Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

La Flamme Rouge **off topic discussion**

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,600 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

I'd read it the other way round - if you pay for it directly, it €1k. If you use B2W, the nett cost to you is €510, assuming you are a top rate tax payer . ( You should only be paying €490 but they probably have an "admin charge")
    ...but It's not a bike so should not be available through the Cycle to Work scheme

• Registered Users Posts: 17,930 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,799 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

...but It's not a bike so should not be available through the Cycle to Work scheme

Nope but, most importantly, it's the person who buys it committing tax fraud, not the shop. They could be in trouble if their invoice says it's a bike when it's not, as that would make them complicit but Joe Soap who walks in, doesn't know any better is the one breaking the rules. Pretty sh1tty of the shop, even if being caught is unlikely. Now I'll be honest, it doesn't bother me, but if it bothers the poster they should call revenue or the shop, whichever they feel more comfortable with.

• Registered Users Posts: 173 ✭✭CormacH94

Anyone have any insider knowledge as to when Shimano will re-stock? Waiting to get my hands on 105 R7000 groupset in silver - out of stock anywhere I look - is this down to supply issues with Covid or is 105 in silver hard to find?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,335 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

Isn't the silver 105 rare enough anyway? I'm fairly sure I'd read that on a review the other day. It's just not produced in the numbers as the black/grey groupset.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,427 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

i don't understand that. i've always thought silver groupsets look much better.

on a vaguely similar topic, i wonder how well campagnolo or shimano would do if they started making old style groupsets again for the restoration market. too many combinations of products, i guess, at too low a volume.

Pretty much what Weepsie said, Silver in new groupsets is rare if not pretty much non existent. Considering the apparent delay in many companies resupplying bikes since C19 has been groupsets rather than frames (according to some randomer on the internet so maybe complete BS), I imagine a combination of the two means you could be waiting awhile.

Shimano also reduced the volume of it's good being produced in China about a year ago (due to EU and Trump tariff's apparently). China is possibly the only country that is seeing an increase in output in the past year whereas all their other manufacturing bases will have seen closures, staff shortages etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 173 ✭✭CormacH94

Ah was thinking that was the case - thanks for all the replies.

Silver group sets definitely do look better (and I find make you look after them a bit better - harder to ignore any dirt/grime) currently have a grey/white frame with silver/grey Tiagra 10sp so was hoping to move to 11

How's the grey Ultegra as a compromise - seems to be more available than 105 online

If Ultegra is the compromise, you're doing something right.

• Advertisement

As a matter of interest, I found a bike I want but the website I am getting it from has it way under priced but not in stock. I mailed them to see would it be coming in again and they said yes, in this January. I pointed out it was exceptional value for money and are they sure they would hold that price in January. They are providing me with an invoice next week to pay a deposit which will presumably have the full price of the bike. I have pointed out how cheap it was twice. They seem fine, if they change their mind in January, I presume my deposit and quoted price mean diddly squat.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

Not sure if this was posted previously but might be worth a viewing.

https://www.stickybottle.com/latest-news/watch-new-irish-cycling-full-length-movie-the-racer-video/

crosstownk wrote: »
    Not sure if this was posted previously but might be worth a viewing.

https://www.stickybottle.com/latest-news/watch-new-irish-cycling-full-length-movie-the-racer-video/

Did you watch the trailer :pac:

Probably only worth it if you were an extra in it and wanted to see yourself.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

Did you watch the trailer :pac:

Probably only worth it if you were an extra in it and wanted to see yourself.

I watched the trailer and I get that it's purely fictional and full of flaws. Still, I might watch it just for the sake of it. I've a thing for the '98 Tour as it passed 10 meters from where I'm sitting right now. €7.50 is less than the price of two pints that I'm unable to buy thanks to level 5.

crosstownk wrote: »
    I watched the trailer and I get that it's purely fictional and full of flaws. Still, I might watch it just for the sake of it. I've a thing for the '98 Tour as it passed 10 meters from where I'm sitting right now. €7.50 is less than the price of two pints that I'm unable to buy thanks to level 5.

Same, mentioned on here before that marco pantani in that tour encouraged me to cycle more for the fun of it and think less about as bike as something used to go from a to b. Flawed as he was some good came out of his life as I'm sure I'm not the only person he inspired.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,133 ✭✭✭dinneenp

Hi,
    Not sure if this was posted before, haven't read through it fully yet but seems interesting-
    how to ride your bike faster, 10 ways, ranked from 1 to 10

• Registered Users Posts: 8,133 ✭✭✭dinneenp

Do people replace helmets every few/5 years or so? Mine is *cough*, *cough* about 20 years old. Will replace it but made me wonder do people have a rule of thumb....

dinneenp wrote: »
    Do people replace helmets every few/5 years or so? Mine is *cough*, *cough* about 20 years old. Will replace it but made me wonder do people have a rule of thumb....

