Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

La Flamme Rouge **off topic discussion**

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,450 ✭✭✭Harrybelafonte

Can anyone recommend somewhere to get an MRI scan privately onNorthside of Dublin? I'm looking at Sports Surgery in Santry but they're a little expensive.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,599 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

affidea, who are only about 500m from SSC?
    it's where my wife went for a scan, mainly because it was one of the places her healthcare providers use. as such, i don't know how much they cost usually.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

Can anyone recommend somewhere to get an MRI scan privately onNorthside of Dublin? I'm looking at Sports Surgery in Santry but they're a little expensive.

I haven't used the place in the link below but the prices look OK. They're also in Santry. Not sure if you need a referral from a GP/consultant - a lot of places insist on one.

https://www.affidea.ie/prices/

EDIT: mb got there as I was posting.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,450 ✭✭✭Harrybelafonte

affidea, who are only about 500m from SSC?
    it's where my wife went for a scan, mainly because it was one of the places her healthcare providers use. as such, i don't know how much they cost usually.
    crosstownk wrote: »
    I haven't used the place in the link below but the prices look OK. They're also in Santry. Not sure if you need a referral from a GP/consultant - a lot of places insist on one.

https://www.affidea.ie/prices/

EDIT: mb got there as I was posting.

Thanks guys. Yes, I have a referral.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,442 ✭✭✭LollipopJimmy

I used Affidea to get a brain scan (yes they found it) and they give discounts for various sporting bodies so check that out. I had to get it done to register with SafeMMA and it was only 140quid

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,943 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

tomasrojo wrote: »
    https://twitter.com/peterwalker99/status/1314165381318283264
    There's the Google translation, for those who can't read Flemish
    https://translate.google.com/translate?sl=auto&tl=en&u=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.vrt.be%2Fvrtnws%2Fnl%2F2020%2F10%2F08%2Ftest-aankoop-bezorgd-over-veiligheid-elektrische-steps-wij-rad%2F

The difficulty of replacing worn parts on these things has always struck me as a big problem. I rather like the idea of them, but if they're poorly weather-proofed and also hard to maintain, they're essentially use-till-they-break-and-replace, which isn't great from a sustainability point of view.

I can't help thinking an electric folding bike would be a lot more what I'd like, if I were in the market for something like this.
    I used the Lime Scooters in Germany, it was brilliant but made me sad because I know they wouldn't last a minute in Dublin

Such a cheap and easy way to get around
    They dont last a minute anywhere, their lifespan is measured in weeks:

https://mashable.com/article/escooter-lifespan-shared-new-models/?europe=true

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,599 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,827 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

The number of times that Toronto Police copied & pasted a stock response in that thread to posts that criticised the stunt over real traffic policing...
    Officers were there to increase awareness & educate people after a number of concerns were raised by the community, including fellow cyclists, & a councillor. The speed radars were used purely for education & not enforcement. We received a positive response from residents.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,995 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

my parents in law live about 200m from the county boundary, the other side of the boundary from their local town.
    interesting to note that their local remained open during lockdown, a error on the pub licence had it listed as in the wrong county, so the owner took that as a licence to ignore the lockdown. the gardai called round to him.
    I'm not sure if it's the same place but we were talking about a certain establishment being open on a club ride recently. We regularly pass it and it's not as if it's borderline - it's well inside Dublin County and there are even 'Fingal Co Council' place name signs on the approach on each side of it. Taking the piss big time.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,918 ✭✭✭De Bhál

I'm not sure if it's the same place but we were talking about a certain establishment being open on a club ride recently. We regularly pass it and it's not as if it's borderline - it's well inside Dublin County and there are even 'Fingal Co Council' place name signs on the approach on each side of it. Taking the piss big time.

You can be open if you have an outdoor area that sits 15max

• Advertisement

De Bhál wrote: »
    You can be open if you have an outdoor area that sits 15max
    Not for a 'wet' pub (in Dublin).

• Registered Users Posts: 11,769 ✭✭✭✭tomasrojo

I wasn't aware of this reason for bike seat theft ...
    https://twitter.com/IBIKEDublin/status/1314633132709158917

• Registered Users Posts: 2,918 ✭✭✭De Bhál

Not for a 'wet' pub (in Dublin).

Yes, I should've said outdoor area to eat food with 15 people max.

There should be no wet pubs open in Dublin

• Registered Users Posts: 6,371 ✭✭✭positron

Sorry if this is a rather daft question, which it probably is in all fairness... has anyone tried using any of the Garmin Edge devices as general GPS unit for regular driving - cars, and (especially) motorbikes? Would it work?

positron wrote: »
    Sorry if this is a rather daft question, which it probably is in all fairness... has anyone tried using any of the Garmin Edge devices as general GPS unit for regular driving - cars, and (especially) motorbikes? Would it work?
    Are you hoping to bag a few KOMs?

I'd imaging the screen would be a bit small for checking while driving. I can't really see the point unless you're trying to work out your average driving speed or using the route planner.

lol :D No, just more like one bullet two bird thing. I thought something like Edge 1030 would be big enough.

