Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

La Flamme Rouge **off topic discussion**

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 6,845 Mod ✭✭✭✭eeeee

Banned

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,426 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

that's a tyred old joke.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,442 ✭✭✭LollipopJimmy

that's a tyred old joke.

Certainly recycled

Had the CX on here earlier and the girls were watching it with me, won't mention results but the amount of bike changes going on was unreal. At one point they cut to a shot of the queue for the station to power hose them. She didn't actually say anything but the look of disgust on my eldest's face seeing bikes get power hosed was priceless :D

She did ask me ages ago why we don't just use the "car washer" for the bikes so I told her.

Sold my Cosmic wheels because I had a set of Campag Boras coming at a price, the seller has discovered a crack in carbon of the rear so now I'm snookered. I have a set of Ksyriums but they're on my gfs bike right now. Relayed my tale of woe to my LBS who is now hooking me up with a set of Boras and tyres at cost. :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,658 ✭✭✭MojoMaker

They deserve a mention on here for that I think.

MojoMaker wrote: »
    They deserve a mention on here for that I think.

Shaka Bikes on Amiens Street. Still a tidy sum but beats paying retail. I've saved a fortune with working from home and a few other things and I'd wanted these wheels so feck it.

• Registered Users Posts: 679 ✭✭✭wheelo01

536205.jpg

Any Cofficianados on here?
    I don't like coffee, I don't have a Nespresso machine, but are these any good to anyone, I have 20 of thes, if anyone would like them. Best before is 21 October 2020
    Collection in Drimnagh, Phibsboro, City Centre.

They'll be fine for a long while yet too.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,484 ✭✭✭manafana

got a bean to cup espresso machine changed my life after using pods, really good for gardening too

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,373 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

manafana wrote: »
    got a bean to cup espresso machine changed my life after using pods, really good for gardening too
    have a sage machine at work . it's very good

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,426 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

wheelo01 wrote: »
    Any Cofficianados on here?
    heh, you'd need a non-cofficionado to be interested!
    there's not enough work involved in using them for a cofficionado.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,645 ✭✭✭Wildly Boaring

I'd rather no "cycle lane" to a painted line in the range of every car door, full of potholes, manholes and bus stops.

Had a car pull in on me yesterday to pass inside a right turning vehicle. The white line did nothing believe it or not.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,333 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

Hartstown Huntstown area has got a load of all new protected bike lanes in the last few weeks. They are mostly good I think

• Registered Users Posts: 24,987 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

Temperature Query - How accurate is the weather app details which are automatically listed with a Strava activity after uploading?

There always seems to be a huge discrepency between the temperature my Garmin gives for the ride and that given by the app (or whatever it's called). Garmin is always several degrees lower.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

Temperature Query - How accurate is the weather app details which are automatically listed with a Strava activity after uploading?

There always seems to be a huge discrepency between the temperature my Garmin gives for the ride and that given by the app (or whatever it's called). Garmin is always several degrees lower.

I think the Garmin temperature reflects the 'real feel' rather than the true ambient. It's out there in the open subjected to wind chill so I suspect that that affects it.

i watched this video, and thought, 'oh, i wonder if that's a popular segment on strava'.

https://www.strava.com/segments/10538282

• Registered Users Posts: 11,766 ✭✭✭✭tomasrojo

I'd rather no "cycle lane" to a painted line in the range of every car door, full of potholes, manholes and bus stops.

Had a car pull in on me yesterday to pass inside a right turning vehicle. The white line did nothing believe it or not.

Yeah, when you're in on-road cycle tracks with no kerb, you really have to be alert to cars well in front of you stopping to wait to turn right, as it means someone much closer to you might be about to swerve hard left to go round on the inside.

This example could scarcely be better set up to induce sudden alarming inside passes over the cycle track:

536281.png

The right-turn lane is a lane in the same sense that the workspace between the seventh and eighth floor of the Mertin-Flemmer building in Being John Malkovich was a floor.

i watched this video, and thought, 'oh, i wonder if that's a popular segment on strava'....
    Reminds me a bit of a proposed new road in Swords. They put in the lighting but for some reason, the project was shelved and, for many years, a line of functioning street lights just ran through a field. (A pedestrian path was eventually routed along the lights).

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,333 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

There's a small section of road with overpass near coolqauy. always perplexed me

• Registered Users Posts: 2,240 ✭✭✭Boscoirl

The new lane on the M7 from the M9 Junction to Naas is the same

• Registered Users Posts: 9,176 ✭✭✭RobertFoster

Weepsie wrote: »
    There's a small section of road with overpass near coolqauy. always perplexed me
    That was built for Thornton Hall, a proposed prison, but plans were scrapped.

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/crime-and-law/thornton-hall-prison-site-that-cost-state-51m-offered-for-housing-1.3756763

It's used occasionally for film shoots too. That road is accessed from near the coolquay lodge.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,751 ✭✭✭Large bottle small glass

Roads which used to go somewhere but have been abandoned/severly neglected are way more interesting to ride.

They need to swap out that Google car for a jeep/unimog

https://www.strava.com/segments/14456821

Dropped pin
    Near Ballynamult, Co. Waterford
    https://maps.app.goo.gl/9pHiimKxKfhW6wtK8

Waterford
    Co. Waterford
    https://maps.app.goo.gl/gDxuGqJzuCeSNp7r7

Dropped pin
    Near Glenpatrick, Co. Waterford
    https://maps.app.goo.gl/B1bt1Kz6cV1nNmq28

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 11,391 Mod ✭✭✭✭Captain Havoc

https://ormondelanguagetours.com

Walking Tours of Kilkenny in English, French or German.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,799 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

A few cones, a bit of barrier tape and you could have a nice crit race going on there for your local club league.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,285 ✭✭✭Mercian Pro

i watched this video, and thought, 'oh, i wonder if that's a popular segment on Strava.

https://www.strava.com/segments/10538282

You probably cycle over the Irish equivalent regularly enough. The link road from the Slane Road near Coolquay to what was to have been Thornton Hall Super-Prison runs under the R130 at one point. Not sure about access or Strava segments but the road itself is fully serviced!

Too late, should have hit refresh first!

• Advertisement

Weepsie wrote: »
    It floods quite deeply whenever there is prolonged heavy rain. That would have been interesting if the prison had opened. Nobody would get in or out!

Advertisement