outside the county or again, why are the GAA almost getting preferential treatment. I know there are other sports that have county champs but I don't imagine any bar the GAA running them.

Like I said, not advocating it, I won't be out for club spins, but there are alot of clubs with membership both sides of a county line, and while they won't be insured as CI have said don't cross county lines, are they breaking the law (the letter, not the spirit)? Simply academic

Our local GAA club took the absolute piss back at the start of local down. While members of my family in the building trade downed tools on jobs they were on they deiced the new clubhouse was essential work and carried on regardless. Even had the begging bowls outside the local shops to help pay for it.

This is what they said
    Sports
    Training

Outdoors: Non contact training only in pods of up to 15 (exemption for professional/elite/inter-county sports/senior club championship).

Indoors: Individual training only. No exercise or dance classes

Professional: Simples
    Elite: Amateur but representing nation or county (in my opinion)
    Inter county sports: Any sport where.training requires moving between counties by its nature. It covers more than GAA in my opinion, amateur soccer clubs, amateur rugby clubs who have players across the border or working/living/studying elsewhere. To this end, if a club organises a training session, be it a road spin, Corkagh park, the CX training place, Sundrive, wherever, then so long as it's training and below 15, it can continue.
    Senior club Champs: Again you'd have players from outside the county or again, why are the GAA almost getting preferential treatment. I know there are other sports that have county champs but I don't imagine any bar the GAA running them.

Like I said, not advocating it, I won't be out for club spins, but there are alot of clubs with membership both sides of a county line, and while they won't be insured as CI have said don't cross county lines, are they breaking the law (the letter, not the spirit)? Simply academic

I understand what you're saying, cram, but it's simply not correct. The phrase 'inter-county' is used throughout the entire country to refer to players who play for their own county in hurling, football, and camogie. They are the equivalent of elite level athletes in other sports. This is not just what I think, it's how the sport is referred to nationwide. The exceptions being made are there for sportspeople at the top of their chosen sports.

It has nothing to do with crossing county borders to train.

I think if you ask anyone with an interest in team sports in Ireland, they'd agree with what I'm saying

• Registered Users Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭Eamonnator

I thought that the exemption meant that the professionals etc. can train with contact and that everybody else could train without contact. And that therefore up to 15 cyclists can train together.

Eamonnator wrote: »
    I thought that the exemption meant that the professionals etc. can train with contact and that everybody else could train without contact. And that therefore up to 15 cyclists can train together.

They can, but within the borders of their county.

The piece that seems to be presenting difficulty is the 'inter-county'

• Advertisement

don't know if it was mentioned elsewhere here, but ronan mclaughlin lost his crown a few days ago:

https://www.bicycling.com/news/a34274226/sean-gardner-sets-sub-seven-hour-everesting-record/

• Registered Users Posts: 8,079 ✭✭✭buffalo

Given that the Gardaí appear to be enforcing Operation Fanacht through the creation of traffic jams, is it safe to accept that the county boundary limits don't apply to people on bikes? :D

• Registered Users Posts: 6,458 ✭✭✭lennymc

with gaa being an amateur organisation, but with individuals and clubs acting in a very professional manner, they wouldn't necessarily be included in the professional/elite category, and given the social impact of sports being played, i can understand them getting the specific exemtpion under inter-county.

lennymc wrote: »
    with gaa being an amateur organisation, but with individuals and clubs acting in a very professional manner, they wouldn't necessarily be included in the professional/elite category, and given the social impact of sports being played, i can understand them getting the specific exemtpion under inter-county.

And that's fair enough but I am tired and grumpy and they should have said GAA. This said, despite being a GAA fan, I took the word at its meaning, although a quick google agrees with everyone except me. as the first hit that comes up explains that "inter county" is GAA terminology but I still think its poor phrasing and also poor form that one sports organisation gets any preference over another. Plenty of Soccer clubs are very professional in their set up, as it is in many other sports.

Like I said, doesn't affect me but it will affect others, the selfish prat side of me doesn't actually care, I just wanted to talk nonsensically for awhile.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,442 ✭✭✭LollipopJimmy

Sounds like somebody needs a blankey a snuggle :D

And that's fair enough but I am tired and grumpy and they should have said GAA. This said, despite being a GAA fan, I took the word at its meaning, although a quick google agrees with everyone except me. as the first hit that comes up explains that "inter county" is GAA terminology but I still think its poor phrasing and also poor form that one sports organisation gets any preference over another. Plenty of Soccer clubs are very professional in their set up, as it is in many other sports.

Like I said, doesn't affect me but it will affect others, the selfish prat side of me doesn't actually care, I just wanted to talk nonsensically for awhile.

You're still grumpy, cram :D

Professional and elite soccer, as well as professional and elite every other sport, get the same treatment as the equivalent of professional and elite GAA - inter-county.

As an example, the Bohs Cork City game will still go ahead tomorrow night. My local soccer club can't play games, but then neither can the local gaa team

utterly nonsensical aside, but i always thought it was a terrible pity that no marketing bod in Bose audio thought to sponsor bohemians FC.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,490 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

utterly nonsensical aside, but i always thought it was a terrible pity that no marketing bod in Bose audio thought to sponsor bohemians FC.

Maybe sound them out

Bad enough Dublin Bus have a Bohs bus.

Weepsie wrote: »
    Maybe sound them out
    maybe they're waiting for bohs to win the treble before sponsoring them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,079 ✭✭✭buffalo

Story does not deliver on potential of headline:

Laser technology to help prevent trucks hitting bridges

https://www.rte.ie/news/ireland/2020/1008/1170210-bridges-lorries/

• Registered Users Posts: 9,190 ✭✭✭RobertFoster

buffalo wrote: »
    Story does not deliver on potential of headline
    You were expecting sci-fi laser turrets vaporising artics too?

It really doesn't and IR shouldn't be footing the bill either.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,585 ✭✭✭Mickiemcfist

Deleted my post by accident, if they installed tell-tales 100 yards either side, problem solved.

This is it, takes awareness and responsibility away from 'professional' drivers who should know how to read a road sign and the height of their vehicle. Can they hit hit a bridge now without the tech and whinge that IR are at fault because no lasers :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 11,769 ✭✭✭✭tomasrojo

https://twitter.com/peterwalker99/status/1314165381318283264
    There's the Google translation, for those who can't read Flemish
    https://translate.google.com/translate?sl=auto&tl=en&u=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.vrt.be%2Fvrtnws%2Fnl%2F2020%2F10%2F08%2Ftest-aankoop-bezorgd-over-veiligheid-elektrische-steps-wij-rad%2F

The difficulty of replacing worn parts on these things has always struck me as a big problem. I rather like the idea of them, but if they're poorly weather-proofed and also hard to maintain, they're essentially use-till-they-break-and-replace, which isn't great from a sustainability point of view.

I can't help thinking an electric folding bike would be a lot more what I'd like, if I were in the market for something like this.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,827 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

On the sunbject of scooters, John Lahart has decided what he thinks is the best approach for Ireland :rolleyes:...
    https://twitter.com/JohnLahart/status/1313873238473269248

I used the Lime Scooters in Germany, it was brilliant but made me sad because I know they wouldn't last a minute in Dublin

Such a cheap and easy way to get around

Licence and helmets :rolleyes:

Wasn't long getting his heckles up when Dublin Commuter Coalition called him on it , and their reply was great.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,827 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

Here's another one at it. FG Councillor wants them rolled out in DLR Council area.
    Subject to user training and registration :rolleyes:...

https://twitter.com/MaeveOConnellFG/status/1314193343069515778

Advertisement