Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

La Flamme Rouge **off topic discussion**

Options

Comments

Honestly haven't used them or the locker services in about 3 years. Brexit is a new thing but prior to this if a company wouldn't ship or was asking over the odds to ship from the UK to Ireland then they didn't get my business.

Haven't used Amazon in 5 years after they lost 3 orders in a row and didn't as much as question the refunds, 2 of the things arrived after 2 months, 6 weeks after I was refunded. It's hassle free to get a refund off them but the impression I got from their policy was we make so much money we can write off your 60-150 pound order easy. Have a nice day we don't care if you shop with us again so I didn't.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,333 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

Yeah I only recently bought stuff from Amazon after a hiatus recently becasue I couldn't find what I needed anywhere else at all. Most of it arived, but some has gone missing, so I'm back to giving them a miss.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,987 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

If you go to paid VRT one of the things you need is a dated receipt from the seller.

The VRT is due from the date on this receipt. You can drive around all you like but when you go to pay you won't save anything by waiting a few weeks/months
    That's a nonsense. Do private sellers give receipts? Anytime I've sold a vehicle privately, I've never provided a receipt (nor was I asked for one). And even if so, a private seller is unlikely to have headed notepaper so what's to stop someone scribbling a receipt on the back of an envelope.

The lads over in the Motors Forum will say that you'll be asked for a ferry receipt or a toll receipt. That's a bit weird for someone who lives in Lifford and who has bought a car privately in Strabane.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,484 ✭✭✭manafana

Weepsie wrote: »
    Yeah I only recently bought stuff from Amazon after a hiatus recently becasue I couldn't find what I needed anywhere else at all. Most of it arived, but some has gone missing, so I'm back to giving them a miss.

Bought a coffee machine i'd my eye on as it was 200quid cheaper, but thats height of my amazon shopping, gave most the difference to charity with work.

But going on amazon and buying everything to save 3-4euro is a slippery slope, also if its an irish business try find if their elsewhere on etsy or on own online shop, as amazon kill successful shops by trying undercut them on price on popular items

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,426 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

I've only ever bought on Amazon once and that was a favour for my niece.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,589 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,426 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

https://twitter.com/ColinJM/status/1335324569431891970

i know the chap in the middle here (the guy who tweeted this is a good friend). lovely chap. what a photo.

https://twitter.com/ColinJM/status/1335324569431891970

i know the chap in the middle here (the guy who tweeted this is a good friend). lovely chap. what a photo.

'Chap' in the middle must be mid 70's now surely?

EDIT: Sent that on to my own dad who replied with a comment on the kids bikes then vs now, next door bought a bicycle shaped object for their 3.5 year old after me offering them a balance or 14'' in immaculate condition for nothing. Had that been us we'd have thanked them and taken it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,285 ✭✭✭Mercian Pro

Brilliant photo mb - thanks for posting.

'Chap' in the middle must be mid 70's now surely?
    Yep, mid to late 70s.

• Advertisement

Is it just me or does anyone else think they look remarkably well dressed for tenement children of the 1940's. Even 'Sunday best' clothes then would rarely have included smart overcoats never mind gloves. And how would they have afforded or stored beautiful tricycles?

Great picture all the same.

AFAIK a tenement means a building with a shared staircase, doesn't necessarily mean a slum.
    He's an only child too, so would have made life a little easier financially for the parents.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,297 ✭✭✭secman

God I'm old enough to remember those usually a shade of red tricycle bikes and the old scooters with the wooden platforms :)

AFAIK a tenement means a building with a shared staircase, doesn't necessarily mean a slum....
    Yes, but it wasn't a purpose built building with a shared staircase. In Dublin, it usually meant a large 4 storey Georgian townhouse (abandoned after the Act of Union) which was used to house multiple families with one outside toilet. Not usually associated with people of means.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,133 ✭✭✭dinneenp

Anyone heard of the https://www.roadmansummit.com?
    The site looks unimpressive and have a feeling it's a money grabbing operation.... but it's free (you can pay for extras) , has speakers like Tyler Hamilton.

This summit is for all cyclist who want to get an edge for the coming season. The Roadman Virtual Cycling Summit will give you access to some of the smartest minds in sports
    Thanks
    Pa

Biohacking and Tyler Hamilton, not a great mix I'd imagine.

