Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

La Flamme Rouge **off topic discussion**

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,599 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

looks like the first activity is no longer listed. someone - god knows who - must have flagged it.

• Registered Users Posts: 290 ✭✭JimmiesRustled

On the back of EF collaborating with Palace for their kit for the Giro, it looks as if Stijn Dossche has re-designed all of the teams kits. Some look a lot better https://twitter.com/StijnDossche/status/1315361419689431043

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,827 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

Does anyone recall who the other TD was?
    https://twitter.com/DublinCommuters/status/1315734310020886529

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,599 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

barry cowen

Thanks, had forgotten about him

• Advertisement

Budget day, can't see this getting the coverage it deserves. One of his one would have had to film and release it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,450 ✭✭✭Harrybelafonte

Can confirm that new bike lane on Griffith abenue is being used as a second lane by idiots in cars. It’s clearly too narrow for a car?!?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,490 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

Can confirm that new bike lane on Griffith abenue is being used as a second lane by idiots in cars. It’s clearly too narrow for a car?!?

There were cars parked in it the other day. There's not a house on that road which doesn't have an extensive driveway. If they need to have a third and fourth car, they should have to sort out some type of private parking.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,450 ✭✭✭Harrybelafonte

Weepsie wrote: »
    There were cars parked in it the other day. There's not a house on that road which doesn't have an extensive driveway. If they need to have a third and fourth car, they should have to sort out some type of private parking.

I’m not sure it’s residents tbh. The road was totally clear during lockdown. I think it’s people parking up and getting the bus to work.

i had thought that the paint was just a placeholder - are they going to lay down a kerb like they did on griffith avenue extension?

• Advertisement

I’m not sure it’s residents tbh. The road was totally clear during lockdown. I think it’s people parking up and getting the bus to work.
    One poster on this twitter thread reckons that it is outside a doctors surgery. Could it be their customers or is it more widespread?
    https://twitter.com/Audsdawson/status/1315985928037564416

it's all along griffith avenue, not just outside that surgery.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,232 ✭✭✭✭Hurrache

Anyone know where I can get a sheffield stand, or similar, for embedding in concrete at relatively short notice? Screw fix have them on their site but not in stock anywhere, and every where else seems to have a delivery lead time as opposed to collection.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,769 ✭✭✭✭tomasrojo

tomasrojo wrote: »
    Has anyone bought Victory Chimp stuff? I want some more long-sleeved t-shirts, for both cycling and general wear, and these look like what I want. Is their stuff good?

https://www.victorychimp.cc/collections/out-there/products/out-there-ls-trail-shirt-sunset

These came in the post yesterday. I'm happy with them, both aesthetically and functionally.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,769 ✭✭✭✭tomasrojo

Hurrache wrote: »
    Anyone know where I can get a sheffield stand, or similar, for embedding in concrete at relatively short notice? Screw fix have them on their site but not in stock anywhere, and every where else seems to have a delivery lead time as opposed to collection.

Floor anchor and 10mm-link chains are usually available in Woodies off the shelf, if that's any use to you.

The chains are Master Lock, so the lock isn't that great, but the chain is good.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,232 ✭✭✭✭Hurrache

Floor anchor would work alright, but as there'll be a couple of bikes a post embedded into concrete that's due to be laid would support the bikes standing instead of leaning them against a nearby wall.
    Halford have small racks but they don't seem to be of the type that can be anchored.

• Registered Users Posts: 547 ✭✭✭MangleBadger

Is Black Friday usually any good for cycling related bargains?

• Registered Users Posts: 24,995 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

As if the Blake's Cross junction wasn't dangerous enough for cyclists, Fingal Co Co have made a change to it lately which, in my opinion, makes it even worse. They have extended the continuous white line between the two southbound lanes on the R132 as far as the filling station.

