Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

La Flamme Rouge **off topic discussion**

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,667 Mod ✭✭✭✭RobFowl

colm18 wrote: »
    Nico Roche with a KOM on the (Enniskerry) Poggio today..stealing the crown from a boardsie too! https://www.strava.com/segments/6911387 — Poggio climb

Looks like he was out training with the bro as well ;)

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,365 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

Saw the fire brigade coming back down by Hellfire as I went up and was still smouldering when I got up there. Crashed and burnt out car along the side...I assumed that was the ignitor, but looks like it was someone that got caught up/distracted by the fire and ended up crashing.
    Nico Roche with a KOM on the (Enniskerry) Poggio today..stealing the crown from a boardsie too! https://www.strava.com/segments/6911387 — Poggio climb

Anyone else go into all his PR's to see how many of the segments they're faster than Nico on? :pac:

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 6,844 Mod ✭✭✭✭eeeee

Kristina Vogel is now in a serious rather than critical condition. An initial statement said her spinal cord was severed, now changed to severely injured. Doesn't look good :( Makes me sick thinking about it. If only thoughts and good wishes could heal.
    https://twitter.com/WestemeyerSusan/status/1011952115256832000

Definitely off the bike for a while, was ok after the surgery this morning then the drugs wore of and now I have to twist my body to look right to avoid tugging the stitches in my neck. Only got one cyst done so a return visit needed.

Out for a walk this evening and I swear I don't think I've seen as many out on bikes of an evening, lucky so and so's . LBS must be selling Trek's like they are going out of style I've seen that many of late.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,987 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

....Anyone else go into all his PR's to see how many of the segments they're faster than Nico on? :pac:
    Eh, no. He's done the Poggio in less than half my time. I don't wish to have my mediocrity highlighted any further.

• Advertisement

S<snip>
    Anyone else go into all his PR's to see how many of the segments they're faster than Nico on? :pac:

I don't get the strava thing. I never have. I've never put anything on it nor have I ever measured a ride that way, or ever had the urge to. I do look on it if I've been out of a spin with someone, one of my friends puts cool names on his rides, that's entertaining. But generally it seems boring and pointless to me. I can see the point of it for training, but I have a wee computer that can measure my heart rate, cadence, speed and distance and I have never felt like I needed more than that. Something that gives you directions would be handy, I get lost a lot.

I know that makes me some sort of fake / not-real cyclist. I don't drink coffee, and have never had a cup of coffee either. I might not be a real person :D
    Definitely off the bike for a while, was ok after the surgery this morning then the drugs wore of and now I have to twist my body to look right to avoid tugging the stitches in my neck. Only got one cyst done so a return visit needed.

Out for a walk this evening and I swear I don't think I've seen as many out on bikes of an evening, lucky so and so's . LBS must be selling Trek's like they are going out of style I've seen that many of late.

Oh no get well soon Enfilade.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,297 ✭✭✭secman

Swift recovery to you..

I think herself is excited for changing of the dressing etc so she can use her nurse skills while on maternity leave. She has actually stitched me up twice in the past, pain and no anaesthetic was worth not having to go to A&E and sit there for hours let me tell you

nee wrote: »
    ....I know that makes me some sort of fake / not-real cyclist..
    Quite the opposite in fact - it's something to be admired. I'm a bit of a slave to Strava myself yet some of the best cyclists I know don't use it. I go to the Alps each September with a bunch of lads and only two of us upload rides. The rest, who have been doing it for 30 years can't see why we need to.

Quite the opposite in fact - it's something to be admired. I'm a bit of a slave to Strava myself yet some of the best cyclists I know don't use it. I go to the Alps each September with a bunch of lads and only two of us upload rides. The rest, who have been doing it for 30 years can't see why we need to.

Yeah I just don't see the point personally, but maybe someday I'll suddenly get it and strava up. It just doesn't do anything for me at the moment.
    I joined it initially to find routes, but they're all ridiculously short and discordant segments with leaderboards and that make no sense to me. I kind of gave up on it then and there tbh. Although I'm odd in my lack of love for numbers.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,727 ✭✭✭✭dahat

I feel your pain, best wishes in your recovery.

My heart is broke in this weather being unable to sit on a saddle!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,442 ✭✭✭LollipopJimmy

Went to check on my bike tonight, wires n cables everywhere so I decided pints were in order... tomorrow at 9am I shall be in bother..

• Registered Users Posts: 4,338 ✭✭✭Lusk_Doyle

not the first time it's happened, if it's in the spot it happened before.

Your powers of deduction amaze!

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,365 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

Eh, no. He's done the Poggio in less than half my time. I don't wish to have my mediocrity highlighted any further.

You'd be surprised. I was a few seconds faster than him on most of the ones I checked. I clicked in to see how much slower than him I was then got on a roll :pac: They must have been doing a recovery spin. :rolleyes:
    I don't get the strava thing. I never have. I've never put anything on it nor have I ever measured a ride that way, or ever had the urge to. I do look on it if I've been out of a spin with someone, one of my friends puts cool names on his rides, that's entertaining. But generally it seems boring and pointless to me. I can see the point of it for training, but I have a wee computer that can measure my heart rate, cadence, speed and distance and I have never felt like I needed more than that. Something that gives you directions would be handy, I get lost a lot.