Given a decent GPS for the motorbike is €600+ - and it's totally unnecessary as it's dead easy to use the phone for navigation - either mounted or in your pocket with voice navigation, I am not planning to get a motorbike GPS. But since I am looking to pick up a cycling GPS unit, just wondering if there's a case for getting an explore / 1030 than say a 520 or a 530 etc.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,934 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

I don't see why not for the bigger ones, the smaller ones are too small and lead to more issues than they solve. This said, a bluetooth headset and google maps might be better if you are using it for specific routing.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,490 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

You'll spend your time deleting drives/motorbike rides from strava as it'll autoupload them

Weepsie wrote: »
    You'll spend your time deleting drives/motorbike rides from strava as it'll autoupload them

Only need to delete the reported ones ;)

Thought just occurred to me Edge devices will probably never route you onto a motorway etc? Or might send you thru local parks and bike lanes where motorbikes are not allowed - they probably doesn't have an option to enable "toll roads" and "motorways" or to avoid "bike lanes". Do they?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,970 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

here's a Strava related query - There's a segment in one of the local forests, a single-track path that Trailforks has as a red route; the KOM did it at 64km/h which I would regard as physically impossible. I know one of the guys further down the list, a serious MTBer and he did it at around 20km/h.

When I see road segments with ludicrous times/speeds I assume they've been done (inadvertently or otherwise) in a car or on an eBike, but neither is possible here, so how have they managed it - manipulating a manual upload to Strava maybe, but I can't think why anyone would do that. Maybe it's just a data error...

a scrambler? or would a scrambler be too cumbersome for that track?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,442 ✭✭✭LollipopJimmy

loyatemu wrote: »
    here's a Strava related query - There's a segment in one of the local forests, a single-track path that Trailforks has as a red route; the KOM did it at 64km/h which I would regard as physically impossible. I know one of the guys further down the list, a serious MTBer and he did it at around 20km/h.

When I see road segments with ludicrous times/speeds I assume they've been done (inadvertently or otherwise) in a car or on an eBike, but neither is possible here, so how have they managed it - manipulating a manual upload to Strava maybe, but I can't think why anyone would do that. Maybe it's just a data error...

I had a segment that read over 125kph last summer, I was training hard at the time but it was still a tad quick. I just deleted the ride having assumed my garmin had made a mess and I wasn't going to deal with the reports.

People get insane about Koms, I took a long enough one and was accused of using an ebike.

a scrambler? or would a scrambler be too cumbersome for that track?

I don't think so
    I had a segment that read over 125kph last summer, I was training hard at the time but it was still a tad quick. I just deleted the ride having assumed my garmin had made a mess and I wasn't going to deal with the reports.

probably the most likely explanation.

How short is it, short ones tend to be more susceptible to GPS error, and if its covered over it might be dropping in and out so it might seem to be far faster or slower in parts than it actually is.

Flag it as bad data, I think they should be able to hit a correct data button to fix it.

CramCycle wrote: »
    How short is it, short ones tend to be more susceptible to GPS error, and if its covered over it might be dropping in and out so it might seem to be far faster or slower in parts than it actually is.

Flag it as bad data, I think they should be able to hit a correct data button to fix it.

it's pretty short alright: https://www.strava.com/segments/2837043

I suspect all the times down to no. 6 are false, the first 2 are definitely impossible, as you suggest the trees may be interfering with the GPS.

I'm not an MTBer, I ended up on it accidentally while out with the boy and we ended up walking most of it.

the first one is definitely a GPS issue. if you look at the full activity that was set on, he did 152km that day, with 1600m of climbing, at an overall average of 40km/h(!)

however, that segment was set when he was clearly on the N11 but the GPS has placed him maybe 100m to the east by accident, and matched it to incorrect segments. i suspect it was not just a GPS glitch too, he probably also had the bike on the back of the car for at least part of it.

the first one is definitely a GPS issue. if you look at the full activity that was set on, he did 152km that day, with 1600m of climbing, at an overall average of 40km/h(!)

however, that segment was set when he was clearly on the N11 but the GPS has placed him maybe 100m to the east by accident, and matched it to incorrect segments. i suspect it was not just a GPS glitch too, he probably also had the bike on the back of the car for at least part of it.

good point - it is quite close to the N11, possibly some of those higher speeds were actually on the road at the time.

loyatemu wrote: »
    it's pretty short alright: https://www.strava.com/segments/2837043

I suspect all the times down to no. 6 are false, the first 2 are definitely impossible, as you suggest the trees may be interfering with the GPS.

I'm not an MTBer, I ended up on it accidentally while out with the boy and we ended up walking most of it.

I had a quick look, 1st guy is on a road bike on the main road beside it, GPS data is bad for the first few km, 2nd is most likely the same, and 3rd. I presume it continues.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,980 ✭✭✭Plastik

That's an upload from the Shay Elliott race, the speed/elevation/distance are accurate - even though the KOM segment isn't.

Advertisement