Looks and sounds every bit like one of those I can make you rich, successful nonsense type seminars that prey on people with money, no sense and no security.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,658 ✭✭✭MojoMaker

It's Anthony Walsh's A1 cycling rebrand. Polarising chap for sure, but he has his fans. Several cyclists from this community have worked with him in the past.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,799 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

MojoMaker wrote: »
    It's Anthony Walsh's A1 cycling rebrand. Polarising chap for sure, but he has his fans. Several cyclists from this community have worked with him in the past.

Polarising chap is right, too say he's not my cup of tea would be an understatement. I accept that while I don't think I would have been caught on tape saying some of the things he has said, I probably have said as bad in my youth, I just grew out of it. I certainly wouldn't be paying for anything he has organised but I know that many of the people who work for/with him are excellent coaches and really nice people.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,285 ✭✭✭Mercian Pro

MojoMaker wrote: »

Is he the guy who did a podcast/rant a few months ago announcing the demise of the group cycle? The post on FB was bad enough but the linked podcast was unbearable.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 6,845 Mod ✭✭✭✭eeeee

I think they're the same bullox who made a video of themselves standing on the clontarf cycle path with a broken spoke waving it at passing cyclists like they were their team car and denouncing all and sundry cos no one would help them :rolleyes:

I can't think of anything I'd want to be a part of less than something with the word 'roadman/roadmen' in it. :rolleyes: They haven't made it to 2020 yet...

• Advertisement

Nevermind the misguided misogyny of calling it roadman...declaring itself a summit is laughable.

Bretton woods was a summit. G8 etc is a summit. This is not a summit, in even the thinnest imaginable way. I blame eejits like PCosgrave for abusing the word

• Registered Users Posts: 1,585 ✭✭✭Mickiemcfist

Weepsie wrote: »
    Nevermind the misguided misogyny of calling it roadman...declaring itself a summit is laughable.

Bretton woods was a summit. G8 etc is a summit. This is not a summit, in even the thinnest imaginable way. I blame eejits like PCosgrave for abusing the word

Whatever your feelings on Cosgrave personally, I wouldn't be a fan either. Web summit at least is globally renowned.

Whatever your feelings on Cosgrave personally, I wouldn't be a fan either. Web summit at least is globally renowned.

True enough. Its to me more than a bunch of talking heads not doing much and a bit of networking but its wide reaching now. It's most imortance is it's self importance.

They're also not the first to call something, that is technically not a summit, a summit either.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,073 ✭✭✭buffalo

buffalo wrote: »
    The recently did some work at one end and added an extra filter lane, so now there's five lanes leading into that roundabout. As part of this work, they actually removed the dished access for crossing, so good luck to you if you have a buggy and are trying to run the gauntlet across the five lanes. Off one kerb, across two off-lanes, up another kerb, down another kerb, across three downhill on-lanes and up the final kerb and across the grass verge.

I put in a FOI request for any records relating to pedestrian or cyclist safety for the design of the recent work.

I got the data from this FoI back earlier today. They sent me - amongst other records - the 'Archaeological Assessment Report' and the 'TREE SURVEY FOR BAT ROOSTING POTENTIAL' for the project. I guess they just think I'm a tree-hugging hippie and fired everything my way? 🤨🤔

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,799 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

I got the data from this FoI back earlier today. They sent me - amongst other records - the 'Archaeological Assessment Report' and the 'TREE SURVEY FOR BAT ROOSTING POTENTIAL' for the project. I guess they just think I'm a tree-hugging hippie and fired everything my way? 🤨🤔

Did they send you anything you requested?

CramCycle wrote: »
    Did they send you anything you requested?

I think they did, in that they sent me a pile of stuff with next to no mention of pedestrian or cyclist safety apart from the shared cycle/foot paths. Where the dished pedestrian access was removed in reality, the project plan says 'extend existing crossing points'.

However, the final result doesn't look like that particular map. It may be that the extra work wasn't covered by this part VIII, so will have to do some more digging.

I was admonished in my local village by an older lady while unlocking my bike.

"Your chain needs a great deal of oil. It makes all the difference".

The shame.

She clearly doesn't understand good chain hygiene.

She clearly doesn't understand good chain hygiene.

She was dead right in this instance. My chain has needed some TLC since my 45k round trip commute was rendered obsolete, and the bike transitioned into merely a local pseudo-hacker for trips to the shop.

At this point I'm just going to wait until the rust eats through it, and then replace the bike.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,766 ✭✭✭✭tomasrojo

At this point I'm just going to wait until the rust eats through it, and then replace the bike.

I hope the lady never finds out you said this

Advertisement