I know that makes me some sort of fake / not-real cyclist. I don't drink coffee, and have never had a cup of coffee either. I might not be a real person :D

I find it more useful for running to analyse run sessions tbh.
    But can be a nice boost if you've come in from a miserable spin to see you've PR'd some segments.

P.s I don't like coffee.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,297 ✭✭✭secman

As I tend to do 99.99 % of my spins solo I find Strava very helpful, it's a modern day diary / log of my cycling spins. And best part is I don't have to do anything .... it maintains itself. :) nice to see how I faired out against unknown opponents along the route too, At my age it's a brilliant tool to avail of.. my competitive days are long past.. but it's still nice to be competitive now and again without racing.... oh and I can't stand coffee either..:) happy and safe cycling to you all.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,397 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

I might not be a real person :D
    are you an AI?

i use strava on pretty much every ride. it's a nice way of keeping track of your increase in fitness.
    my main goal on strava is to take my KOM back from WA and Mercian Pro, which i've not done yet mainly because when i do go along that segment, it's into a headwind.

are you an AI?....
    That will mean something entirely different to nee and involves a cow and a man with a long glove.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,773 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

Yeah I just don't see the point personally, but maybe someday I'll suddenly get it and strava up. It just doesn't do anything for me at the moment.
    I joined it initially to find routes, but they're all ridiculously short and discordant segments with leaderboards and that make no sense to me. I kind of gave up on it then and there tbh. Although I'm odd in my lack of love for numbers.
    I rarely look at anyone elses stuff other than my own. I find it a nice measure of improvement over time. I make long segments on the one or two routes I do regularly and see is there any change over time.
    That will mean something entirely different to nee and involves a cow and a man with a long glove.
    I looked at it for a minute and wondered what has nee said that gives the impression that that is her line of work, then realised what was really meant.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,889 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

I like Strava, I find it encourages me to keep up the cycling as otherwise it's easy to become lazy - if I look at Strava and lot of the people I follow have been out and I haven't I feel I have to get on the bike. I had a week with no cycling a few weeks back and it makes me angry seeing the gap in my bar chart...

I also like seeing my gradual improvement on the segments I do regularly (even if I'm still way down the overall lists). I don't even have a computer on my bike at the moment, just my phone running Strava.

On a similar note though, the two fastest commuters I know who cover nearly the same commute, are not on Strava. The two of them are typically in regular shorts and t shirts and leaving me for dead. One of them has even started a bit of friendly competition with me over the summer as the roads are quieter. Maybe I don't need Strava.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,766 ✭✭✭✭tomasrojo

I spend my life trying to reframe activities so they're not competitive, as I just give up as soon as something turns into a competition. It's just totally contrary to my nature, for some reason.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,338 ✭✭✭Lusk_Doyle

tomasrojo wrote: »
    I spend my life trying to reframe activities so they're not competitive, as I just give up as soon as something turns into a competition. It's just totally contrary to my nature, for some reason.

Bet you can't put that another way!

tomasrojo wrote: »

Its not a competition per say as they are both faster than me but it does seem to get me into work quicker, so we both win. The only competitive people I see on the road that annoy me are those that overtake at lights, often after you have overtaken them earlier on. I have people overtake me every day, I never find it competitive. The two I mention are two I have gotten talking to at lights My co worker suffers more from this regrettably as a female. There are a certain number of men on her commute who prejudge and presume she is slower because she is on a hybrid, wearing just loose fitting clothing rather than sports gear. Even after overtaking them, they insist on rolling in front of lights and sound like they are about to vomit up their spleen (don't ask how). She isn't a racer, she is not competing, but it bugs her because it is a lack of manners and decency. One even cut a roundabout to get in front of her and she ended up having to crawl behind him for the next while as he could barely turn the pedals after the brief exertion.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,766 ✭✭✭✭tomasrojo

CramCycle wrote: »
    One even cut a roundabout to get in front of her and she ended up having to crawl behind him for the next while as he could barely turn the pedals after the brief exertion.

That's quite funny.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,397 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

she really should have offered him a push.

He's taken the KOM on 'The Wall' today by some margin and at an average speed of 21.8km/h.

https://www.strava.com/activities/1669483913

He is exactly twice as fast as me.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,477 ✭✭✭rollingscone

He's taken the KOM on 'The Wall' today by some margin and at an average speed of 21.8km/h.

https://www.strava.com/activities/1669483913

I went to the bottom of the full wall yesterday...gave up on the first ramp.

Was truly grateful not to have a nicer bike which would have made me feel like even more of a fraud...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,098 ✭✭✭NamelessPhil

Found this film from 1945 on the British Council Film website "How a bicycle is made".
    https://vimeo.com/39401575

Advertisement