Now, cyclists coming from the Balbriggan direction on the R132 must legally remain on the right hand lane for a considerable distance and expose themselves to fast moving traffic on their left making it more difficult to move into that lane. It's not pleasant being in the 'no man's land' between two lanes of fast moving vehicles.

Cyclists coming from the R127 (Lusk/Rush/Skerries) have motorists right behind them after making the left turn southbound or close passing because they can't legally move over to the right hand lane. I was wondering why I had experienced an increase in close passing there recently until I spotted the continuous white line extension a few days ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,371 ✭✭✭positron

Ah FFS, that's a scariest part of the road on my (luckily infrequent, but now with covid, completely non-existent) commute.

What would be the best way to fix that junction though? Proper 90 degree T-junction with traffic lights? Flyover for cyclists to avoid the junction altogether and merge further south on the left?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,995 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

positron wrote: »
    ...What would be the best way to fix that junction though? Proper 90 degree T-junction with traffic lights? Flyover for cyclists to avoid the junction altogether and merge further south on the left?
    I say a roundabout would be more effective than lights as it would keep the traffic moving. Some say that there isn't enough room but it seems spacious enough to me. If there isn't enough room, they could aquire part of Butterly's property on a CPO (house and garden lying derelict for years now).

I was down that far 4 or 5 weeks ago on the rothar for the first time in a long time but know it from infrequently using it in the car and I have to say it was hair raising to say the least. Very different experience on the bike.

i had thought that the paint was just a placeholder - are they going to lay down a kerb like they did on griffith avenue extension?

https://twitter.com/ce_murphy/status/1316696788624171008

• Registered Users Posts: 6,332 ✭✭✭secman

Does the new outdoor meetings restriction to 6 people from 2 different households = group spins of 2 max riders bar 2 from same household plus 1 meaning 3 ? In theory it could be 6 from 2 households but unlikely for cycling.
    No guidance up on cycling Ireland site as of 5 min ago.
    Edit :
    Just checked Gov.ie covid19. Sports..seems 15 still okay for level 3, doesn't elaborate on level 3.98765 :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,296 ✭✭✭Mercian Pro

secman wrote: »
    Just checked Gov.ie covid19. Sports..seems 15 still okay for level 3, doesn't elaborate on level 3.98765 :)

15 still okay even though the figure is 6 in England. The Taoiseach did say that if Sporting Bodies cannot maintain protective measures in outdoor training , such training should cease. CI mention the maximum number and staying within your county in their latest update. I have worn a mask on a couple of group spins this week and generally it worked alright. Where there was a lot of stop/starting I had to remove my glasses as they were fogging up and on a few tough climbs I took off the mask to help with the heavy breathing! Today in the rain I had to remove it as apparently they only work as intended when dry.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,296 ✭✭✭Mercian Pro

positron wrote: »
    Flyover for cyclists to avoid the junction altogether and merge further south on the left?

Rather than a flyover, maybe an underpass or two for bikes going straight on or turning right and a segregated slip lane for bikes going left. The ones further in at the junction with the M1 work well enough.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 6,848 Mod ✭✭✭✭eeeee

secman wrote: »
    Does the new outdoor meetings restriction to 6 people from 2 different households = group spins of 2 max riders bar 2 from same household plus 1 meaning 3 ? In theory it could be 6 from 2 households but unlikely for cycling.
    No guidance up on cycling Ireland site as of 5 min ago.
    Edit :

http://www.cyclingireland.ie/cycling-news-item/cycling-ireland-covid19-update-all-events-postponed-on-the-island-15102020/28607

cycling home from my spin yesterday on collins avenue, i noticed someone had planted a replacement tree on the footpath, in the hole obviously left by a previous street tree. the replacement tree was barely a foot tall. i give that tree a week before someone has parked on it.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 6,848 Mod ✭✭✭✭eeeee

So awesome.
    I remember her first every road race- it was Rás na mBan! Talk about a baptism of fire! She's tough, I'll be shouting at a screen for her!

Advertisement