Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

La Flamme Rouge **off topic discussion**

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,426 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

his brother taught me english for a year or two in school. he was a great teacher.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,236 ✭✭✭Idleater

"Prising Open the Dublin Bikes' Journeys"

I took part in the studies according to my email records.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,426 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

Well thats got my piss boiled.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,334 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

Taxi into town yesterday. Driver getting pissy about bike lanes, pedestrian and started going on about his insurance and tax costs compared to cyclists

His mind was well and truly made up, and he had a lot to say about lots of things, hough at least didn't appear to be racist.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,638 ✭✭✭Tombo2001

I'm going off topic here. :-)

I've been trying to purchase bikes recently. One for myself, one for my daughter.

It aint easy - there is nothing available.

Trying to get a MTB for a 10 year old, under 600 euros (but with reasonable parts, e.g. disc brakes). I've identified two options - i.e. 2 bicycles - that are available for sale after phoning 30 or stores.

Same with myself trying to get a gravel bike. There is nothing, literally, available.

there were gardai and an ambulance attending what looks to be the aftermath of a collision between a cyclist and motorist across the road. we see it every year or two (and god knows how often it happens that we don't see).
    thankfully, there seemed to be no sense of urgency, looks like it was a schoolkid on the bike. they've sent the kid off now and the ambulance is gone, looks like his mum collected him, but interestingly have not let the motorist away, they seemed to be paying close attention to his tax and insurance etc. i suspect they're waiting for a tow truck.

was this at Collins Avenue - near Albert College? I know them, he's ok but its a wake up call nonetheless.

Tombo2001 wrote: »
    was this at Collins Avenue - near Albert College? I know them, he's ok but its a wake up call nonetheless.
    No, near Albert college but on ballymun road.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

Weepsie wrote: »
    Taxi into town yesterday. Driver getting pissy about bike lanes, pedestrian and started going on about his insurance and tax costs compared to cyclists

His mind was well and truly made up, and he had a lot to say about lots of things, hough at least didn't appear to be racist.

I'd similar about four years ago.

Taxi driver started on a rant about cyclists out of nowhere. When he paused, I said "Oh really? Actually just pull up here. I'll get out here and walk the rest of the way." I paid him and then told him that it was bad enough dealing with taxi drivers while on a bike without listening to it while I'm being charged for it.

I haven't been in a taxi since.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,799 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

Same with myself trying to get a gravel bike. There is nothing, literally, available.

Not trying to rub it in but i got an email from my bike shop to say the bike they didn't expect until January arrived in this week, now I have to figure out how to pay for it :eek:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,520 ✭✭✭Alek

I'd similar about four years ago.

Taxi driver started on a rant about cyclists out of nowhere.

Times change.

After 10 years of commuting and rather neutral-to-negative encounters with taxis, a few weeks ago a taxi driver next to me pulled down the window and gave me praise for not breaking a single red light for the last 30min or so. That was genuinely nice, even though, between the lines, he was giving out about cyclists in general ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

Alek wrote: »
    Times change.

After 10 years of commuting and rather neutral-to-negative encounters with taxis, a few weeks ago a taxi driver next to me pulled down the window and gave me praise for not breaking a single red light for the last 30min or so. That was genuinely nice, even though, between the lines, he was giving out about cyclists in general ;)
    I'd similar with a Dublin Bus driver on College Green last week. He complimented me for not only stopping on red but for being in the correct lane. Unlilke some, I find Dublin Bus drivers pretty OK.

Times change.

I had one beep me over lockdown on my commute, I was in the bus lane and to be fair he had moved into the next lane. I was waiting at the lights for the spiel, turned out its a friend of mine who I beat in a race telling me that drafting buses is cheating :pac: Most Taxi drivers are grand, as I am about to say in regards bus drivers, its the bad ones that stick out but they are in the minority even if it doesn't feel like it.
    crosstownk wrote: »
    I'd similar with a Dublin Bus driver on College Green last week. He complimented me for not only stopping on red but for being in the correct lane. Unlilke some, I find Dublin Bus drivers pretty OK.
    The majority are exceptional in comparison to other non DB drivers, but the ones who aren't are incredible but they are in the minority.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,484 ✭✭✭manafana