I only have mine for insurance while racing so I'll use it until I get made fun of. Helmet manufacturers say 5 years off the top of my head but the basis for that sounds more like marketing BS than reality. Once you don't mind the look or feel if it, I'd keep going.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,766 ✭✭✭✭tomasrojo

CramCycle wrote: »
    I only have mine for insurance while racing so I'll use it until I get made fun of. Helmet manufacturers say 5 years off the top of my head but the basis for that sounds more like marketing BS than reality. Once you don't mind the look or feel if it, I'd keep going.
    I think they justify the replacement interval, or used to anyway, on the basis of exposure to sunlight weakening the expanded polystyrene. As you say, it's not immediately clear that there's a strong scientific basis to that; in particular, someone who rarely cycles should have a different replacement interval than someone who cycles every day.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,427 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

i suspect any suggested lifespan dictated by UV damage to the helmet is dictated based on WCS, someone cycling several hours a day in a country which gets lots of sunshine, e.g. southern spain.
    i also suspect the level of UV your helmet would be exposed to here is a fraction of what you'd be exposed to in spain.

have also heard sweat being cited as a factor in helmet lifespan.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,987 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

dinneenp wrote: »
    I'd generally replace every year or so as they start to look a bit tatty when decals begin to peel and the white goes a bit yellowish. Also, I find it difficult to get the padding to adhere after a certain amount of washes. I rotate between several helmets depending on the bike, kit, the purpose of the ride etc. I can't imagine just using the same one for every trip.

I got ten years out of my last one. Replaced it because it became too difficult to get replacement pads.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,381 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

i also suspect the level of UV your helmet would be exposed to here is a fraction of what you'd be exposed to in spain.
    Yeah, similar to some BB dates on food, taking into account higher storage temps.

I wonder if anybody has done actual tests to see the degredation, like after 10 years does it still pass whatever tests it has to pass to get a EN standard.

If you have a very high spec one made to far surpass the standards it could still pass the EN tests 100 years on

rubadub wrote: »
    If you have a very high spec one made to far surpass the standards
    the usual question is 'what is a very high spec helmet'?
    many expensive helmets are expensive for reasons other than exceeding safety standards - it's often down to more complex manufacturing processes to meet the standards in a way that allows for low weight or ventilation. you may be paying for a cooler head rather than a safer one.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,766 ✭✭✭✭tomasrojo

the usual question is 'what is a very high spec helmet'?
    many expensive helmets are expensive for reasons other than exceeding safety standards - it's often down to more complex manufacturing processes to meet the standards in a way that allows for low weight or ventilation. you may be paying for a cooler head rather than a safer one.
    Yes, I'm not aware of any studies done on longevity of the EPS or the shell, but there were a few studies where (new) expensive helmets didn't fare any better in the standard anvil-drop test than (new) cheaper ones.

But ones made to the Snell standard might tell a different story, I guess.

I know this should go to the legal forum but I know the law, just not sure what to do about it. Our neighbour has been pinching our post about 5 packages over 8 months. In the past we complained about it to the couriers and got replacements, I have also asked and gotten one back, (which was opened by her). Another was dropped in her bin and I took it out. She then started verbally assaulting my partner for taking our package out of her bin, even though she was out at the time (bin was on the road so not trespassing, courier informed me over the phone which bin it was in), so she knew it was there and left it. This time two gifts from friends that can't be tracked or replaced and I am absolutely livid. Signed by the courier.

Solutions, the more humourous the better appreciated.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,442 ✭✭✭LollipopJimmy

CramCycle wrote: »
    I know this should go to the legal forum but I know the law, just not sure what to do about it. Our neighbour has been pinching our post about 5 packages over 8 months. In the past we complained about it to the couriers and got replacements, I have also asked and gotten one back, (which was opened by her). Another was dropped in her bin and I took it out. She then started verbally assaulting my partner for taking our package out of her bin, even though she was out at the time (bin was on the road so not trespassing, courier informed me over the phone which bin it was in), so she knew it was there and left it. This time two gifts from friends that can't be tracked or replaced and I am absolutely livid. Signed by the courier.

Solutions, the more humourous the better appreciated.

I haven't punched, kicke or strangled anybody since the gyms closed and can supply my services.

However in all seriousness I would be calling the Guards

S03E04-pupeTYFa-subtitled.jpg

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 11,391 Mod ✭✭✭✭Captain Havoc

I'd go after the courier, if he signed your name on, it is fraud.

https://ormondelanguagetours.com

Walking Tours of Kilkenny in English, French or German.

I'd hazard a guess that courier involved is Fastway? Had the same craic with signing for stuff on my behalf and generally just dumping stuff where ever.

• Advertisement

order some Es and Whizz and let her nick it, and shop her to the rozzers for possession.

Advertisement