DB mostly grand, and the new TFI routes guys seem to have got some training as barely ever had bother with them. But taxi's far too many run ins with them, alot of it to do with fact they use bus lanes too and then want me out of the way

i do recall a taxi ride once where the driver was telling us his son (student age, possibly) cycled, and how he worried for his son, and was genuinely on board with provision of infrastructure.

madre de dios.
    i wonder if the driver recognised her on the telly at some point subsequently.

https://twitter.com/JoannaDonnellyL/status/1334606244393476102

crosstownk wrote: »

The thing about Dublin Bus drivers is that they generally drive within the law, so you cant really argue with that.

Nonetheless - when they are passing you with (+/-) one metre gap, and this 10 metre long double decker is travelling at 50k per hour (+/-)......its bloody scary.

manafana wrote: »
    DB mostly grand, and the new TFI routes guys seem to have got some training as barely ever had bother with them. But taxi's far too many run ins with them, alot of it to do with fact they use bus lanes too and then want me out of the way

When the fact is that there is no real reason for them to be in Bus Lanes in the first place.

Particularly now that a lot of them have transitioned to being parcel delivery services.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,073 ✭✭✭buffalo

The thing about Dublin Bus drivers is that they generally drive within the law, so you cant really argue with that.

Nonetheless - when they are passing you with (+/-) one metre gap, and this 10 metre long double decker is travelling at 50k per hour (+/-)......its bloody scary.

That can be scary on the footpath, never mind on the road beside it.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,589 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

Joanna Donnelly (of the RTE weather forecast) today posted for the first time about an incident last May :eek:...

https://twitter.com/JoannaDonnellyL/status/1334606244393476102

• Advertisement

Jesus wept some people never miss a chance do they, first comment and we nearly have check for a fullhouse in Bingo!

I also see her mention she spoke to Gardaí about it.

I posted that five posts back!

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,589 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

I posted that five posts back!
    Oops.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 6,845 Mod ✭✭✭✭eeeee

December road season is in full swing. I thought it wouldn't be so bad this year, but plenty of the usual suspects about, behind the wheel and on two feet.
    I almost never have to shout/ make emergency maneuvers etc, but I've had to so one or both almost everytime I've been out this week.
    I had one of the closest calls of my life yesterday.

Feicin hate Christmas traffic!

eeeee wrote: »
    December road season is in full swing. I thought it wouldn't be so bad this year, but plenty of the usual suspects about, behind the wheel and on two feet.
    I almost never have to shout/ make emergency maneuvers etc, but I've had to so one or both almost everytime I've been out this week.
    I had one of the closest calls of my life yesterday.

Feicin hate Christmas traffic!

With the sudden change in weather the one wondow car drivers are back in full force. Passed several cars where the side windows and rear one completely misted up so no way they are using their rear view mirrors, and many, somehow, had managed not to demist their front window completely either. I mean, FFS. I really think they need a common sense traffic corps in the gardai, who drive around all day and just pull over every silly prat in a car doing stupid sh1t like this. They would pay for themselves.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,766 ✭✭✭✭tomasrojo

Times change.

I've had something like this: people praising me out of the blue for stopping at a red light or something. I don't really like it, since I'm very sure they don't walk up to people getting out of cars who have parked in a legal parking bay and praise them for not parking on the footpath, like all the other motorists.

tomasrojo wrote: »
    I've had something like this: people praising me out of the blue for stopping at a red light or something. I don't really like it, since I'm very sure they don't walk up to people getting out of cars who have parked in a legal parking bay and praise them for not parking on the footpath, like all the other motorists.

I find it as condescending as f*ck to be honest, it doesn't happen often but it really is just sh1tty condescending behaviour. May as well hop out and pat me on the head, saying, who's a good boy.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,766 ✭✭✭✭tomasrojo

Basically, being told, effectively, "you're one of the good ones" is classic out-group passive-aggressive stereotyping.

You'd have to respond with something like 'congratulations on not crashing your car' or something similar, surely?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 6,845 Mod ✭✭✭✭eeeee

Parcel Wizard is stopping on the 18th of December cos of Brexit :(

Advertisement